Washington, CT
Before care: Yes

Posted November 20, 2014
Fantastic school. I graduated recently and I'm so glad that with siblings still there, my ties with the school have not been completely severed. The teachers really care about the kids and there is mutual respect between the two parties. Calling teachers by their first names makes the relationship between teacher and student more personal. I went to a public school for two years and you really didn't know your teacher. It may not be for everyone but I encourage you to keep an open mind and give this school a shot, for most kids it really is an amazing experience.

Washington Montessori School 1

Posted April 08, 2014
They are greatly understaffed and not qualified to deal with anything that veers away from the Montessori "method." They rent the library to homeschool kids during the day to make money. They tend to play favorites with families that make large donations. We pulled our children after 1 year.

Posted June 25, 2013
The most meaningful education I've ever seen in action. Students of all ages are taught to be responsible, independent, and respectful. And how to think deeply and problem solve and create. Brilliantly well done and rigorous. Many secondary school teachers and administrators say they love WMS alums.

Washington Montessori School 4

Posted June 15, 2012
Great education, some good teachers, but they need to make a point of addressing issues. If a child is having a problem with a teacher or another classmate, do not just sweep it under the rug. Over all, it's a good school.

Washington Montessori School 1

Posted January 23, 2012
As the parent of two current students, I feel compelled to provide a balancing review to those already included. The school's strengths are a committed group of parents who are active and involved making the community a vibrant one, teachers who generally are dedicated and have the children's best interests at heart and the Montessori orientation of the education. Unfortunately, those strengths are offset by an entrenched administration whose primary motivation in making decisions, either academic or otherwise, appears to be placating large donors. Rather sad considering the small size of the school. The school would benefit tremendously if the current head of school would retire and be replaced with fresh blood more committed to the child-centric model of education that it espouses so publicly. The school could become the rarified place described in other reviews, but it is not at present.

Posted January 20, 2008
Washington Montessori School [WMS] has been our children's educational guiding light since they were pre-2 years old, and we hope will continue to be so through 8th grade graduation. Thanks to the WMS influence, our kids understand respect for everyone and exercise their independence in a constructive manner. They're developing their whole brains (not just the left side, as we were forced to do as children stuck behind desks). We have met a number of wonderful WMS graduates (as adults) and they all reflect fondly on their WMS education as the foundation that helped launch their lives as productive, compassionate, and yes, intelligent individuals. I just know I am doing my children the biggest favor of their lives by enrolling them in Washington Montessori School.

Posted April 22, 2007
WMS is a very special school and a wonderful community in which the children are valued as individuals. The academics are superb. Though the Montessori method isn't for children who need someone standing over them to be sure they do their work. Wonderful music programs. Tremendous parent involvement. Brand new building.

Posted August 18, 2005
WMS is a wonderful school. My only regret is that this is my final year. I have attended this school since before kindergarten and I still love it as much as I used to.

Posted February 23, 2004
Both my children have been attending WMS since they were two; I wouldn't think of sending them anywhere else. The teachers stimulate their minds, and teach them to think `out of the box'. When my oldest son was 4 they recognized that there was a learning disability, and their early intervention has given him the opportunity to bring his reading levels up to grade. I fear that if he had been in the public school they would not have intervened until he failed, which is to late.

Posted September 15, 2003
There's no where else I want my child to be. I only wish my first two could have attended.

Washington Montessori School
240 Litchfield Turnpike, Washington, CT  06777
Last modified Washington Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Washington Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top