No rating

Sacred Heart High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Waterbury

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $85,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Posted December 13, 2009

I graduated in 08', and it's not amazing, but not a bad school either.

Posted March 30, 2009

As a sophomore at SHHS, I could not love this school more than I do. The teachers are extremely kind, helpful, and in several courses, challenging. I have learned a lot from the diverse faculty and I am confident my SHHS education composed of honors classes will carry me through college successfully. The sports range from exceedingly talented to horrible -- but it is known that every student that is part of a sports team has a great time regardless of the team's record. Our boys' basketball and swim teams won state championships this year which was pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I am part of the girls' soccer and basketball teams & I am very happy with the quality of coaching and I thoroughly enjoy the players on both teams. The academics, athletics, extracurriculars & family environment make SHHS an amazing school that I would highly recommend.

Posted November 13, 2007

My son is a freshman at SHHS. He came from Wallace, which is a pretty ruff public school and has found the enviroment at SHHS to be exactly what he needed. He had done well in Wallace, attaining a couple of high school credits during 8th grade and is now a freshman in Sophmore Honors Geomotry. I have read some of the othercomments and hear that the acadmics are mediocre but I do not see it that way. My son had straight A's during his public school career and is finding several of his classes quite challenging. I guess it depends on your teacher. I would recommend Sacred Heart to anyone looking for a school that fosters a family type atmosphere that prepares their child for colloge. And no, noone in my family has ever attended Sacred Heart other than my son.

Posted May 7, 2006

Many of these reviews have some aspects of this school in which are correct. For example, I am a sacred heart student and I will be graduating this year, and when I just read the reviews I was shocked to see what people think about Sacred Heart. I have had two teachers that were horrible as teachers, but fun nevertheless. The sports programs are somewhat terrible and even some of my honors classes have been pathetically easy. But where Sacred Heart counts is the simple connectivity of all of its members. It is like any other school, you get from it what you put into it. I have put a lot of my energy into sacred heart and i have been rewarded greatly. Sure, other schools are better, but i doubt any will make me feel like a family. Dan

Posted March 24, 2006

Finally a chance to be heard! If you really want your child to learn and be successful in college then this in not the school for you. From the president to the guidence counselor I rank this school fair. My daughter loved her friends and some teachers at SHHS, but she realized in her second year that she was learning little. Her good grades were as a result of easy work and easy teachers. If it wasn't for her honesty, she would have remained at the school and learned little. She would have truly been at a disadvantage once she made it to college. There are a fee good teachers, but most have no class control and little to offer. My daughter would tell you that she had alot of fun at SHHS, if thats what you want for your child, then this is the school for you. good luck

Posted February 15, 2006

A few words to discribe SHHS--legacy, medicore education, and sports. I am a product of this education, and can say, I had a tough time matriculating to a college/university level. My science and math skills were lacking compared to others, and so were my practical skills. The school sets example to students by letting them 'slip by' solely on a last name or a sports scholarship. The teachers and parents are involved in a cliquish mentality as well. SHHS is an expensive public school--there are lots of fights and unruliness.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 23, 2005

I like it at Sacred Heart. I get along well with the teachers and most of my fellow students. I'm not a sports star at all, and my family isn't exactly well-known at the school. The teachers are a mixture of some mediocre and others who are brilliant and have really taught me alot already. I also would like to add that they offer more challenging courses than previously mentioned. There is AP US history, AP English, UConn Physics, UConn Calculus, and if it is truly desired, arrangements can be made for students to take an independent study course in kanguage or other subjects. Sacred Heart is a good choice if you like a small school where the atmosphere is equivalent to that a a large family.

Posted March 10, 2005

I Love Sacred heart...My family has had no other association with the school when i started but i was still welcomed and liked. Yes i do have to say that all the teachers know the basketball stars and sports stars, but also many of the teachers are involved with the sports and are willing to help everyone! I have taken honors corses and i myself are challenged. I am happy i choose sacred heart! GO HEARTS!

