No rating

Choate Rosemary Hall

Private | 9-12 | 20 students

Living in Wallingford

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $214,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,160.

Posted February 14, 2014

My daughter is in her first year and thriving in this challenging but very supportive environment. She would have never received the degree of individual attention and concerned support from teachers/administrators in her previous (public) school. The selection of courses rivals a good college, particularly in the French Department. Going to Choate has been a great experience for my daughter and as a parent I feel grateful she has this opportunity. She has also made a wonderful group of friends.

Posted March 5, 2013

I have two Sons who currently attend Choate. It has been a great experience. My Boys are eager to return to school from break (they are boarding). The campus is quite diverse, my oldest son's best friend is from Kenya. The workload is demanding and most kids do not earn A's. The mathematics program is especially rigorous. If you have a child that is not challenged at his current school I would consider Choate. If your child is self-motivated and very mature he/she will love the Choate environment. If this is not the case, don't inflict the stress and work that applying to a school like this inflicts on a kid. There are many other better choices for kids who are "late bloomers" or need to do remedial work.

Posted June 1, 2010

I attended CRH for all four years of my high school career. I can honestly say the people I met there, the teachers I had, the classes I took, and the sports I played while at CRH have made all the difference in my life. Following CRH, I attended college at a top 25 liberal arts college and was amazed at how prepared I was thanks to the study habits, critical thinking ability, and independence I experienced at CRH. I would recommend this school to anyone who can get in or afford it.

Posted May 2, 2010

I just want to put this out there; I read all the reviews about the school and several complaints were that the work was hard, and parents lost contact with their kids. I feel like I should remind everyone that Choate is a prep school; of course the work will be hard. And to the parents: how often you keep contact with your child depends entirely on your individual relationship, not the amount of work. Choate is what you make of it, and most kids love it here.

Posted March 24, 2010

The reason I am giving Choate 1 star is for several reasons. We had three children go to this school, and one who did not. All could have gone anywhere, based on test scores and grades. Our kids who did go here look back with mixed feelings. They did get an ok education, although AP courses were, for the most part, reserved for the small minority of students who were'super students' in Math and Science. Our other child had AP courses in every discipline available, which were excellent. The teachers at Choate, if not tenured, appear very burned out. They have to coach, supervise students, and never get a break. Choate drains parents and students alike. It's full of cliques and rich spoiled kids spending their parent's money. Bottom line, if your student gets into Choate, thiink again. It may not be worth it in the end.

Posted November 30, 2009

It is pretty good, even though the majority of students are white- its not diverse enough, yet it has an amazing arts program, and academic

Posted July 1, 2009

The past year I've spent at Choate has been one of, if not the best of my life! Everyone and everything here is absolutely amazing! There are people all around me who support and love me! I have great times with my friends and even my teachers! When I talk to friends from my previous school they're shocked when they hear that I actually have relationships with my teachers! Learning at Choate extends far beyond the classroom and you get out of it so much more than you could ever imagine! At the beginning you may feel extremely intimidated, but in a very short time, you'll fell right at home! I am truly lucky to be at a place as wonderful as Choate!

Posted June 9, 2009

Choate is what it is: a rigorous prep school. There's little time for remediation. The math department is especially brutal; material is presented very rapidly; and their world view is a bit Darwinian. There is a heavy emphasis on testing -- classroom tests, proficiency tests (omg -- just like MCAS or Regents, I guess), and AP testing. Time would be better spent nurturing critical thinking skills. Oh well.

Posted January 16, 2009

Both of my children are alumni. This is a terrific school. The quality of instruction is excellent. The quality of students is outstanding! I can't say enough about how attendance at this school has benefitted them!

Posted October 2, 2008

The number of courses available is staggering. This school will find and promote your talents whilst challenging you all the way.

Posted August 28, 2008

There are ups and downs with Choate. Bright students make average grades, genius students make good grades. Bottom line is that everyone who doesn't get expelled for cheating, drugs or alcohol goes to colleges, usually very good ones. It is not for the faint of heart, both parent and student. There is sometimes average teaching, so students have to seek out help, and if it is in the Math deparatment, good luck. Teachers here appear burned out at times, since they coach as well and are dorm supervisors. Choate has rich kids, average kids, regular kids, druggies, theater geeks, jocks, and there are resources for everyone. It lacks a personal contact with students, so if your child needs a supportive environment, they will get lost here. Choate has a great reputation, but the bottom line here is that only the top GPA's, recruited athletes and legacy are going to Harvard. Sorry!

