Norwich, CT

Hickory Street School 0

Posted March 05, 2009
I have been working at Hickory Street School for 6 years. During that time, the school has evolved and developed ina every area. The academics are consistent with the Norwich curriculum. Because the children have emotional and behavioral issues, these factors have contributed to some children being behind-according to state standards. They are often not emotionally available for learning. One of our goals is to have their classroom time increase, as they learn strategies to cope with their emotional struggles. The staff here is constantly reviewing our policies and 'rules'. We are child centered. We observe behaviors over a period of time and assess whether or not our methods are helping contribute to success, or if the child's unwanted behaviors are increasing or staying the same. If there isn't any positive growth, what we are doing is not working and we modify or completely change what we are doing.

Hickory Street School 0

Posted September 29, 2008
I regret my previous review in 07/2004, clearly it was too soon (8 wks) to provide a clear assessment of HSS.. After having more time the following year to observe the management of this school, I found myself advocating to get him OUT of this school. 2004, I thought this school would help stabilize my child s emotional needs and then help prepare him to return to main stream. At first, this seem to be taking place, however, the more time that past, the less impressive I became. Poor management and ideals of this school, not only seem to have agitate my son, but academically he regressed, working at a grade or two below his level. State of CT ED, really should look into this school, I m sure they will not be impressed. 2008 my son attends NFA! If it were up to HSS, my son would be at Case ST!

Posted July 24, 2008
Phenomenal school with outstanding staff and progressive philosophy on the education process. They consistently work hard at helping each and every child recognize their own unique coping strategies, and develop them further. They set goals and hold the children accountable, but vigilently ensure that the child has the emotional and academic tools to reach those goals. This school is a dream come true for any parent of a child who struggles with special needs.

Posted September 06, 2007

Posted July 21, 2004
My son, who is 10 years old began attending Hickory Street School late last year - only 8 weeks left before summer vacation. In the small amount of time, I witness such a positive change in my son. This school has an experienced and caring staff. Their mission truly has the child's best interest at heart. They work both academically and emotionally with each and every student. They are able to provide children with special needs the opportunity to experience responsibility, respect and most importantly....success! My son will be attending this school for the 2004-2005 calendar year and I am excited to see us all move forward. If they were able to help my son improve his behavior, which in turn, improved his academics, in only 8 weeks - just imagine what promising outcomes we will all experience in an entire school year! Thank you so much for being there! Gratefully Yours, Tami Patterson

Hickory Street School