Posted February 9, 2005

I attended Sacred Heart from 1997-2001. I was an active member of the school, including honors society, football team, baseball team, etc. The fact of the matter is, Sacred Heart is little more than a public school that requires a tuition. While the quality of education was mediocre when I was there, I have family who still attend the school, and it seems as if things are falling apart quickly. There are a very limited number of AP courses offered. Now graduating after 4years of college, I realize how much of an advantage I would have had if I was able to enter my university with 3 or more college credits like many other students. I regret going to SHHS and would have much rather attended Crosby High. SH is political when it comes to parent involvement. Besides basketball, their sports programs leave much to be desired.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 22, 2004

I am the parent of a SHHS student whose father, uncles and numerous family members are SHHS alumni. I agree with the previous comments regarding the SHHS enviroment - it's a warm, welcoming and nuturing atmosphere with involved parents. We are not your 'typical' SHHS family (Catholic) but we still feel welcome. My child participates in athletics - not because his cousins are 'basketball allstars with the right last name', or because his father was a SHHS basketball 'allstar', but because he realizes that participation in sports helps to make you a more well rounded individual! Overall, I think that SHHS is a good school, the only area lacking may be in academic support services. We also need to expand our facility so that we do not have to travel to other schools to use their track or swimming pool. Overall,I think that we made the clear choice - SHHS!

Posted December 1, 2004

I am currently a senior at SHHS and I would not recommend it at all. The school is terrible. The administration is a joke, the teachers are ridiculous, and all the school does is ask for more money. The 'honors' programs are a joke- the school only offers 2 AP courses. The school really is based on your last name or if you play football or basketball. The first review on this page is absolutely correct. By the time you pay the tuition and all the other things the school asks for, you'd be better off to go to any other public school. Do yourself a favor, save yourself the money, and stay far away from Sacred Heart.

Posted November 11, 2004

I am acutally a student at SHHS in little Waterbury, CT, and I can tell you, I just love it! It's nice, small, has a good sports program, and acheviements in education. It was a clear choice for me!

Posted September 26, 2004

My child attended SHHS, and my recomendation to parents is to think carefully while considering this school. Both the good and the bad that you will read about this school is entirely true. It is a family atmosphere in that it is small and inviting but also that those who are not previously associated with SHHS might not feel as comfortable. It is also easier for these children to fall in between the cracks. My daughter enjoyed her time at the school, but recognizes that she also could have recieved a better education elsewhere. She also notes that those who are introverted have no place there. It is a nice environment to transition from catholic grammar school but not so much from a larger school. Choose wisely and good luck.

Posted August 18, 2004

Sacred Heart is a great high school. The caring attitude, small class size, and high standards have helped to have my child reach his highest potential. I would highly reccommend this school to anyonewho wants a good headstart in their life.

Posted August 16, 2004

I am writing to inform readers that whoever wrote the last comment about SHHS was obviously wrong. Sacred Heart is not a biased school at all. All types of students get into the school. What matters, unlike other public schools, is the fact that the student must be qualified enough to get into the school. SHHS is not any ordinary school that is easy to get into. Classes are the same as they would be at any other school, and you do not get into the school because you may be good at basketball. Many different types of students get into the school, and very few people have a last name starting with J. Many students are exceptionally smart in this school, and the honors programs are outstanding. Therefore, all that was previously said about SHHS is entirely false and I advise you ignore the comments stated previously.

Posted August 5, 2004

I would never reccomend this school. The teachers are mostly SHHS graduates who are not Connecticut State Certified. The quality of education and programming is greatly lacking. The school is based on what your last name is and what you can offer the school (versus what the school can offer your student). This means if your child is excellent at basketball or happens to have a last name like J----- then by all means this is the school for your child. Otherwise look elsewhere. The academics, extra-curricular, special needs, and specialty coursework is strongly inferior to the neighboring public schools. If you plan to invest in a private school in this area, check out Taft, or Westover. These are much more expensive but the quality greatly surpasses the small underqualified, rundown and sadly biased SHHS.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Hartford

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

142 South Elm Street