Posted August 20, 2008

Choate. There is no substitute. Choate. Ignore all reviews of this school, including this one!!! Go to the school and experience it yourself. It has no equal on this planet! Choate. In the springtime of her life my daughter enjoyed this school. When her days are nearly done and the winter of her life has arrived, her last thoughts may still be of her days at Choate. She simply loved it in all respects. Choate. Often imitated, but never equalled. Choate. For those who want a truly supreme academic experience. Choate. For those who want to participate in and experience a truly world class theatre and arts program. Choate. For those who want a faculty and staff that are always available to students and parents. Choate. It has spoiled rich kids and struggling poor ones. It has as full a social life as I would have wanted my daughter to have anywhere.

Posted July 23, 2007

If your child is strong academically, well organized, and independent (or capable of becoming that), Choate is a terrific school. My son has had some spectacular teachers --in the classroom and outside of it--and very few teachers who were not first rate. The administration is accessible -by phone and email, as well as in person. Parent communication is what you make of it. If your child wouldn't speak with you @ home, don't expect to hear much when they are at Choate. But, being at a boarding school like Choate can be the event that provides the basis for improved communication. Our child would go to Choate again in a heartbeat and we would happily send him.

Posted July 9, 2007

I am currently a boarding student at Choate and it is fair to say that the time I have spent at Choate has been the most useful and fun experience I have ever had. The school work is challenging but I have found that whenever I feel I need extra help teachers are more than available. My teachers care that I learn the material and want me to become the best person I can be. Its true that Choate isn't for everybody, its a lot of time management and hard work, but that's not to say we don't have fun. My friends and I look forward to the weekends when we can unwind and prepare for the week ahead, and there are plenty of activities on campus that aren't academically related. I see my parents regularly and when it comes to communication, its about the effort made on both sides.

Posted January 24, 2005

I have read the other reviews and would first like to say that choate is a fabulous school. Teachers here actually care about my life outside of their classes--not just my grades. It is true that homework gets tough and overwhelming at times, but students who manage their time well will only hit small speed bumps. As for drugs at choate, i can honestly say that i have never encountered them during my whole time here. Do not be confused by choate's not-so-great history by thinking that everyone here is a rich druggie. Many kids here are on scholarship and are genuinely interested in learning. Bottom line: don't just take my advice, go visit choate! you will be amazed at how kind everyone is and what an amazing chance you will be giving your child with this education.

Posted July 26, 2004

I couldn't have asked for a better school for my daughter. The teachers and advisers are always available and open, and my daughter has formed close, lasting relationships with the faculty both in and outside of the classroom. The wide range of activities and facilities have encouraged her to try new sports while pushing her to produce her best. The students, whenever I visit on campus, are polite and friendly, never hesitating to give directions or to offer to walk a visitor to an unfamiliar building. College admissions ARE a focus, so teachers are demanding and have high grading standards, but they are never impersonal, and they never fail to offer extra help. Despite its image as an elite private school, I have found Choate to be a friendly community, and I cannot wait for my son to matriculate there in a few years' time.

Posted July 26, 2004

I still wonder how I was lucky enough to get the chance to experience Choate. There, I formed lifelong friendships, among both the students and faculty, developed new interests, and spent the most idyllic years of my life. I still miss the homecooked dinners our debate coach would hold for the team, the past-midnight conversations with dormmates and advisers, and the constant opportunities to try something new. I miss being able to talk to and laugh with my teachers outside the classroom. I miss being surrounded by intelligent classmates who were also talented writers, amazing singers and gifted athletes, and by teachers who pushed me to excel to the best of my ability. Perhaps Choate's greatest gift is the intense bonds I have formed there with the students while growing up and living with 800 other kids. Choate is incredible. I only wish I could do it all over again.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 21, 2004

As a former student, I can honestly say that my four years at Choate comprised the most valuable and enjoyable academic experience of my life. The work was challenging -- but that befits one of the finest secondary schools in the world. The social atmosphere is far better than some might think. Choate's college admissions record is unsurpassed.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 15, 2003

When I sent my son to Chaote I didn't realize what we were getting into. I had no communication with him after he entered the school. Why you ask? Because he was to busy working to have any social life. Yes he maintained average grades but at the price of giving up his life. I saw him rarely because of his extreme amount of homework. It was not the place for him. It is a very good school but you must understand before sending your child there that they work so hard to maintain average grades and it is especially hard having them board there. I recommend you look deeply into this school before making any decisions!

Posted September 9, 2003

Choate is an excellent Prep school. It prepares students for a serious college environment. There is enough structure and freedom in the cirriculum and extra-cirricular activities to stimulate any student. Opportunities abound here that even the most advanced public schools lack. However, there is a price for this opportunity. The most costly bill paid is on the emotions of the student. Choate is not for the faint of heart or anxiey prone child. Stress levels are often taxed here by the workload, athletic competitiveness and socio-economic microsections of the community.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 24% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab