Waterbury, CT
Students enrolled: 1,321

Posted March 29, 2011
Waterbury Schools are changing, and are fighting for change. Especially this school in particular. You can see the effort the staff is doing to make their students succeed. I appreciate that in almost every way. And because of that, Wilby is becoming a greater institution of learning more than ever. I just wish the %40 of other students are willing to change too.

Posted August 26, 2009
I am a student at Wilby. I'm in the ATOMS program and a lot of my classmates think that the ATOMS students are better then the other in the school. I don't believe this. The ATOMS program is for students who have higher goals in life. A lot of my classmates want to be neurosurgeons or some other high medical prefession. I do not want to be offensive to any of the students that are not in ATOMS who think I am saying they are dumb or dumber than the ATOMS students like myself. Just because you are not in ATOMS does not mean tyou are dumber than the ATOMS students. As for the school, it does have its problems, but I feel everywhere you go, there is something wrong with the school. It is a good school based on the education possible and the style of teaching the school offers.

Posted December 15, 2008
This comment is to the student who said that the only good students are atoms students. That is entirely untrue. I and some of my friends do our work & get what we need to get done. Therefore that is an understatement. Your just profilling the students because they are in a higher clas..which isn't right.

Posted August 07, 2008
I am a student at wilby and I definetly agree with many of the points people have been making. I feel the school is the way it is because of everybody. Some parents are not involved and have children who come to school and act like they dont have any home training (which some dont) which results in the teachers not caring. I wouldnt want to stand in front of a group of kids who just blatantly disrespect me and have no desire to learn everyday. Maybe if the kids and parents would start to care a little more, the teachers would too.

Wilby High School 1

Posted April 25, 2008
my daughter goes to this school and i have to say that it is the worst school that i have ever seen in my life. the kids in this school have no common sense

Posted February 28, 2008
My daughter started her junior year at wilby high school this year and I have to tell you that it was very scary for her to enter this school BUT it has been a blessing in disguise for her. The teachers have been great with her and encourage her every step of the way. This school does need more parent involvement. I attended an open house and you could count the number of parents that attended which was terrible.Making this a great school is not only up to the teachers and staff of this school, it needs the parents support.

Wilby High School 2

Posted November 06, 2007
There is not enough discipline,or good activities. the atoms kids are the only real students.

Wilby High School 3

Posted September 15, 2007
I haven't been to this school for very long, and although I'm not quite used to it yet, I still like it much better than my old school for ONE reason: how the students here don't stress over prom, graduation and college as much as in other schools. And also, the school is smaller so it's less intimidating. Bigger high schools are way more competitive, and students really make a big deal about what college they're going to, how high their SAT scores are, or where others are going to college, when over here at Wilby, kids mind their own business about all that. Which I find to be really comforting. Because really, who cares if someone is just going to the local university instead of some Ivy League school? Who cares if someone won't be going to their senior prom? Wilby definitely doesn't.

Wilby High School 2

Posted April 28, 2007
I am a current student at wilby and i have to say that even though it is not one of the greatest schools in waterbury, it is not the worst either. There are still some good teachers out there that actually care about their students. Yes, some teachers just basically sit back and chill while their students practically govern themselves. And that's why all of the students like them. But i believe it depends on what kind of classes your in. If you are in a regular or even a college prep class, your teacher is probably chillin. But if your in honors classes like myself then you are getting a quality education. The problem is on the teachers but also on the students. They need to stop acting like their going to a fashion show or social even every day they step into the doors.

Wilby High School 3

Posted September 19, 2006
I am a 1986 graduate of Wilby High School. And a parent of a 2006 graduate. I believe the teachers and principle (most of them) do their best with these kids. It is hard without parent involvement. I have been to many open houses, and where are all the parents? For the comment left by the drop out, you would do better with a diploma, and of course college. It's a shame you don't see that yet. But you definitly will in the years to come. Wilby's one of the good ones!

568bucks Hill Rd, Waterbury, CT  06704
Last modified Wilby High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilby High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top