6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

The Girl's Basketball team visited a school outside their conference for a playoff game. They were swearing on the court, faking being fouled, and most refused to hi-5 the other team at the end. One girl then went to the opposing coach to complain his team didn't hi-5! Then the St Bernard team posted insults on line about the school they had just defeated. This rude behavior is uncalled for from any high school team, but ESPECIALLY unacceptable from a Catholic school. All that tuition paid could have been put to better use somewhere else in the community.

Saint Bernard has done a great job of preparing my three children for college. The two older children received multiple scholarships for college. Both graduated from college last year and found great jobs upon graduation. My youngest is a senior at Saint Bernard and is very involved in every facet of the school. The math dept has been revamped and now offers college level math thru differential equations.

Why choose St. Bernard? To put it simply - St. Bernard educates the whole of the person - mind, body and soul. Small class sizes. Rigorous academic standards at every level (core, honors and AP). Caring, knowledgeable teachers. A warm, welcoming, family atmosphere rooted in core values. Updated technology. The newly-formed partnership with Marist College that affords both students and teachers opportunities to grow and learn. Standardized test scores (SAT, ACT, and AP exams) that are consistently better than the Connecticut and National averages. An unmatched record of college acceptances and scholarships given to graduates (the 56 member class of 2014 earned over $4 million in scholarship money). But most important of all is that my daughter is happy and thriving as a student, an athlete, an artist and a young adult.

My kids attended a good public school in CT, but after starting at St. Bernard they noticed that the academics are more rigorous. They have quizes and frequent test that provide them with good feedback on their learning. They can take advanced classes if they want and are able to learn at a faster pace. They have books yet they can use computers too. This year they have updated their technology department and they are starting computer lessons as a separate subject. They foster a friendly atmosphere and discourage bullying. And most importantly they do listen to the parents and address their requests appropriately. It is an excellent program for kids that are not challenged enough in the public system.

I am a parent of two children currently at St. Bernard's High School. It has without a doubt been preparing them extreme;y well academically for the competitive environment of college. I could not be more pleased with what this school has to offer and how it continually preforms. St. Bernard's consistently has had not only high graduation rates rates (97%), but extraordinary scholarship dollars offered to their graduates from various universities. That amount can be staggering. Over $5,000,000 for the senior class in 2012 which is astounding for its size. Well worth the amount of tuition we pay. We look at it as a very good investment in our children's future which will surely be paid back many fold.

SBS is by far the worst school in the area. It has teachers there that are not even trained educators or certified and don't even care since they walk out the door often times within minutes of the students. The teachers are inferior in the academic standards required for excellence. Having been a student there that attended for 7 years through the horrible Academy (6-8) and then High School I can speak from direct experience. Poor course selections that limited my academic experience overall. I made High Honors at SBS and sometimes just honors (twice) but I dropped out of college since I feel that I was constantly not prepared for the challenge of college level courses. I was always disappointed my first year of college and would constantly tell my parents that I wasn't prepared for college and St. Bernard did not properly prepare me both socially, academically. I attended St. Bernard with kids that were "kicked out" of other schools or struggled in other area high schools and their parents or grandparents decided to send them to St. Bernard since they take anyone with drug issues or other. 52 kids in a class is not a great experience for anyone preparing for a college.

I am a graduate of Saint Bernard. Unlike other reviewers, I contend that the academics at Saint Bernard were at best subpar, and at worst simply terrible. The lack of advanced classes is very worrisome - the school when I attended lacked many AP classes, including (some highlights, many more than the following list): AP Physics, AP Computer Science, AP Calculus BC , AP Statistics, AP Economics, and AP Music Theory. The teaching in existing classes wildly varies. There are some excellent teachers (though more and more are retiring each year), however there are at least as many, if not more, awful teachers who honestly cannot teach and leave students with inadequate knowledge. Furthermore, all classes generally teach to the bottom group of students; advanced students will, even in the most advanced classes, find themselves hopelessly bored. Honestly, I would not have been prepared for college had it not been for my own reading and preparation. At best, perhaps I could have been a mediocre student; but, one should never aim for mediocrity, especially at the cost of $10,000 a year. If you want an academically fulfilling experience, find a good private school that can provide that.

From a 2010 graduate. SBS provides unequaled academics and nurtures core values which promote lives of leadership and service to others . With small classes and committed and caring teachers, students are part of a "family" environment which encourages each of us to reach our individual potential. Not only do Saint Bernard graduates continue their educations at some of the nation's finest colleges, we leave prepared for success as students and leaders in our communities.

I graduated from SBHS in 2004. I am now a student a History Major, Business Studies Minor and in the Pre-Law Program at Providence College in RI. Truly, the caring teachers and excellent educational experience I receivced from SBHS is why I am where I am today.

Last modified Saint Bernard High School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12