Posted September 17, 2014
We moved from Florida last year and I've done extensive research of the schools in Fairfield County. We chose to move to this specific area so my son could attend Eastern Middle School and I just couldn't be happier. The teachers are great and very supportive, always willing to help the kids before and after class. The staff was very helpful during enrollment and the principal is amazing. He knows every single child at school very well and keeps a close eye on them to make sure they're thriving. The kids are hardworking and kind, with very few exceptions. We made the right choice.

Posted March 27, 2014
Okay so I attended this school for 3 years in the 1980s when it was still 7th-9th grades. So maybe my views are out of date. At the time, it was one of the best public middle schools in the country and the top of the 3 middle schools in the area. Academically it was strong, bullying was not tolerated (I was bullied and boy it was handled). Sports were encouraged, computer science was at the cutting edge (and this was the 1980s remember). If we moved from CA to the East coast, this is where I'd be sending my own kids.

Eastern Middle School 1

Posted May 17, 2013
Spoiled kids, entitled parents, mediocre teachers at best. Where else in the US does a public school plan a $1000 per student field trip every year????

Posted January 31, 2009
I absolutely love eastern. The teachers are really smart and nice, the food is fantastic, the administration is amazing, the classrooms have lots of new technology, it's in a very convenient location, and the students are really really nice and friendly. I'm in 6th grade and my brother just graduated 8th grade, we both love it. If you are considering moving, move to greenwich! eastern is by far the best middle school in the state.

Posted January 31, 2009
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE EASTERN. The teachers are really smart and nice, the food is fantastic, the administration is amazing, the classrooms have lots of new technology, it's in a very convenient location, and the students are really really nice and friendly. I'm in 6th grade and my brother just graduated 8th grade, we both LOVE it. If you are considering moving, MOVE TO GREENWICH! Eastern is by far the best middle school in the state.

Posted December 03, 2008
I just moved from private school to EMS and I love it! At private school nobody got along, but at EMS everyones friends! No fights or anything! Even though the teachers usually teach from testbooks, many make it very interesting. It also has many classes that private schools do not. And Mr Mayo is AWESOME!

Eastern Middle School 3

Posted May 26, 2007
- a former student

Posted November 12, 2006
I am a parent of 6th grade children new to EMS. I am very pleased with the staff and their attentiveness to the children and their needs. I feel EMS is the best school around, compared even to the private schools. Offer a lot, in both academics and outside interests.

Eastern Middle School 2

Posted January 03, 2006
- a former student
I am a former EMS student who graduated three years ago. Reflecting on my experience, I feel that the school did me a disservice. The teaching methods applied were extremely outdated and the faculty members generally were very unhelpful in identifying learning disabilities in students. There seemed to be a negative attitude of 'Blame the student, because his parents will believe us more then they will believe him' whenever a conflict arose. Ultimately, Eastern Middle School is probably the weakest link among the greenwich public schools.

Eastern Middle School 3

Posted August 01, 2005
Very few teachers at Eastern care enough about their job as to teach in a stimulating, intriguing, and challenging manner. As teachers from Eastern teach straight from the book, our children's educational experiences are limited, and thus the students never have a chance to broaden their horizons and obtain a genuine zest for learning. Eastern also prides itself on high standardized test scores, which are simply a reflection of a child's natural intellect, not a reflection on how well the students have been taught. Lastly, a few rules and many narrow-minded teachers at Eastern discourage student individuality, while in general I have found that the hard work of academically talented students has gone unappreciated.

Eastern Middle School
51 Hendrie Ave, Riverside, CT  06878
Last modified Eastern Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eastern Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top