West Hartford, CT

Smith School 1

Posted April 30, 2015
A soul crushing experience. Can't even begin to describe the damage done to our youngest daughter--"missed" diagnosis of a math learning disability. Since she tested as a low average on standardized tests, they kept telling us there was nothing wrong. The crazy "Trailblazer" (I like to call it "Failblazer") math curriculum was uniformly despised by teachers and parents. Yet, it continued for a full 10 years until they realized that practice, repetition, and rehearsal were critical for learning math skills. Add to this an obsession--and I mean OBSESSION--around test scores, and no acknowledgement and/or enrichment for superior writing and reading skills and you get the idea. Finally, there was a "red,yellow,green" behavior/discipline approach in which a student would be asked to turn his/her color accordingly. I'd be hard pressed as an adult to do my best work if I had to turn my color from "green" to "yellow" in front of my peers. It didn't change behavior, only served to humiliate. Brother. So glad to be out of there...

Posted April 26, 2015
Excellent school. The teachers, administration and families are very involved. The STEM curriculum is strong. The science, technology, engineering and math is used daily in the classroom, through afterschool programs and in the community. Teachers go above and beyond to delivery a quality education for the students. Great place to be apart of.

Posted January 27, 2015
Great school, my pre schooler loves attending school and has a wonderful teacher. The curriculum engages the students on all levels. Very positive learning environment.

Smith School

Posted August 05, 2009
Both of my children are students at Smith school. I can't say enough about the community spirit and the teamwork put forth by the staff and parents. The teachers work tirelessly to bring the best out of our children. Mrs. Bolton has been a true guiding light and positive role model for all our Smith children. I feel very blessed to know my children are in great hands everyday when they leave for school.

Posted December 22, 2005
I have my daughter in second grade at the Smith school of science, math and technology. As the name says this school does give imporatance to all these fields. The teachers are very helpful and keep the kids challenged depending on their abilities.

Posted January 05, 2005
Two of my children went to Smith school. One was a member of the first graduating class. The principal was excellent and set the bar high for her teachers and other staff. As a result, staff competence and quality was almost uniformly excellent. Music and art were stellar as were math and science. The atmosphere in the school was welcoming and inclusive. There was always a level of excitement over on-going projects. That first group of kids who went through have graduated and, while I don't have stats on all of them, many went on to some of the finest colleges and universities in the country. The group my other child went through with is also filled with kids who excell academically. More importantly, Smith took good care of all its students. And most importantly, my childrens' lives were greatly enriched by Smith's socio-economic, racial, and cultural diversity.

Smith School
64 Saint James St, West Hartford, CT  06119
Last modified Smith School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smith School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top