Stamford, CT

King Low Heywood Thomas School 4

Posted June 05, 2015
king has a beautiful facility, however it is time to concentrate on the teachers, curriculum, diversity of all types and improving the administration of the Upper School.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 05, 2015
They are trying, but the school has grown to fast. This is also the iPhone generation. I hear they are bringing in a new Headmaster for the Middle School so I have to give them points for trying. We will see.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 05, 2015
Depends on the teacher - there are some very caring teachers in the lower and middle school. There are also a few that have been disasters and unfortunately when that happens the child misses the building blocks for the future. However, to be fair I am sure that these problems also exist in other schools. The lower and middle school seem to have a more caring group of teachers. I don't have the same feeling towards the high school. There, I feel that the student growth has been overwhelming and I am saddened to see the lack of a real library in favor of all that opened space. King is a good school and one whose administration and faculty will work on to get things right. It certainly is a beautiful school and is located where there is strong demand.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 05, 2015
Too much and inconsistent. They would do well to have an even flow and to return to using some textbooks instead of power points generated by teachers. To learn the students needs to be rested and to have the ability to have consistent classwork taught in advance of homework. There is no cooperation between the athletic department, the teachers and the teacher workshops.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted June 05, 2015
Yes, if you are not persistent - you are not going to fit into how the school is perceived by the board and administration. I have seen many kids graduate successfully and I have seen others hurt by the process. Sadly, some kids are turned off by the process and again I feel they grew to fast.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 05, 2015
There is bullying and disrespect amoung the students. The staff brushes issues off such as bullying. But, this is the world we live in and you probably would find that everywhere.

King Low Heywood Thomas School 3

Posted June 05, 2015
The school has gotten too big and competitive. Good campus though, great digital program. If you are looking for a rigorous education, this is the place to be.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 05, 2015
I think the community has grown too large too fast. Unfortunately, this is also the iPhone generation and all schools have had bullying problems. To King's credit they started to monitor the iPhone's this year . I do know there is a new head of the Middle School coming in and I hope he would concentrate on supporting good core values. Academics are important but so are character, empathy, kindness and having a diversity not only of nationalities, athletes, brilliant students, scholarship, teacher's children and students that should be rewarded for their hard work. Above all they need to work on strong core values which are traditionally a huge problem in ALL schools in the middle School. Your Middle School is the wave of the FUTURE.

King Low Heywood Thomas School 1

Posted April 05, 2015
I wish I could give separate ratings for the academic program and the overall experience. King has a rigorous, extensive, and demanding academic program. I have nothing but good to say about the Lower School's academics; my two very-different kids both thrived and there was lots of personalization in the education. All of that changes in the Middle School. Both my straight-A student and my B-student struggled. Homework is extensive to the point of being overwhelming and leaves little time for friends and family. Bullying is rampant. King used to pride itself on personalizing the experience for students, but this is practically non-existent in the MS and I felt like my kids were the equivalent of white noise to most of the faculty and staff. Academically, King is a great school. However, there is little done to promote good values and ethics among the students. Ultimately, my kids were happier after we pulled them from King and sent them to schools that highly valued kindness, integrity, "knowing" each child extremely well, and having a school-life balance that allowed for strong academics and a personal life.

King Low Heywood Thomas School 5

Posted September 08, 2014
this is our third year at King and i have not yet ceased to be impressed by the balance of academic acuity and the emphasis on personal individual development in each student. the revamped upper school is wonderful, a perfect mate to the middle school and performing arts center. the care with which my daughter's schedule and balance of course work has been exemplary, meeting her needs and providing support and encouragement. we appreciate the balance of athletics, the arts and academia, and are most impressed with the strong program in community outreach and education.

1450 Newfield Avenue, Stamford, CT  06905
Last modified King Low Heywood Thomas School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
King Low Heywood Thomas School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top