Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Parent During the earlier years from year 2001 (school opening) -2011 UHMS was a great school for my child to attend. Now in the year 2016 i can truthfully say that this school has downgraded itself. Most of the staff are disrespectful, unprofessional, and they seem to be old, worn- out and too comfortable in their positions. It's as if being nice, refraining from an attitude with a child, and using a softer inside voice when dealing with the children have become taboo or lost within the UHMS " community ". If the parents ever knew how these people talk or act towards their children it would definitely be alot more problems here. Also, please take note that this school sets the bar extremely low when obtaining paraprofessionals and substitutes to work here, because by observing some of the ones that are currently here they lack professional grandeur in all its entirety. The things I've seen I swear I could easily flip out and come out of my character but I chose not to allow any of these people to raise my BP. I'll let God move these mountains! I just can't understand how education can be fostered in this type of environment. I swear I cringe every time i send my kids here which is why I'm in pursuit of a better school for them. I regret the years I've continued sending my children here. The only genuinely amazing person that's holding this unstable "community " together is the one and only VP Mr. Hurd. In the morning he's always visible out by the entrance making his wonderful presence known. All of my children look forward to seeing him everyday. And if there is a situation with any of my children he takes immediate non-bias action.

I sent my child with disabilities to this School. Because of her differences a campaign was orchestrated by the administration to put her out of the school. I have another child in the school and she is struggling in all subjects despite our efforts and has not been offered addequate help. There is no sense of community or belonging and the staff is very unprofessional and down right disrespectful. The absolute worse school I have ever experienced in my whole life. Two thumbs down!

I sent my children to UHMS from the public school in our town. The education that they are receiving is amazing! The teachers are top notch and so dedicated to their students. They are in constant email or phone contact with me when I have a question or just to give me a heads up about an upcoming event. I only wish that I had gotten my children in sooner. They just started this year and are in 4th and 2nd grade. Every child deserves the level of education that UHMS provides!!!

My daughter has started the PreK-3 program here and is learning so much. The school is beautiful with all up to date technology in the class rooms. The teaching staff are all so caring and friendly. I love it here.

My school welcomes all families to a multicultural experience. Sixty percent of our students come from Hartford, Ct. a city challenged by poverty and crime and yet a city exciting, interesting, artistic, and talented. Our school charter was created by students, and our magnet based on Howard Gardner's work with multiple intelligences reaches out to diverse interests, learning styles, and offers many tools for learning. Our staff is hard working, caring about families and children, and open to new ideas. Our staff includes working artists and musicians. Our families are beautiful and willing to leave neighborhood schools to reach for something special in a learning environment for their children. I have been part of this school since its beginning nine years ago. I wish my own children had had such an amazing place to grow and learn. I am very proud to be part of the University of Hartford Magnet School family, which includes a beautiful bridge to the University of Hartford. We are the only public elementary school on an university campus, and the President of the University routinely considers us part of the University family as well. Every year, for example, he welcomes our 60 kindergartners to tour his interesting and beautiful office! The University even has a Dean of Magnet Schools! When we ask our students 'who will go to college?' all hands shoot up. Our elementary students consider themselves a part of this bigger campus. We have wonderful student interns and student teachers as well as volunteers from the University community. We are grooming leaders and children who feel good about themselves and know that there are many ways to be smart and to learn. Our charter says 'we use our minds, bodies, voices and hearts to care for one another, treat each other with respect, solve problems without hurting each other, to be honest and trustworthy to ourselves and others, give our best efforts to every task,' and we make this promise daily. Wouldn't that be a great idea for the whole world?

My children are both thriving in this school! We love the use of Multiple Intelligences to enhance their learning!

We have had a wonderful experience here. It is a very diverse enviroment with truely dedicated teachers and staff! We have had two great years so far.

Last modified University Of Hartford Multiple Intelligences Magn is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.