No rating

Connecticut Friends School

Private | K-8 | 60 students

Living in Wilton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $768,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted June 25, 2014

My daughter was in the Wilton public school district. She was doing OK until we hit middle school when the public school discouraged my daughter to the point where she began to hate school. Being a 7th grade student we were concerned about moving her but, as her parents, we knew what would be best. She started at CFS in 8th grade and within 2 months my daughter was back to her amazing self. She began to feel confident and eager to go to school. She was making friends and the sparkle was returning to her eyes. CFS goes until 8th grade and although some may think it is a short time to make a big difference, well .it truly did make a positive impact for my daughter. She felt accepted, academically supported and at ease for the first time in her middle school career. I only wish we had 4 more years at CFS. However, that 1 year proved to be a positive experience that truly made a difference with my daughter! She is now in public high school in Wilton but a girl with values that were only learned at CFS. That one year gave her exactly what she needed.

Posted May 27, 2014

I have worked for Connecticut Friends School for a number of years now and I have found the teachers and staff to be the most caring people. In my experience, the care that is given to each student, whether the children are aware of it or not, is evident throughout. I am always amazed at the understanding that the teachers and administrators have of what each student faces when they wake up every morning. This goes for even the mysterious middle schoolers. The question throughout the school year is always how can we help this student . How can we help the student find their way; find their path; find themselves so that when they leave here they are empowered to be their very best selves and not some kid lost in the high school crowd. Growth on this level requires a sense of community and trust. Community as in it takes a village and trust that each student gets what they need. Not what everyone else gets but what each individual student needs to be a successful person.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 27, 2014

After searching for a school that offers a balanced approach to education we enrolled our 2 children at Connecticut Friends School. That was 3 years ago and we have not been disappointed. Younger students have a healthy mix of academics and playtime; we consider this far healthier than a program that leans too heavily toward test taking and assessment. Our younger child learned to read and write and do mathematics while still having daily recess sessions outdoors and free choice options indoors. The curriculum for all ages includes service work projects, theater productions, field trips and special instructors (e.g. yoga workshops or live animal presentations in the classroom). For older students the daily schedule includes not only subjects such as math, language arts, social studies and science but activities such as art, P.E. and music (...the main music sessions focus on singing and music theory but the kids also take part in special workshops on African drumming). The middle schoolers take Spanish and participate in a great Outdoor Education and Leadership program where they get off-campus every other week to go caving, rock climbing, hiking, skating etc. We recommend CFS!

Posted May 26, 2014

Our son has been enrolled at Connecticut Friends School for 4 years and we have had a very positive experience. My wife and I both agree that since starting at CFS our son has been thriving not only academically but emotionally as well. We've seen the great care the teachers have put into the curriculum, taking the kids on field trips to supplement what they are learning in school; introducing hands-on projects in science, language arts and social studies; integrating art projects with their academic studies; weaving performing arts opportunities into the curriculum; offering many, many ways to connect with nature. We have been impressed with all that our son has learned, and how his teachers have stretched him to take on challenges that he at first shied away from while simultaneously nurturing the areas our son took to naturally. We've seen our son's confidence grow but also his ability to consider the needs of his classmates and to make thoughtful decisions. Our observation is that all the students are asked to reflect on how their own behavior affects the class and school community. CFS helps children become articulate communicators and develop leadership skills.

Posted May 22, 2014

I enrolled my child at this school with the hope that it would be a nurturing environment that would help him thrive as a student. It didn't in the slightest. Not only are both of those hopes not present, but the faculty are uncaring, greedy, and unequipped, and the education is disappointing at best. If you're considering this school, don't look past the negative reviews.

Posted May 6, 2014

CFS has completely tarnished my son's enthusiasm for education. We kept giving CFS chances, but they seemed to withdraw their promises each time. Stay away.

Posted April 9, 2014

Our world needs to learn of Friends Testimonies. Gentle, enjoyable learning is offered by CT Friends School and it is a haven for its students.

Posted March 30, 2014

Our daughter is in high school now and we found that the academic preparation she received at Connecticut Friends School prepared her very well for the rigors of a highly competitive prep school. Not only did she get all the basics (spelling, vocabulary, grammar, math operations, geography, history, scientific process and writing techniques) but she has a quick mind and a voracious curiosity which her high school teachers love. When were considering where to enroll our daughter for high school, several guidance counselors and admissions officers told us what a delight it was to meet a student who expressed excitement about what she had been learning in middle school; they remarked on how at-ease our daughter was with speaking to adults and said it was a pleasure to get to know her. High school instructors tell us our daughter brings a lot to class discussions and they feel she is a positive influence on her peers, motivating those around her to work to higher standards. They're impressed with how generous our daughter is with kids who are less able than she is. We credit CFS with nurturing our daughter's mind and also her heart and therefore recommend the school highly!

Posted March 26, 2014

Advice to potential applicants: don't just go by the reviews written by current parents. Talk to some families that have left, of which there are many. My child was far behind grade level when we left here and I'm still wondering what exactly they did all day. What a difference now that we're in another school! It may be the right fit for you anyway, depending on what is important to you, but I would just highly suggest being thorough in your research and touring some of the other schools in the area as well. I certainly wish I had.

Posted March 20, 2014

My son, Luke, entered the Connecticut Friends School three years ago when he started 4th grade. We have have found the school to be exactly what we expeced: unique in its ability to combine challenging academics, manageable amounts of homework and a social curriculum that emphasizes community, mutual respect and self-reliance. Small class sizes make every teaching moment valuable. A focus on outdoor education fosters physical independence and a deep understanding and respect for our environment. While students have access to computers, video equipment and other forms of technology, there is also a low-tech approach to teaching that clearly benefits students and their families. Summer camp experiences through this school are also truly enriching.

