Stamford, CT

King Low Heywood Thomas School 1

Posted April 05, 2015
I wish I could give separate ratings for the academic program and the overall experience. King has a rigorous, extensive, and demanding academic program. I have nothing but good to say about the Lower School's academics; my two very-different kids both thrived and there was lots of personalization in the education. All of that changes in the Middle School. Both my straight-A student and my B-student struggled. Homework is extensive to the point of being overwhelming and leaves little time for friends and family. Bullying is rampant. King used to pride itself on personalizing the experience for students, but this is practically non-existent in the MS and I felt like my kids were the equivalent of white noise to most of the faculty and staff. Academically, King is a great school. However, there is little done to promote good values and ethics among the students. Ultimately, my kids were happier after we pulled them from King and sent them to schools that highly valued kindness, integrity, "knowing" each child extremely well, and having a school-life balance that allowed for strong academics and a personal life.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 08, 2014
this is our third year at King and i have not yet ceased to be impressed by the balance of academic acuity and the emphasis on personal individual development in each student. the revamped upper school is wonderful, a perfect mate to the middle school and performing arts center. the care with which my daughter's schedule and balance of course work has been exemplary, meeting her needs and providing support and encouragement. we appreciate the balance of athletics, the arts and academia, and are most impressed with the strong program in community outreach and education.
2 people found this helpful

King Low Heywood Thomas School 1

Posted May 19, 2014
I am a student at king and in my opinion King is way too easy. You never learn anything in most of your classes but still get by with good grades. I am yet to have to do any homework at home for any of my classes this year, but have a B average. Since you dont learn anything standardized testing becomes difficult, which leads to low SAT scored among most of the students. If you want a very easy school that will get you into a decent college, King is fine, but if you want more i would avoid this school.

King Low Heywood Thomas School 3

Posted March 01, 2014
King has an interesting environment because it's a mixture of kid's who never stop working, whose lives revolve purely around school work, and those that are regular kids still willing to work but also trying to grow up. This dynamic is common for many schools, yet at King the students whose lives are not dominated by stress are looked down upon. There is a certain doubt, amongst parents, faculty and students, in the idea that a kid can make it through high school without a rigorous schedule. There are several factors that bring down my overall impression of King. The first are the parents, many are overprotective, and overreactive, and it can quite frankly drive you insane. Everyone is expected to donate, everyone is expected to be involved at all times, yet half the kids are treated as if they are nonexistent. King's priorities are in academics, and if you are not benefitting their agenda then you are replaceable by another 20 applicants coming next year. If you want a good education, King is the place to go, but if you want personal growth, and exposure to reality, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 11, 2013
King is a school striving to be the best, the energy is evident in every aspect of the school, student and faculty enthusiasm. Yes there is a strong request to donate to the annual fund..AS THERE IS IN EVERY independent school. There is also an emphasis that you give within your reach, its about participation not amount. That embodies the philosophy of the school.

King Low Heywood Thomas School 4

Posted November 02, 2013
The school is wonderful! We love it here but as another reviewer mentioned there is an intense pressure to give to the annual fund. It makes us very uncomfortable. As much as we love it here...this is the one drawback.

Posted April 26, 2011
King has the small-town school community atmosphere without the private school attitude. Both of my children have very different learning style, and both are excelling due to the fantastic teachers. My children and I could not be happier here!

King Low Heywood Thomas School 0

Posted April 28, 2010
The kids here are family to my child, but some kids are snobby, and some are troublemakers. Some of the teachers take forever to grade a simple quiz, while others give it back that same day. There are many cliques. They don't push them in school and my child's friend is getting B's in English because they don't push her.

Posted February 22, 2010

King Low Heywood Thomas School 0

Posted November 08, 2009
Constant fundraising detracts from goal of education. Loads of political posturing. High percentage of teachers children in attendance. Teachers with certification, curriculum review and resources might improve the situation.

King Low Heywood Thomas School
1450 Newfield Avenue, Stamford, CT  06905
Last modified King Low Heywood Thomas School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
King Low Heywood Thomas School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top