Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

John Read is very progressive and provides a great education. It is a GREAT school!

I've lived in Redding since my daughter was born, and remember hearing wonderful things about the public school system. sadly that was long ago. My daughter is now in the 6th grade at JRMS, and it has been a nightmare. she is bullied all the time, and teachers do not care. the academics are horrendous. she is miserable. I know of may families of students pulling them out and putting them in the neighboring town's catholic school or other private schools, and they are all thrilled. I NEVER thought I would say this (we are not catholic), and we are not a super rich family that can easily afford many of the other private school options, but my daughter may be next. I have heard excellent stories about how well children who have been pulled out are doing. I can not, in good conscience, send my child back to John Read next year.

I'm an alumna of JRMS and it was the worst experience of my life. I was severely bullied on a regular basis. My parents notified school administrators and they did nothing to counsel me or stop the bullying. The academics were lackluster at best.

Because this school refuses to step 'outside the box', I filed with the Federal Government that my daughter''s Title VI Rights had been violated. Their Office of Civil Rights agreed and listed numerous areas where they had discriminated against my daughter. They were made to pay for summer school, and are required to submit a report monthly of what they are doing to identify children, testing them, the outcome of the tests and progress reports. This may last for several years. This is the third time I needed to challenge this school system for three different children. If your child doesn't fit 'in the box', don't have them go here.

this school was dreadful. the slightest bit out of the ordinary your child seems, the less the staff are willing to step in when things go awry with other students. until i witnessed my son being pushed to the ground by his peers and brought them all to the principal's office, nothing really got done as far as behavioral rectification, and even then i had to cajole the academic system quite a bit. i ended up sending my son elsewhere. this school is extremely poor as far as specialized needs go.

this school is absolutely wonderful and welcoming!

Great teachers; Great programs; and my grandson is in 7th Grade!

My child attended Read for four years. He is a hard working, independent learner, and the school helped him develop the skills and attitude he needs for high school and for life.

The lack of diversity and Lake Wobegon attutude of community negatively impacts on a well funded and staffed school. The physical plant lacks a gathering space large enough to hold the whole school community, the sports fields are no longer adequate to meet the needs of the school population.

John Read is a terrific middle school. There is a lack of real diversity that bothers me sometimes, but the depth of both knowledge and caring the staff shows for my son has been wonderful for all four of his years there. He has become a strong, caring, socially aware young man, and his school has helped rather than hindered him.

Last modified John Read Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.