North Mianus School 4

Posted April 10, 2014
As the parent of 1st and 3rd graders, we have had nothing but a positive experience at NMS. We have had great, engaged teachers at the various grade levels and the support staff has been wonderful. While the physical structure of the facility is definitely showing it's age, the classrooms maintain advanced levels of technology for learning in today's age. I think what I like most is the fact that the school maintains a small community feel to it.

Posted October 03, 2013
Great school. I have three children going through North Mianus. I find the teachers to be caring and engaged. The school also develops skills for the standardized testing programs. I am also able to join my child for lunch and there are guest musicians on Friday's.

Posted June 15, 2013
The class sizes have definitely gotten too big. My daughter is also in a class of 26 kids and its too much for her teacher to handle. There's also lots of teasing/bullying gong on and absolutely no accountability. We're very glad to be leaving after this year.

Posted June 03, 2013
I agree with the last review. Though I'm not sure about small classes, since both my children are in classes with 26 students. This school has classes that are too big and there are teachers who can't handle the class sizes. There are many great teachers at this school, but if you are not lucky to get one... well lets just say the standard must be low when hiring. My children have also had teachers in this school who would easily fall into what your child has run into. Sad when they don't feel that there is one single adult in the school they can turn to. Hence the huge bully environment. As for actual learning, your child better not stray from the norms, or you better find another school. There are teachers who actual believe that one size fits all!!!! Stay away from them, if you can. They teach to test. Test scores are everything. (CMTs that is) If moving into the area... there are better schools in the area. There are many parents unhappy with the quality of education their children are getting at this school.

Posted June 02, 2013
The school is beautiful and the classes are small, but the "daily grind" and the impersonal environment provides no inspiration, no charm, no smiles. Recently, all parents got to see a daily activity in my son s classroom and it was surreal. Kids were pushing buttons on the SmartBoard and mindlessly reading information off the screen - I felt like I was in the middle of a futuristic sci-fi movie. I am sure this type of academic environment produces excellent standardized test takers but no creativity, no social development, no desire to learn. The other day, when I picked up my son from school, I saw that he wet his pants (for the first time in 3 years). His jeans were drenched all down the middle, but no one (including the teacher) noticed. To make things worse, when I asked him why he didn't just go to the bathroom, he told me he couldn't because they are not allowed to go back inside during recess. Even though he has been there and has known these teachers for almost a year now, there was still no one he felt he could turn to for help. I don t think high CMT scores are worth your kids thinking that they must obey at all cost and feeling like no one cares too Orwellian.

Posted February 28, 2012
NMS is a great school - The Principal and Vice-Principal are excellent, as well as the teachers. There is a strong PTA involvement and community feel everywhere. I love the school and am pround to have my 3 kids there !

Posted January 21, 2012
The new principal has made an incredible difference over the past few years. Dedicated teachers, focused parents make this school the choice school of eastern Greenwich. The school offers an Advance Learning program and has an onsite after-school program via the OGRCC. Many people who origninally considered ISD as a choice elementary school are glad that ultimately they choose NMS. ISD has the name, but this is the elementary school to send your children to if you want them to have the core bulding blocks that will be needed in middle school and thereafter.

Posted January 03, 2012
North Mianus is the best public elementary school in Greenwich. Strong leadership from the Principal and Vice Principal, excellent teachers in all grade levels, wonderful programs for both special education and advanced learning, a wonderful community of caring and involved parents, and an amazing PTA.

Posted March 10, 2011
I don't think you get better teachers than those at North Mianus. Despite an overly politicized Board of Education and some too-large class sizes (over 19), the teachers at NMS find a way to give each child the individual attention he/she needs in order to succeed. The teachers here are simply incredible.

Posted August 20, 2009
I am the reviewer from October 2, 2008 and feel compelled to write again to inform any new readers of this site that the principal about whom I wrote previously retired at the end of last school year. We, as a school community are pleased about our new principal, as we hear all good things about her from parents at the school she comes to us from. Everything else in my previous review still applies - we are very happy at North Mianus.

North Mianus School
309 Palmer Hill Rd, Riverside, CT  06878
Last modified North Mianus School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Mianus School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top