Posted December 09, 2014
The Children s School truly is the "happy place" for our family. While my son receives an excellent education (my 5 year old is doing 2nd grade math and reading), I have made friendships that will last my lifetime.

Posted November 23, 2014
The Children's School does an amazing job nurturing each child as an individual. At 3-years-old, our son struggled socially when he first started at TCS. The teachers lovingly supported his social skill building by helping him invite friends to play. Soon he was confident in groups and enjoyed play-dates at other children s homes, as well as our own. The head of school and teachers kept us in the loop with his growth and pointed us in the right direction regarding books to read and lectures to attend regarding how to help him make friends. We are first time parents who are grateful to TCS for this invaluable support. We couldn t imagine raising our children without the school s wise guidance.

Posted November 17, 2014
I have been a parent at The Children s School for over 8 years. I now have three children who have attended (one is still at the school) and have considered having more kids just to prolong my time as a member of this fabulous community. This is more than a school, it is a community and a family. I drive over 30 minutes each way so that my children can experience this wonderful school!

Posted September 26, 2014
The Children's School is exactly what its name indicates...focused on the children. The positive language they use with the children, the carefully prepared classroom, and loving teachers all make this a nurturing community for young children. The way that they can individualize for each child is unmatched. The hands-on materials make learning a concrete experience that resonates with children and allows them to soar. The bottom line is that The Children's School is a gift for parents and children alike. This is a school that will help your child blossom into a lifelong learner. My children and I couldn't be happier! I just wish it went through 5th (make that 8th) grade!

Posted September 23, 2014
Pretentious, feels more like a country clubby environment than a school. Seems very rigid in their approach to teaching very little kids, the teachers sound like they follow a step by step guide instead of using their own creativity. Not impressed.

Posted May 30, 2014
my first impression was a calm, inviting environment for young children. No screaming or fighting kids - but then I realized that there was something very off about the school. There was no excitement at all. The staff were extremely polite and friendly except for the director- Betsy McGowan. She was much more focused on the parents in the group that had connections with the school. They even got a special package and tour. . She mentioned they don't use instruments in class because she doesn't like noise. I literally was ushered out and she yanked a toy out of my child's hands. She lsaid "we don't screen children here. We accept kids based on whether we like the parents and if they like us". Everyone has a different parenting style. But if you put your child in a place that suffocates creativity, excitement and even humor- what kind of a child will you bring up? I'm sure the school gets plenty of applications from parents duped enough by Betsy's aloof presence and the $15k vs $30k tuition but if you want your child excited about life- don't put them in a school that will only promote dull conformity.

Posted October 29, 2013
The Children's School is a wonderful school for young children. We have two sons (they are complete opposites) who attended TCS and the School did an amazing job nurturing their different learning styles. The teachers knew our boys incredibly well and developed individual programs to best support each child's needs. We always had a clear understanding of what our boys were experiencing in the classroom through conversations with teachers and observation sessions where we watched our boys through a one-way mirror learning and playing. Parents also meet with the head of school each year for a "video conference." Together, you review segments of your child's lessons and play time and talk about their progress. The open communication with the school was a great comfort when our three-year-olds were going to school for the first time. TCS also offers many parenting resources. From hosting speakers who address important parenting issues to setting up meetings with specialists, TCS helps parents think about their role and responsibility and be the best that they can be.

Posted July 24, 2013
Revolutionizing education! Incredible philosophy and community. Have only heard and experienced great things. The teacher are great and the children graduate with such a love for learning

Posted May 24, 2013
Admission process is not transparent and is shrouded in mystery. A clear waiting list is never shared which makes me wonder if the process is biased.

Posted August 29, 2012
Fabulous school! Our son is returning for his third year (1st grade). The teachers are incredibly thoughtful, cheerful and capable. Teachers regularly observe one another and are required to praise and constructively criticize one another. The results are amazing. I wish all schools worked this way. Children are loved and taught as individuals. Every child gets a daily one-on-one lesson with a teacher. Classes in art, yoga, social studies, science, music, dance/movement, Spanish, chess (K+), plus math/reading/logical reasoning and unstructured outdoor time. The buildings and campus are beautiful, with lots of natural light and large rooms that allow children to roam freely and choose which activities they're interested in. Drop-off and pick-up can require 10-minute waits while cars loop around the long driveway. Experts come to talk with parents several times a year (some of these lectures are open to the public). The main problem is that it ends at 2nd grade and kids eventually must leave. And only a half-day program for 3-year-olds.

The Children's School