No rating

St Joseph High School

Private | 9-12 | 828 students

Living in Trumbull

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $350,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted September 24, 2014

Amazing school! I am surprised by the last two reviews (appear to be from the same person). My child is NOT Caucasian, and is completely comfortable and happy at SJS. The academics are superior, and it is truly a family environment.

Posted August 8, 2014

I am an incoming freshman. I planned on going to St.Joe's, but then I changed my mind. I'm glad I did, because I shadowed at St.Joe's and wasn't particularly pleased with it. I would've given St.Joe's 1 star, but it's a beautiful school. The school was ok during freshman orientations. They made you feel welcome, except I could already tell that it was going to be clique-y. At one of the orientations, you got to pick your seats. I was glad I already knew people, but others were less fortunate. The school claims they're a family but I feel like many people do not know each other. People at this school only associate with who they choose, and most of them do not give less popular people a chance. Lastly, this school is not diverse at all. I'm sorry to say that you will feel uncomfortable unless you're Caucasian.

Posted June 13, 2014

I went to this school for my freshman year, and it was the worst year of my life. This school is always boasting about how great it's community is, but they fail to mention that you'll only find friends if you're rich, white, and play sports. Sure, the academics are good, but they failed to make up for the complete alienation I felt the entire time I was there. Needless to say, I have transferred to my town's public school, and I am much happier here.

Posted June 19, 2013

St. Joseph High School is an excellent school. My son graduated from St. Joe's in 2009 well prepared for college. He was accepted to his first choice, Loyola University, Baltimore, MD and graduated May 2013 with philosophy honors. He has been accepted to medschool and is on his way to a career he loves. I liked the fact that they were community minded, have a great sports program, the teachers were good and the guidance department was helpful. We were happy with his experience there overall.

Posted November 25, 2012

The school is positively bad and I would not recommend it to my own worst enemy! If I cold do it over I would choose Lauralton Hall. My best friend their and had the best time ever. I should of listened to her instead of suffering here for 4 years!

Posted February 2, 2010

I had 2 both my children go to st.Joes.. It was a great environment for a young adult to succeed. The school does not allow students to be picked on or verbally or physically abused for any reason. The only concern that I had was that my children would be lacking in math and science(curriculum). That was put to rest when my son was accepted into computer engineering program at Univ. of Delaware, and we later found out that he was able to compete. In his junior year of college he was granted a contract to work for GE upon graduation. he is now working in Georgia . My daughter who excelled at St.Joes , went on to receive a Journalism scholarship at Univ. of Richmond. She is now in her 3rd year. She is now a staff writer for local area VA papers. Both children did weel by St Joes.

Posted April 22, 2009

My son is a freshman, and is loving the school. The upperclassmen made him feel welcome, and he had no problems fitting in to this 'family.' He joined cross country & track, and enjoys being part of the teams, and I feel he will be well prepared for the rigors of college when the time comes.

Posted April 1, 2009

SJHS has a wonderful caring community atmosphere. The school offers a sound college prep education for the first 3 years, with some interesting electives and advanced courses for Juniors and Seniors. The majority of students are very involved in either sports, extra-curricular activities or community service programs. However, the school offers very little in the way of any art or music classes. The technology at the school has improved greatly in the last few years, but still needs improvement. The facilities have also improved, but the building itself could be cleaner. Overall, the Administration is very caring and concerned, however, some of the teachers are very set in their ways and not very forward thinking or innovative.

Posted March 24, 2009

I wrote a review several years ago when my son was a Junior. St. Joe's High School truly prepared my son for the challenges of College. He is currently a sophmore having obtained Dean's List at Boston College every semester so far. He will be spending his junior year abroad. Catholic Education, which was a disaster for me in the 70's, is so far superior today than any public school option available to us. I am a parent who was hurt by Catholic Schools and said never for my kids -- today I can't praise the Catholic Schools enough. They are doing an amazing job! People are a school's greatest resource. St. Joe's is a rich place.

Posted December 5, 2007

My daughters really seem to enjoy St. Joes. The community atmosphere is great and most of the teachers that I have met are personable and competent. Wish there wer some more opportunities in the arts/music area though. The drama club is excellent and the sports and extracurricular activities are also good.

Posted January 22, 2006

SJHS is a great school. I graduated form there in the 80's and i am about to send my daughter there now. The teachers are so caring and want to be involved with the students. The faculty works hard to keep the school well rounded, and it is. Almost 100 % of the students are involved in some form of activity, there is a lot of unity there. There are soooo many choices of sports and clubs, wonderful music and drama programs, and the curriculum is good too.

Posted August 3, 2005

They provide a quality program. The teachers are very involved with the students, The work is fair and not overwhelming. The principal always listens and addresses concerns. Some teachers are excellent and others need to discipline more and have more training in their subject area. There are many opportunities to get involved in music, art and sports (if you are good). There are also many clubs. Most parents get involved in areas that their children are involved in. The parents are very friendly and the whole school is a wonderful environment to be a part of. My student is having a wonderful experience.

Posted August 24, 2004

I'm actually a student at SJHS, and I love it. The teachers are good, especially the History, English and Science departments, and the administration, if a bit out-of-touch with us, is nice as well. If one is in Honors courses, the courseload is intense but fun. Even for CP kids, homework can last up to five hours a night. Extracurriculars abound and the literary magazine and yearbook in particular are well-written. However, the student body is very clique-y, and the minority presence is nearly non-existant. SJ does not always make the best decisions, such as buying defibrillators instead of getting a real track (we have gravel) or buying new books. All in all though, SJHS is a great school to be at, where you will meet tons of cool kids and inspiring teachers.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have had three sons graduate from St. Joe's and the colleges that they were accepted into were very impressed with the class offerings and programs that were offered. My boys thrived at St. Joe's, the teachers were phenomenal, and very interested in not only academics, but the overall well being of the child.

Posted August 22, 2003

The displinary faculties take advantage of the newly appointed leader upsetting the students and essencially bringing down the school spirit. Although the dress-code regulations are not ill intended, some new dress-code regulations go beyond what is needed.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Bridgeport

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2320 Huntington Turnpike