Posted March 31, 2014
I've lived in Redding since my daughter was born, and remember hearing wonderful things about the public school system. sadly that was long ago. My daughter is now in the 6th grade at JRMS, and it has been a nightmare. she is bullied all the time, and teachers do not care. the academics are horrendous. she is miserable. I know of may families of students pulling them out and putting them in the neighboring town's catholic school or other private schools, and they are all thrilled. I NEVER thought I would say this (we are not catholic), and we are not a super rich family that can easily afford many of the other private school options, but my daughter may be next. I have heard excellent stories about how well children who have been pulled out are doing. I can not, in good conscience, send my child back to John Read next year.

Posted March 20, 2014
Good schools... JRMS is not one of them. I used to attended this middle school along with 3 of my best friends, now I still do not attend the but my 3 good friends do. Speaking for every single student in that school that I know of, John Read Is a terrible school (freedom of speech). The best part about this review is that if I were still attending John Read Middle school i'd be suspended most likely for even thinking of posting my option of this so called safe and fun learning place. Let me start with the teachers; JRMS has several wonderful teachers that will actually teach you something unlike a creepy science teacher that makes girls feel uncomfortable or a lazy History teacher that sits at his desk while the kids wait for him to teach something. The saddest part about the staff at John Read is that they make the students hate themselves and turn them into something their not. My entire grade change drastically from 6-7 grade and my feeling toward this is due to the lack of respect the teachers gave their students which made the students feel as if they shouldn't give themselves respect if an adult wouldn't bother to give them the right respect they deserve.

Posted October 22, 2012
I'm an alumna of JRMS and it was the worst experience of my life. I was severely bullied on a regular basis. My parents notified school administrators and they did nothing to counsel me or stop the bullying. The academics were lackluster at best.

John Read Middle School 2

Posted August 01, 2011
Because this school refuses to step 'outside the box', I filed with the Federal Government that my daughter''s Title VI Rights had been violated. Their Office of Civil Rights agreed and listed numerous areas where they had discriminated against my daughter. They were made to pay for summer school, and are required to submit a report monthly of what they are doing to identify children, testing them, the outcome of the tests and progress reports. This may last for several years. This is the third time I needed to challenge this school system for three different children. If your child doesn't fit 'in the box', don't have them go here.

Posted December 15, 2010
this school was dreadful. the slightest bit out of the ordinary your child seems, the less the staff are willing to step in when things go awry with other students. until i witnessed my son being pushed to the ground by his peers and brought them all to the principal's office, nothing really got done as far as behavioral rectification, and even then i had to cajole the academic system quite a bit. i ended up sending my son elsewhere. this school is extremely poor as far as specialized needs go.

Posted January 05, 2010

Posted December 07, 2009

Posted October 22, 2009
this school is absolutely wonderful and welcoming!

John Read Middle School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
Great teachers; Great programs; and my grandson is in 7th Grade!

Posted February 22, 2009
My child attended Read for four years. He is a hard working, independent learner, and the school helped him develop the skills and attitude he needs for high school and for life.

John Read Middle School
Route 53, Redding, CT  06896
Last modified John Read Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Read Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top