Posted September 28, 2014
My 6th grader (new student) started apprehensive but in a week, he has flourished to be open, positive and loving towards his school. The leadership makes it a priority to be involved with the students, which shows me their dedication. The encouragement my student gets to aim high is subtle but strong and the outcome is a positive one. I am glad I made the decision to be part of this community.

Posted April 29, 2014
East Lyme middle school is one of the best schools for good education. The teachers are very welcoming, friendly and show interest on students inquisitiveness.

Posted September 12, 2013
East Lyme Middle School is an above average school. They have won many awards including CAS Middle School of the Year in 2012. ELMS uses a unique Kiva system which has pros and cons. It also helps by making the school of 900 students feel slightly smaller which is good for newcomers. ELMS serves grades 5-8 and is very good about Life Arts. Unlike other schools you have a full range of 'specials' from Tech Ed to Band to Orchestra to Life Skills. The teachers are very well selected and are perfect. I rate this school 4 stars for great classes, excellent teachers. I have removed one star because the kivas can be restricting when your child is limited to seeing friends from other kivas. In addition, the principle is not the best. She can be overly strict and moody.

Posted May 28, 2013
This school is the best one I've attended so far. I love the Kiva structure and I think most teachers are spectacular. However, I think there should be more options for children who are able to go to a more advanced class, as I find that many kids (including myself) are often bored. They do a great job with kids who are struggling academically, though.

Posted May 08, 2009
I love East Lyme Middle School, they make learning so much fun! The teachers are so nice. I made friends for life!!! The teachers will push you hard but it will be worth it! East Lyme middle school is also a beautiful building and a national blue ribbon school.

Posted March 02, 2009

Posted March 28, 2008
ELMS is a beautiful school based on a Kiva design which may not serve the children well when transitioning over to the high school. More importantly the administration is more concerned with cancelling halloween and school trips and enforcing dress codes instead of focusing on strengthening a very poor spanish program. At a time when the spanish language is dominant our children are just starting to learn colors and numbers in spanish and it doesnt improve much at the high school level either. There are a few great teachers which stand out and they are great resources. Overall it is a great school but again at the time of 'press 2 for spanish' our middle school needs to step up the program, and worry less about doing away with halloween parties and school trips.

Posted February 11, 2008
I think the school system is great. I moved here for 6th grade and i am learning so fast. I love ow they make kivas because that let new kids like me get to know a group of kids really well. One thing i would recomend is more time to get from class to class. East Lyme Middle School is a big school so it takes a while to get around. We get about three minuts to get places. I don't have enough time to get my stuff, change for gym, or even get from special to my kiva which is on the top floor.

Posted January 14, 2008

East Lyme Middle School 3

Posted January 04, 2008
Having two of my children having attended(ing) the Middle School, I'd have to say, it does not meet their needs. There is a dire need to look at the curriculum and overall school environment. The principal is not particularly 'present'. Both my children have stated boredom. The homework situation needs to be accessed also. Overall, regardless of class size and/or test scores, this school needs reassessment.

East Lyme Middle School
31 Society Rd, Niantic, CT  06357
Last modified East Lyme Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Lyme Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top