Posted June 08, 2014
This is not the best school but it is a working progress. At least it's not like state school we'll never mind that there will always be violence and fights and kids who don't listen so don't judge to bad.

Posted April 02, 2014
Two of my children currently attend this school one of them is in the accelerated program and the other is in the Special ED program. I have to say I am very pleased and impressed by the amount of communication and information I receive from the teachers and staff regarding my children just by simply requesting it. I am not saying all teachers are 5 stars but lets be realistic here most of the students barley give 3 star effort. in addition; some parents want to put the blame on the teachers, teachers are not miracle workers they can only work with what they have and if as a parent you are absent or not ready to hold your child accountable for his or her actions and choices while in school then that is the root of the problem that needs to be addressed first. Over all to present day I am very happy with the staff at WSMS and officer K's presence there.

West Side Middle School 1

Posted November 17, 2013
Westside middle is a horrible school. It teaches through intemidation and the teachers swear at the students and tells them if they can swear we can to. I have witnessed the cop there run up into one of the girl students and start yelling at her.

Posted August 03, 2013
I have been going to West Side or WSMS for a few years now and its a deicent school. Yes, there are fights, and they don't have the best lunch but it isn't a horrible school , like some say. Whether you like it or not there are fights and violence EVERYWHERE. Just because one school get recognised for it more than others doesnt make it a bad school at all. Each house inforces dress code, some more than others. I give WSMS 3 stars because all-in-all it's not a bad school. Some students don't have very good grammar and have a hard time listening but dont blame the school, blame whoever taught them that that was okay to be disrespectful or have an attitude to teachers. West Side has an up-to-date curriculum and if your kids are focusing , they can learn alot. I hope this helped :).

Posted April 19, 2013
Hi. I would like to say that learn are good and bad things about this school. my daughter is in the red acclerated program! LOVE IT! But there are some students and staff that ruin it! i really dont like the red house vice principal. Although, everybody else seems cheerful. I recommed red house to everyone, every other friday they have reward day for the behavior cards. Anthoner plus to the school is they have a fruit and veggie program! ONly had one problem with the school,sometimes (most of the times) it has ants in there! but i tell her just to go to a different one if she has to go! I hope that this has helped you. BTW ur child will love the new gear up program. its free and helps your child with homework and problems. You also enter to get a scloarship to collage! ;) because collage is getting worse ,you know.

Posted April 13, 2013
This school has many faults, but overall it's a decent school. First of all, the school needs to be cleaner. The hallways and floors are repulsive. Next, some of the students lack hygiene and grammar, but, there are students who have the passion to succeed. Most of the teachers are very good at communicating with the students. The school has a wonderful fruit program for students that would like a morning snack.

West Side Middle School 5

Posted February 08, 2012
I have to say the I love West Side Middle School, I recently moved here form Manchester NH and my two boys were placed at this school, they are both in the Blue house and is doing so much better with there grades--in my experience with other schools "West Side Middle School" is wonderful --my kids are getting the attention they need --my oldest is much more excited about doing better and I believe it's the attitude of the Teachers --and I have and heard all wonderful things from my kids about the Blue house principal my kids adore her.

West Side Middle School 1

Posted January 31, 2012
Very unorganized, not helpful, not informative, Curriculum is so out of date. Cannot meet the educational needs of students who are more advanced. The advanced classes are below average of the Seymour and Shelton School districts. This is not a school you want to send your children to if you can avoid it. In all honesty I am very disappointed after moving here, if I had known the schools were so bad I would have never moved to this city. But of course it is a reflection of the city which is so far behind, I feel like I am in some southern town, even Seymour has bus service longer than Waterbury for public transporation just not a place for people who want more.

Posted August 10, 2011
I am an alumna of westside middle school and despite what some of the reviews say west side does enforce rules. You cant really judge the school because one student decided to go berzerk one day. That happens in all schools its the matter whether you hear about it or not. Or blame a single house in wsms's case. Some say " oh this and this house is bad blah blah blah" all houses have their faults. And for one specific review from a parent, dont just blame red house. Been there done that. I was in red house, not alot of fights and they do enforce dresscode and cellphones. In fact its because they're enforcing cellphones that they sometimes go berzerk and threaten teachers. Or like the review before me explains. And its all houses that are violent, not just red. Im not saying now, but when i attended wsms, the house that always broke dresscode and got away with it was blue house. So sure, im in te dark of whats happening now from what happened before, since my cousin was removed due to district changes, but i still believe its a great school. I miss it quite alot, i wish i had time to visit my old teachers.

Posted August 09, 2011
I am a student who recently attended wsms and the school inforces rules very well.Most of the student dont like the rules so they are defiant.But there are consequences and each principal especially red house makes sure that the students are well behave.Alot of these students go through so much at home and are bullied at school by other student that they bring their anger with them.Also when they see some teachers let its happen they get upset or one of the teachers or make rules a priority and punish them it triggers things.So what im trying to say is that every school has their problems with teachers students but Westside is alot better that Northend and Wallace.Point-Blank-Period.

West Side Middle School
483 Chase Parkway, Waterbury, CT  06708
Last modified West Side Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Side Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top