Niantic, CT

East Lyme Middle School
Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 20, 2015
Children should be allowed to be children, i.e., play, socialize, join clubs/sports and activities. The amount of homework for the four major subjects each night is too much. Kids do not have time to be kids, nor spend quality time with their family.

Posted June 20, 2015
I am on my third child attending ELMS and have had only the best experiences. The staff is very fair to all students.

Posted September 28, 2014
My 6th grader (new student) started apprehensive but in a week, he has flourished to be open, positive and loving towards his school. The leadership makes it a priority to be involved with the students, which shows me their dedication. The encouragement my student gets to aim high is subtle but strong and the outcome is a positive one. I am glad I made the decision to be part of this community.

Posted April 29, 2014
East Lyme middle school is one of the best schools for good education. The teachers are very welcoming, friendly and show interest on students inquisitiveness.

Posted September 12, 2013
East Lyme Middle School is an above average school. They have won many awards including CAS Middle School of the Year in 2012. ELMS uses a unique Kiva system which has pros and cons. It also helps by making the school of 900 students feel slightly smaller which is good for newcomers. ELMS serves grades 5-8 and is very good about Life Arts. Unlike other schools you have a full range of 'specials' from Tech Ed to Band to Orchestra to Life Skills. The teachers are very well selected and are perfect. I rate this school 4 stars for great classes, excellent teachers. I have removed one star because the kivas can be restricting when your child is limited to seeing friends from other kivas. In addition, the principle is not the best. She can be overly strict and moody.

Posted May 28, 2013
This school is the best one I've attended so far. I love the Kiva structure and I think most teachers are spectacular. However, I think there should be more options for children who are able to go to a more advanced class, as I find that many kids (including myself) are often bored. They do a great job with kids who are struggling academically, though.

East Lyme Middle School 1

Posted August 20, 2012
The staff and teachers at this school and Niantic Center are so coldhearted. They seemed so careless when I was going and didn't seem that interested in the students education

Posted August 12, 2012
I find East Lyme Middle School to be a terrific school. In my opinion the Kiva system works very well to make each student part of a manageable group. As far as I have experienced the teachers are diligent and responsive. Mr. Bitgood is super! Our student is enjoying his middle school years.

Posted May 08, 2009
I love East Lyme Middle School, they make learning so much fun! The teachers are so nice. I made friends for life!!! The teachers will push you hard but it will be worth it! East Lyme middle school is also a beautiful building and a national blue ribbon school.

Posted March 28, 2008
ELMS is a beautiful school based on a Kiva design which may not serve the children well when transitioning over to the high school. More importantly the administration is more concerned with cancelling halloween and school trips and enforcing dress codes instead of focusing on strengthening a very poor spanish program. At a time when the spanish language is dominant our children are just starting to learn colors and numbers in spanish and it doesnt improve much at the high school level either. There are a few great teachers which stand out and they are great resources. Overall it is a great school but again at the time of 'press 2 for spanish' our middle school needs to step up the program, and worry less about doing away with halloween parties and school trips.

East Lyme Middle School
31 Society Rd, Niantic, CT  06357
Last modified East Lyme Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Lyme Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top