Lyman Hall High School

Public | 9-12 | 1144 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 11, 2013

As a senior, I'd have to say the school's alright. It was better years ago and honestly it's just gotten worse over time. There are some really great teachers who have made a huge impact on my life but then there are the majority, who did not better my education whatsoever. Most complain about the "higher ups" constantly and don't being their 100% effort. It's hard to learn when you know your teacher doesn't even want to be there... It's pretty sad actually. I don't regret the friends I've made, but I wish I got a better education. Even taking AP classes and honors all these years, I still feel like they did not prepare me for life or college. Everyone I've talked to about this feels the same way too. As a student who's gone through this himself, I suggest looking into sending your child to a different school. It might seem great at first, but once the months go on you'll realize your student will learn more elsewhere...

Posted November 10, 2013

The school isn't accepting of Hispanics or blacks. Daughter was miserable so I took her out and put her in platt.

Posted August 20, 2012

I am about to be a sophomore in LHHS, and so far it's pretty ok. I didn't really like how last year went not because of the classes, but because of the students there. I am pretty shy and bad at making friends, and some of the students there are really mean and foolish while others can be really friendly. I've made a few friends and acquaintances, and I hope to make more. I do alright academically. I did a bit better than I did while I was in middle school, and I really liked the teachers I had last year. One thing that I am happy about is that the school has a Latin course that I'm taking right now and I feel proud of myself for it. I had to give this 3 stars because of the mean students and my isolation and the ok classes the school has.

Posted July 29, 2011

I went to this School for my freshman year. And I loved it! I wish I could go back, but we moved:( It's a very diverse group of people at this school, very open and friendly. Students receive a lot of freedom, (which can be a good or bad thing depending on the student) Overall I liked almost all of my teachers, except one. Overall, it's a very unusual high school, on Halloween EVERYONE dressed up and The Vo-ag department had a 'vo-ag' week, there were animals everywhere! which made school a lot more interesting. lol My only complaint is that receiving help for special needs students is a bit of a process and takes way too long (If you weren't using services at your last school). But, when I was finally recorded as needing Special Ed services, I found it to be very helpful. My assisted study hall teacher was very friendly and non-judgmental.

Posted April 2, 2011

As a former student who graduated from Lyman Hall last year and must say it is a very good place to receive a high school education. Of course some of the teachers weren't necessarily the best or brought their best effort everyday but nearly 95% of the faculty and staff at Lyman Hall are very knowledgeable and enjoy working with students for them to achieve their academic and personal best. Thanks to LH I am now at a great University, where I am doing very well and I am very happy none of that would have been possible with out LH, so I will always be thankful for what LH taught in the classroom and about Life through a multitude of extracurricular activities... I would recommend this school!

Posted February 16, 2010

I am a Freshman at LHHS and I am in the Vo-Ag program. I love it! It is a terrific school and now we have a new Vo-Ag building to use, it is simply wonderful! :)

Posted February 2, 2010

The school has an excellent History, English,and language department. The elective courses are amazing but the science department is beyond horrible and the math department is lacking. Discipline is also lacking mostly because the teachers don't report trouble makers in the class. To avoid a distracting class honors and A.P classes are the way to go. The higher level classes are filled with the kids who want to learn and are likely to motivate those round them to learn. Lyman Hall is the kind of school that doesn't build you future for you. The student is given the tools and he or she must find out for themselves how to use them.

Posted December 15, 2008

i go to lyman hall, the teachers are very talented at what they do but the school could use a fix

Posted May 19, 2008

My daughter is a Junior at Lyman Hall and loves it. She is on the High Honor Roll year after year and had the privilege of being selected to attend a five week summer program at Choate on a scholarship. If I have any issue's with a teacher, I email or call and get a response right away. They same is with the guidance councilors. They have put much money into the school by adding a whole new wing and I hear in the up coming year, will be doing more. When I went to the VoAg Fair, I was very impressed to see the involvement of all the students. My daughter was out of District and had to apply for it. She was so happy with it, she convinced her sister to apply, and she will be starting next year.

Posted January 8, 2007

My daughter is a senior at LHHS in the Vo-Ag program. Vo-Ag has given her countless opportunities to prepare herself well for college. She went to LHHS with a learning disability and is now making high honors. I have to give her credit for being conscientious enough to follow through on her work, but I can't discount the involvement of the staff who have aided her efforts to compensate for her problems and even rise above them! I can't say enough good things about LHHS, from the caring staff to the extra-cirricular activities that have been available for fun and learning. I just want to be sure that LHHS gets a fair shake. Let's face it - many kids are only at school because they have to go. It's too bad that some kids don't even end up learning that you don't deserve to get back more than you put in!

Posted July 25, 2006

Guidance is unhelpful and the extracurriculars were not good. There was barely any parental involvement and the safety and discipline was obviosly out of control. I wouldnt recommend this school to anybody. I am sorry I sent my child there.

