St. James School

Private | PK-8 | 366 students

Living in Stratford

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $215,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,410.

Sweep tile

Posted January 17, 2014

Our family moved to the Stratford area when my son was 2. We took the next couple of years to look at schools and talk to people about the pros and cons of the schools in the area. We settled in Stratford because the public schools were rated pretty high and it was affordable relative to the other areas. Once we started talking to other parents in the area we were told to visit St James and St. Marks. We visited both schools, and both were very nice. The one thing that stuck me the most at St. James, was that each time I went to go through a doorway and there was a student in front of me, that student (male or female) held the door for me. I was very impressed with the fact that the student are taught as a whole person and not just facts and procedures. They emphasis knowledge, respect, caring, family, and faith just to mention some of the high points. We have been at St. James for 3 years now and everyday my son always looks forward to going to school. How shocking is that! That alone says more than I could every say about the school. Do not pass up the opportunity to stop in at an open house, or just make a casual visit to meet some of the people at St James.

Posted January 17, 2014

Without a doubt sending my children to St .James was the best decision we made. They offer a comforting & secure environment for which our children can blossom and be whatever they want to be. Is it perfect ..no.... but what is?? And that's just find with us ! They have an involved community of parents that after our kids leave the school we will still be friends for years afterwards!

Posted November 6, 2013

i used to be a student at this school, and I can actually say, without pause that this school has emotionally scarred me for life. The teachers can usually be trusted to not actually teach you a single thing, the school is dirty all the time, and it did not prepare me at all for the strains of high school. I will not name names, but many teachers verbally abused the students, and if you try to ask a higher authority to tell them to stop, they take the teachers side. If you care at all about how your child develops and want them to have a healthy state of mind, do not send them to st james.

Posted September 7, 2013

Ilove the school but wish some teachers got Master's degree.please how can you be a teacher these days without one. Too much discipline. Too many old teachers "who" should retire.

Posted August 29, 2013

Both of my children go to this school. I am very happy with it. They show they care for each and every student. The teachers are great and the principal listens to everyone.

Posted January 24, 2013

This school has taught my children unity and love and caring attitudes towards the children . I am very happy with this school and so are my children.

Posted March 5, 2010

St. James is the best place my son could ever be...we feel it is an extension of our family. Great, loving people who care about the children's academic, physical, and spiritual growth!!!

Posted February 24, 2010

I cannot say enough about St. James School! My children are in a safe, loving environment where they are learning at a pace beyond my expectations. The individual attention provided by the teachers and staff is something that we did not experience in the public schools, and we could not be happier at St. James. The school community is truly one of gracious caring and enthusiasm. This was absolutely the right decision for our family - come take a look - you won't be sorry!

Posted October 4, 2009

Great teachers , staff .

Posted May 22, 2006

My son had an amazing academnic/social/spiritual experience at St. James. He was fully prepared to succeeed in High School. He remains close friends with most of his classmates and all of them are succeeding and excelling. Year after year, the names on the High School honor rolls are chock full of graduates. St. James is not a 'drop-off' school. Parents are required to be involved and though tuition goes up each year, there are programs in place so that parents may 'buy down' or reduce their tuition. Paying for St. James was the greatest investment and sacrifice I made for my child. The teachers, parents and students are, with few exceptions, are excellent, caring and committed. You will get what you put into this school and everyone gives 110 percent!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted February 14, 2005

St.James is such a wonderful school for a kid to go to. There are so many great teachers and students. There is a warm glow when you walk into anyone of the classes. I am a seventh grade student and I would know. The teachers are so understanding with you and help you after school. They always tell us how important we are and that we hold some of the secrets to the future Earth life. It makes us feel really loved. When I have a son or daughter, I am definetly sending them to St.James. -Julianne Hefferon
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 1, 2004

Well I am a student at St.James and I enjoy it very much. Everyone is so nice and comforting. There are plenty of afterschool activities to go to. Parents really get involved and is a good way for them to socialize. The teachers are fantastic and help you whenever you dont get something or are in trouble. They are always there. I feel so safe in it and happy to be there. Every morning when I come into school, people are greeting me and always smiling. Everyone and everything has such positive enrgy. It makes you feel good and warm inside. I am so happy to at St.James. I would never go to a different school,
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 27, 2004

Wanting to join a 'catholic' school I am disgusted by the phoniness, clicks, and so on. Will greatly be considering public school for next year. Curriculum o.k. but way too much pressure put on the parents both academically and financially. It is simply absurd.

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Bridgeport

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1 Monument Pl