No rating

St John School

Private | PK-8

Living in Old Saybrook

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $380,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,020.

Posted August 23, 2013

Decent school. Some teachers are wonderful, including an amazing art teacher. Single class per grade. Some of the parents are wonderful at accepting new families.

Posted March 28, 2013

I could not be more pleased with this school. Our child is heads above her public school counterparts and is ahead of a cousin who attends school one grade higher in "one of the best school systems in the state." The parents are very supportive of each other; it is easy to become involved in your childs' education here. The teachers and the administration are approachable and helpful. I am very glad we made the decision to send our child here.

Posted December 4, 2012

Second child to go through this school from pre -school up. Challenging in a positive way. Prepares them well for high school.

Posted May 10, 2012

My children are completing their second year at St. John School and we could not be more happy with their progress, both academically, socially and spiritually. The teachers and entire staff at St. John's go above and beyond the call of duty to fully educate each and every child. Expectations in schoolwork and behavior are very high and the children rise to meet them. The art, music, technology and physical education programs are exceptional. These children leave St. John's extremely well prepared for high school and beyond. It is truly a remarkable experience!

Posted December 23, 2011

New administration has been wonderful. Lessons in Carols was breathtaking. Everytime I go in the building I become of something else that has been improved. Teachers are committed, loving and helpful. They go out of their way to help the children succeed.

Posted August 29, 2011

Love it !! sent one child from Pre-K through 8th. Now, starting second child there. I would never go anywhere else. Teachers are excellent -- families very kind.

Posted April 15, 2010

St. John has been a wonderful school for our daughter. I have found the staff to be very committed to the work that they do. The school is like a family and the teachers seem to work together well. A few things I like are the reading buddies program and the before and after school care. It is an excellent option for preschool as it is in many cases less expensive than day care and it is an all day program for pre k and kindergarten.

Posted March 26, 2010

St JOhn School has the BEST teachers ANYWHERE. They are a group of dedicated professionals who CHOOSE to earn LESS so they can teach in a Catholic school. Are there some parents who are immature, yes. Is it perfect, no. My children know more about their Catholic faith than some adults. The academics are superior, and the children are EXCPECTED to be respectful. If you want your child to be a confident, well rounded student send them to St Johns.

Posted March 25, 2010

I wish we made the choice to send our child to St. John sooner!!! The public school curriculum is at least 1 year behind St. John. St. John cares about the whole child, mind, body and spirit. The children are respected and in turn they learn how to respect others, naturally - it is not forced. One parent commented on the 'elitist' attitude of parents at St. John...In my opinion the benefit of the education and life skill development is priceless and I can overlook the fact that some parents may form cliques- that is not me and I am fine not being a part of it.

Posted March 25, 2010

I am so glad we came to St. Johns school. The children have learned so much, and have a high expectation of themselves after coming here. My family has even noticed a change in how they kids talk about school and learning. It's what a parent wants for their family.

Posted March 9, 2010

St John School is a wonderful school. I think that this was the best choice that I have made for my children thus far, sending them to St. John. The teachers go above and beyond in all aspects in all areas. They teach to each student and wants as well expects each student to succeed. I am also finding more and more information about alumni, law school, deans list, highest honors, etc. I couldn't be more happy with this school.

Posted March 1, 2010

I was very excited to send my son here this year, but as the school year has progressed, my excitement has dwindled greatly. I do really like his teacher, but one good teacher is not enough. The majority of the families have a lot of money and an elitist attitude towards those of us who don't measure up. There are a couple kids in my son's class that seem to have behavioral issues which are ignored by their parents who think they are the most perfect little angels. The parents are separated into cliques which resemble high school. I thought that this would be a great place for my son, but my mind has changed and he will be attending public school next year.

Posted January 31, 2010

After leaving public school 3 yrs ago we found through testing that our children, grades 4 & 6 were one grade behind those at St. John's. We are pleased with the curriculum and the moral training. The kids are taught to respect themselves, the teachers and their elders. There are not alot of 'extras' at the school but tutition is reasonable for a good education. Isn't that why we send our kids to school? Parent involvement is expected as a trade off to lower costs via volunteer hours & fundraising. Class sizes are larger than public schools, but teachers are in control and don't need a paraeducator to cope. Teachers have the flexability to hold a class a little longer to finish a project or concept instead of trying to cram it all in or skip something to make the bell and are available before & after school.

Posted January 28, 2010

Our children started in a public school that we were pleased with. After only a short time at SJS we were very impressed. What a difference. It is wonderful to see our children being taught to succeed and to want the best for themselves. They are challenged or helped when applicable. Now a few years down the line we know we made the right decision for our childrens' futures.

Posted October 29, 2009

4th Only 2 things that stick out. The boys wear now ties and uncomfortable shoes without support, and the children are not allowed to play after school on the playground. The last one is probably more because the principal does not like to see parents chatting with each other after school. The principal does not like chatting and gossiping. A great way to stop this would be to stop gossiping and chatting in the principal s office. Not too long, and our time at St.John s will be over. We worry for those that have children at a younger age in this school and for the really great teachers. This could be such a wonderful little school. With this principal, we fear it is only a matter of time, until St.John will close the doors again, this time for good.

Posted July 22, 2009

Administration needs to be replaced by honest people who actually seem to care about you and your child. My experiences with this school and administration have been worrisome. I've compared the curriculum at this school with the curriculum of the local public school that a friend's children goes to and it is embarrassing how far behind St. John's is. I don't know where the previous reviewer is getting their info. All you need to do is check with the Ct Dept of Ed to see what is what.This school is not worth the tuition.

Posted January 15, 2009

Achieves excellence across all categories. An education here far surpasses anything one could expect in a public school system.

Posted November 12, 2008

Elitism runs rampant.Administration ineffectual and dishonest. OLM a much better school

Posted September 12, 2008

We chose St. John School over all other private or public school options because of their focus on academics and character building. After 10 years at St. John's, our oldest earned 2 academic scholarships to private high schools. In our observation, kids leave St. John's better eqipped for HS than most of their public school contemporaries. And more polite.

Posted June 23, 2008

The students are challenged academically and pushed to suceed. They are taught morals in the context of Christanity and given real life applications of the same. It is great preperation for a college prep high school with emphasis on success.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Norwich

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

42 Maynard Road