9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter is in her first year and thriving in this challenging but very supportive environment. She would have never received the degree of individual attention and concerned support from teachers/administrators in her previous (public) school. The selection of courses rivals a good college, particularly in the French Department. Going to Choate has been a great experience for my daughter and as a parent I feel grateful she has this opportunity. She has also made a wonderful group of friends.

I have two Sons who currently attend Choate. It has been a great experience. My Boys are eager to return to school from break (they are boarding). The campus is quite diverse, my oldest son's best friend is from Kenya. The workload is demanding and most kids do not earn A's. The mathematics program is especially rigorous. If you have a child that is not challenged at his current school I would consider Choate. If your child is self-motivated and very mature he/she will love the Choate environment. If this is not the case, don't inflict the stress and work that applying to a school like this inflicts on a kid. There are many other better choices for kids who are "late bloomers" or need to do remedial work.

I attended CRH for all four years of my high school career. I can honestly say the people I met there, the teachers I had, the classes I took, and the sports I played while at CRH have made all the difference in my life. Following CRH, I attended college at a top 25 liberal arts college and was amazed at how prepared I was thanks to the study habits, critical thinking ability, and independence I experienced at CRH. I would recommend this school to anyone who can get in or afford it.

I just want to put this out there; I read all the reviews about the school and several complaints were that the work was hard, and parents lost contact with their kids. I feel like I should remind everyone that Choate is a prep school; of course the work will be hard. And to the parents: how often you keep contact with your child depends entirely on your individual relationship, not the amount of work. Choate is what you make of it, and most kids love it here.

The reason I am giving Choate 1 star is for several reasons. We had three children go to this school, and one who did not. All could have gone anywhere, based on test scores and grades. Our kids who did go here look back with mixed feelings. They did get an ok education, although AP courses were, for the most part, reserved for the small minority of students who were'super students' in Math and Science. Our other child had AP courses in every discipline available, which were excellent. The teachers at Choate, if not tenured, appear very burned out. They have to coach, supervise students, and never get a break. Choate drains parents and students alike. It's full of cliques and rich spoiled kids spending their parent's money. Bottom line, if your student gets into Choate, thiink again. It may not be worth it in the end.

It is pretty good, even though the majority of students are white- its not diverse enough, yet it has an amazing arts program, and academic

The past year I've spent at Choate has been one of, if not the best of my life! Everyone and everything here is absolutely amazing! There are people all around me who support and love me! I have great times with my friends and even my teachers! When I talk to friends from my previous school they're shocked when they hear that I actually have relationships with my teachers! Learning at Choate extends far beyond the classroom and you get out of it so much more than you could ever imagine! At the beginning you may feel extremely intimidated, but in a very short time, you'll fell right at home! I am truly lucky to be at a place as wonderful as Choate!

Choate is what it is: a rigorous prep school. There's little time for remediation. The math department is especially brutal; material is presented very rapidly; and their world view is a bit Darwinian. There is a heavy emphasis on testing -- classroom tests, proficiency tests (omg -- just like MCAS or Regents, I guess), and AP testing. Time would be better spent nurturing critical thinking skills. Oh well.

Both of my children are alumni. This is a terrific school. The quality of instruction is excellent. The quality of students is outstanding! I can't say enough about how attendance at this school has benefitted them!

The number of courses available is staggering. This school will find and promote your talents whilst challenging you all the way.

Last modified Choate Rosemary Hall is a Private school that serves grades 9-12