Posted June 09, 2014
I like KT murphy school. This school is one of the best schools in stamford. It is breath of fresh air! All the teachers and staff genuinely love children and believe all children can learn and do well. The curriculum was designed to develop the child as a whole. There is a huge focus on academics as well as character development. The teachers are more than well qualified. If you reach out to a teacher, they always get back to you within 24 hrs. They implement differentiated learning ; no matter what academic level your child is at, your child will continue to learn and move northbound. Miss Oken is one of the best teacher..Thank you all

Posted April 22, 2014
K T Murphy is a great school. School staffs are very friendly. My daughter 2nd grader loves to go school every day. Especially principal - he is an amazing supper support for our kids...

Posted April 21, 2014
Our family has had a great experience at KT Murphy throughout my son's kindergarten year. His teachers are great and he gets the differentiated instruction that is appropriate from him. He started this year with no word recognition skills and unable to read, I can not begin to explain the progress he has made, rattling off site words, reading basic books on his and loving it all the while. On top of that he references science experiments, cultural traditions and is doing addition and subtraction. He is very happy going to school each day and has also shown tremendous growth socially & emotionally. There are things he is taking away from his KT Murphy experience that are not quantifiable, he is beginning to build an understanding of what a diverse world is and what that means for him. We made a choice as a family to choose Stamford Public schools and KT Murphy, we had other options and the means to pursue them. There was debate in our family around what we should do, and we could not be more happy with our decision. As you choose a place to live and a public school system be very thoughtful about your decision, remember to value a variety of things.

Posted April 19, 2014
My daughter studies is in 4th Grade ,Teachers are really good , they are not just teaching , they are trying to make sure if student understand concept behind every topic and how it is used in our day to day life ,whether it is science/maths or English. Management is great they introduced cultural and educational events which helps students to develop scientifically and social awareness

Posted April 18, 2014
My school is KT Murphy. My son is in kindergarten and is doing great! He's reading and writing at a first grade level. He's doing math problems that amaze me for his age! The school provides so much support. The events and activities for families are GREAT! So many opportunities to be involved in the school and know the teachers, principal and other parents! We love it!

Posted February 12, 2014
Great school! My second grader reads at 4 grade level, gets all the support she needs, good teachers and administrators. They focus on behavior and discipline which I support. The only problem are kids that should be in special schools due to learning issues... But yet parents insist on having them in regularly schools and then complain about teachers not doing their job! *read previous post.....

Posted September 17, 2013
KTM exceeded our expectations. Regarding the scores, understand that this is an urban school; we're not in a homogeneous suburb full of professionals. The fact that some children have disadvantages does not mean that your child will not thrive. There is a rich diversity here; both students and parents benefit -- many strands in a wonderful tapestry, evident at our PTO meetings and numerous family events (Movie Nights, Museum Night, etc). It is truly what American public education should be -- kids from diverse backgrounds learning together. Excellent curriculum and teaching. The school emphasizes community and social-emotional learning through the Responsive Classroom approach. Administration and staff are dedicated. They're responsive to parents and kind to the children. They are committed to enriching the learning environment. (The negative 2009 review was a different principal.). Enrichment opportunities exist. KTM excelled in the Odyssey of the Mind competition (3rd in CT), has a Lego team and chess club, etc. Test scores are improving, and children thrive. http://www.ktmurphy.org/Data/Sites/23/documents/data-2013.pdf

Posted January 15, 2013
This is indeed a good school. The school uses a lof of online teaching aids by way of games that helps the kids to enjoy and learn. This do create eagerness in kids to learn and play. I have not been to other schools in the area to be able to see where KTM lacks but overall I can see a lot of activities for kids to remain engaged with the school.

Posted August 22, 2011
KTM is a great school that shown remarkable improvements over the last 3-4 years! I checked the CMTs and they have out gained the pace of growth for other schools. Is there room for improvement? --Ofcourse, no one would deny that, even the hard working teachers and staff. As a parent who is involved and knows a bit about the system, they are doing great things at the school! This stuff about not following the curriculum appears to be misguided, given that the entire district does not have a set spelling test, yet they all embed this in the instruction. (I asked parents at other schools I know.) The drive, heart, and a spirit that is kid focused --permeates this historic building. I take pride in what we have begun to build here as a parent, and it's a shame there always someone that has some other motive. I contacted one of the reading volunteers from the JFF....they confirmed their feelings about the excitement and the great things they are seeing at KT. I know that the five teachers my two kids have had go over and beyond their call of duty. I Absolutely recommend this school.

K. T. Murphy School 1

Posted July 17, 2011
This school puts the S in shameful. They do not follow the city curriculum from the BofE. I contacted my child's teacher because it seemed that the work load was a little lax, I asked for test scores, specifically spelling and vocabulary and the response was "we don't do that". What?!?!?!?!?!?!? I know this isn't true, so can only assume the teachers and or faculty are too lazy to follow curriculum. My child will not be attending KTM next year and is now behind, so because the school has failed he is forced to learn at home this summer. He's not assigned to summer school, but is not up to par for a 4th grader. Like a said, shameful! I see the teachers and other parents rah-rah over KTM, but after the experiecing the actual failings of this school, I honestly believe the stats are correct and this is one of the WORST schools in Stamford. A neighbor of mine also volunteers as a reading coach at KTM and does not want to go back because of quality, failure and disgrace of this school.

K. T. Murphy School
19 Horton St, Stamford, CT  06902
Last modified K. T. Murphy School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
K. T. Murphy School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top