Norwalk, CT
Students enrolled: 1,531

Posted October 08, 2012
I went to Norwalk High School and let me tell you I am glad I did. NHS is a place where students who want to succeed can. It offers an honors version of almost every core class, wonderful art (dark room etc) and music classes, and tons of AP classes with more every year(English,Spanish(language and literature), French, Physics, Biology, Chem, US history, Comparative Politics, Euro History, Art, and more). It offers programs to expand students horizons with trips to China(which I did and was one of the best experiences of my life, I still talk to both my home stay "Chinese friends" and those of my fellow NHS students after 3 years), Spain, Rome, France, as well as trips to the tropics for biology. I loved many of my teachers and still talk to them. Most importantly the diversity in this school prepares students for the world. You learn about people, not just how to write a good essay (although you learn that too). I'm glad I didn't go to a "better" high school. I learned everything I need to know about academics and people. I can prove it with the acceptance of colleges: UConn, Northeastern U, U of Washington-Seattle. Waitlist: Vassar and Whitman College. Don't overlook NHS.

Posted December 30, 2008
Unfortunately, people continue to associate our school with drugs and violence. My brothers and sisters went to this school years ago, and I am graduating in 2009, and have personally not experienced any violence or drugs. People continue to judge our school based on what it looks like on the outside, a jail. So what if it looks like a jail. Yale looks like a highschool, and it's one of the best universities in the U.S. Norwalk High, while it has it's setbacks like all schools, is a great school. Student's have an array of courses to choose from, advanced placement courses that not even Staples offers. While Staples may be First in CT, Norwalk High carries tradition, along with a huge history that is everlasting in it's historic music department. This is a great school, and I am sad to see that it is constantly ridiculed.

Posted June 27, 2007
I'm not sure what high school the last parent sent his/her kids to, but it's certainly not the Norwalk High School my son just graduated from! Out of a class of 380 students, over three-fourths of the class will be attending colleges which include Notre Dame, Northeastern, George Washington, Sarah Lawrence, Hofstra, Wellesley, UConn, and the list goes on and on. No school is perfect, but the acting principal has worked wonders the past three years with curriculum, school spirit,and actually jump-started a renovation project that was stalled. NHS is a good school,but as with any school, the student will only get out of it what they put into it!

Posted March 14, 2006

Norwalk High School 2

Posted June 13, 2005
- a former student
As a recent NHS alum , I can tell you that beyond the tremendous music department there isn't much here. The few students (roughly 8%) from my graduating class that were accepted to decent colleges found themselves woefully underprepared for advanced study. Great place if you what to be a professional saxophone player, but for the other 99% of us that plan on doing something involving math or language skills it's awful.

Norwalk High School 5

Posted October 24, 2004
Norwalk High School is a profound institution that allows for development and acceptance. The shining star of the school is the music department. Never before has a facet of high school been so open and welcoming to their students. It provides a true niche for students to meet their peers and develop strong bonds that in turn teach values and withstanding morals that cannot be learned in any classroom. The Spring Musical is the most professional and outstanding aspect to NHS character. OKLAHOMA, last year's musical, resembled a Broadway production complete with dedicated students in the cast, crew, and pit. The talent onstage and off is remarkabley heartwarming to see from high school teenagers. No adminstration is without their faults, but the overall assessment shows that this school provides a strong learning basis that produces the leaders of tomorrow.

Norwalk High School 2

Posted May 24, 2004
- a former student
The honest truth about NHS is pretty hard to believe. Unfortunately, over the past few years, more and more students have become associated with gangs and other violence related groups. There is an unsafe level of drug use going around the school and it seems to be that my friends in the school keep telling me nothing is getting done about it. As a graduate of 2003, I was able to witness this first hand and can honestly say that the school is not going in the right direction. Yes they have all other sorts of nice features, like wonderful teachers, good sports, and great music programs, but the students that are attending the school are causing an alarming amount of violence and this is cause for concern. Parents please be aware and ask your children going to NHS to tell you if they feel safe.

Posted April 23, 2004
As a parent of 2 NHS students, I feel Norwalk HS has given my sons a solid background, both academically and socially, to be able to interact in today's World. Both have gone on to good colleges and have made many lifelong friends through their sports and extracurricular activities at Norwalk HS. NHS offers a variety of levels of learning as well, and an AP program that will challenge any exceptional student. The school also has an award-winning music department, and many sports teams that are FCIAC champions.

Norwalk High School 3

Posted August 26, 2003
This is a horrible school, most of the teachers could not care less about teaching. Many of the AP classes are a joke and about 200 students from every grade drop out by senior year. Only about 20 of the students from each class of 400 go to decent colleges after graduation.

Norwalk High School
23 Calvin Murphy Streetounty, Norwalk, CT  06851
Last modified Norwalk High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Norwalk High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top