Posted July 21, 2006

I graduated this year from Lyman Hall. I came to LHHS in the beginning of my junior year. This was the biggest mistake of my life. The teachers are cocky and assume that since the 'discussed' a subject that you should have an in-depth knowledge of the matter. They hardly ever are available to stay after and tutor and they bully just as bad as the students. The students only care about standing around gossiping. The only positvie thing i have to say about this school is the food service program. Without it, I would have transfered out as soon as I could. And I truly believe I gave this school a chance. I was active in many activities but was still unhappy.

Posted May 18, 2006

I am currently a junior at LHHS and I'd liek to say its a wonderful school. People are fueled more by disgust than happiness; therefore, it is only reasonable to have more negative reviews than positive. Just because a few kids have have bad experiences (probably due to their own issues) does NOT make the school bad. I certaintly don't enjoy waking up early and trudging into school, but in all honesty, Lyman Hall is not a bad place to be. Of course there is going to be some sub-par teachers, but for the most part, the school is overflowing with both excelling programs and intelligent, dedicated teachers. The cosmetics and glory of Lyman Hall are anything but desirable, but the purpose of school is to educate, and one will receive a fine education with a welcoming student body and professional staff at Lyman Hall.

Posted March 20, 2006

I loved Lyman Hall. Maybe if you guys had stuck it out for a few more years instead of throwing in the towel, you would of seen what a great school it is. I have graduated from there, and am currently a freshman at a great college. I felt prepared coming out of their. Their AP program is great, and the English department is amazing. They taught me how to write! There is no drug problem that I could see, and the school has so much spirit. It definitely cares about academics!

Posted February 27, 2006

I graduated from Lyman Hall 2 years ago, and as a person who enrolled in the school for all four years, i can honestly say that it is a good school. On the contrary to what most have said, the vo-ag program is incredibly in-depth, and in fact, you learn more there than in any other class. All the teachers are there for many hours after school and are always available for extra help. The administrators are also very helpful. For thoes of you who complain about the incompetancy of a school or program should really attend for more than 1/2 a semester before writing a poor review.

Posted December 15, 2005

Lyman Hall is a horrible school. My daughter went there for freshman year and begged to be transferred over the Winter Break. I told her to 'stick it out' because she might learn to like it. This was a big mistake. She came home miserable from school because she was so unhappy. The school overall was a big diappointment, especially the VoAg program. There is nothing that she learned in the VoAg program that she couldnt learn by reading a book. The teachers were never willing to stay after and help her and the guidance councelors were unhelpful. The students have no respect for the teachers and the principal and assistant principals never take things seriously. Lyman Hall had countless bomb scares last year and my daughter was scared to go to school. If you care about the well being of your child, Lyman Hall is not the place for them.

Posted December 10, 2005

I am currently a Sophmore, but not at Lyman Hall. I transferred after Freshman year. Lyman Hall was very disappointing. The VoAg program was very disappointing as well as the clubs/extracurriculars. The classes were all very weak at best. The students have absolutely no priveleges. I believe that when a school gives their students priveleges the students are much happier, making grades and the school overall improve. The school needs to be a little more careful with the budget also. Last year they had a budget cut 2 months after school started. Lyman Hall has a serious drug problem and I didnt want to become caught up in that so I left. Lyman Hall Has horrible teachers that spend no extra time with the students if they have a problem. I would highly recommend a different school if you want the best school for you or your child.

Posted March 6, 2005

I am currently a freshman at Lyman Hall and I must say that I am extremely disappointed with the school. The Science, Math, VoAg, & English Depts. are all very weak at best. The school has a strong Social Studies dept. as well as the World Language Dept. The Principal, Asst. Principal, and The Guidance Dept. are very disappointing. They have a good music dept. and good sports teams but I feel that academics are the most important part of school and any parent that wants their child to have the best education possible I would highly reccommend a different high school.

Posted September 9, 2003

I have 3 teens at Lyman Hall. I would like to see the town of Wallingford offer more options for children with social issues. Not every child can fit into the public school system and be successful. I do think that the teachers and administrators do what they can to improve the system but we need something better for the children who are not able to cope with the larger school environment. I don't mean that we should just ship them out of town. For too long, Wallingford's answer to children with special needs is to ship them automatically to out-of-town schools or facilities. This was a good idea and came from the best intentions, I'm sure. In the long run, I believe this has almost backfired with these children. Yes, some may need to be in an out-of-town facility, but wouldn't it be cheaper to have a place for these children, right in Wallingford? Some children and even some adults cannot handle a bigger school environment. Some need a smaller class setting with few distractions. If we truly want all of the children to be successful then we must consider this option. After all, it would be cheaper to provide this environment now to give these children a fighting chance in the workplace, than to give them half a chance and hope they do okay. Any child that is given the best possible environment to learn in will be a much more productive adult.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2012.

248 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2012.

249 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2012.

251 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 63% in 2012.

254 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 4 or 5

In 2011-2012 Connecticut used the Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) to test students' skills in reading, writing, science and math in grade 10. The CAPT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.
Beginning in the 2009-2010 school year, the Connecticut Department of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the CAPT test. The new standards for proficiency are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Students with disabilities26%
Students without disabilities78%
Proficient in English73%
Scale: % level 4 or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Asian 3% 4%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/A34%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

70 Pond Hill Rd