Posted March 7, 2014

We were so delighted to discover this amazing school several years ago. Our family life had become very stressful due to nightly battles over homework. We felt as if the tail was wagging the dog because the teachers were gearing so much of the curriculum to standardized tests. Our son was angry that, after an entire day of doing school work he had no time to play or relax. This scenario repeated itself day after day, leaving our family exhausted. Once we found Connecticut Friends School our lives changed immediately for the better. We found that CFS teachers are very judicious in their assignment of homework and the curriculum is not influenced by standardized tests. What a relief! In short order our son "revived". He declared that he now loved attending school and looked forward to each day. The information and insights that he brought home were reflective of a rich curriculum--one that challenges the children to think for themselves and to be compassionate members of their community. We see that our son's skills are developing but without the anxiety and exhaustion he had previously experienced. We highly recommend CFS to families that are seeking a positive change.

Posted March 7, 2014

Our son has been a student at Connecticut Friends School for 5 years and we could not be happier with the education he is receiving. The depth of discussions that take place in the classroom and the thoughtful way the teachers present the curriculum continues to impress me. My son has become a strong writer and is progressing very well through the math curriculum but in addition he has had the benefit of a huge amount of enrichment experiences woven in as part of the core program (I love that a bright child does not have to be pulled out for the "gifted program" but at CFS ALL the students benefit from an excellent approach to education). Teachers approach the subject matter from a range of perspectives, integrating art projects, theater experiences, field trips, science experiences, service work and performing arts with standard skill building such as research projects, essay writing, reader's workshops and creative writing. We have found the school's leadership to be very open to discussion and have been satisfied every time we brought up a concern or question. My husband and I have seen some of our suggestions adopted by CFS and we enjoy the camaraderie of the other parents.

Posted March 5, 2014

The school's program could be wonderful, if only they could deliver what they promise. Disorganized and defensive, the administration gossips about parents and takes no responsibility for their failing. A recent bullying problem has arisen with older kids, and they are entirely ill-equipped to address the issue. It's so sad, because they could be offering something unique in Fairfield County. I wish they could deliver the program they describe, because it would be really special. We left after several years there, along with a large number of families, for similar reasons.

Posted February 14, 2014

Our child has been attending CT Friends School for the past four years. We have had a wonderful experience there. CFS is age appropriate, warm, and engaging. Students are taught in a way that is exciting and at a pace that is comfortable. Each student is appreciated for his/her own unique qualities and are lovingly taught how to find his/her own place within the community.

Posted January 29, 2014

This school has done wonders for my child who was bored and lost in the public school system. She was not being challenged to her level and complained every day about it. We did tons of research and found Connecticut Friends School to be the best choice after several visits for both my family and daughter. She has now been there for over 4 years and is a happy, social, kid that really loves her school. She was thrilled when they introduced live bunnies to the campus and learned all about bunny care. She now is a pro at it and wants to be a vet! This school will definitely deliver on academics, programs, kindness and values, and community!

Posted January 28, 2014

I graduated from Connecticut Friends School (CFS) in 2004. After leaving CFS I went on to high schools in Italy and Washington, DC and then to Swarthmore College, where I majored in engineering an minored in public policy, graduating in 2012. I'm now living in Boston where I work as a mechanical engineer at a robotics firm. I'm intending to return to school next fall to pursue a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering. Even though it has been awhile since I left, my time at this school (CFS) continues to help define who I am. CFS instilled in me a strong sense of duty to give back to my community through my work. CFS also helped form my personal moral compass, emphasizing the importance of open-mindedness, personal integrity and the embracement of diversity. I continue to actively seek out schools that were equally committed to these values after graduating from CFS. It is a great school!

Posted January 26, 2014

My 2 children have had fantastic experiences as students at Connecticut Friends School. The teachers are dedicated, thoughtful and willing to go the extra mile to provide the children a well rounded learning environment. The curriculum is top notch and the kids are engaged, excited to participate in projects, field trips, class discussions. Assignments stretch their thinking and the kids have many opportunities to develop leadership skills, poise, confidence. We have been part of the school community for several years and have always been pleased at the responsiveness of the administration and teachers if we had questions or suggestions. My husband and I are so grateful the school exists because our son and daughter have thrived here. Best decision we ever made.

Posted January 26, 2014

My daughter feels great about her emerging skills as a young writer, scientist and mathematician, and she loves her classes in art, music and Spanish. In addition to standard academics the school offers classes in African Drumming, Outdoor Education and Leadership and theater. We love the approach CFS takes to community building since we, as parents, feel connected to the other parents, plus the children feel included, safe, comfortable and relaxed. It was a relief for us to find Connecticut Friends School after our daughter was at public school for a few years. We saw the light re-emerge in her eyes and a bounce return to her step as she integrated into this child-friendly, healthy environment.

Posted December 5, 2013

This is our first year at CFS and we have two children in the school. Our kids are genuinely happy and thriving, socially. They have made very strong bonds with their classmates thus far and are relaxed enough to be themselves around their peers. The atmosphere in the community is welcoming and accepting of all types and kinds and this feeling carries over into the classroom. Our older child has really developed a greater sense of self, respect for others, and interest in helping and social responsibility. There are a lot of opportunities to go on field trips, do volunteer work, and community building. As a parent raising kids in a sometimes crazy world, we feel like our kids are safe, loved, and supported at CFS. The academics are strong and it takes a lot of versatility and flexibility on the part of the teachers to engage and challenge kids in a multi-age classroom setting. They do a great job. As parents, we have enjoyed the events so far, the potluck, etc. I think great strides have been made since the beginning of the school year to improve communication between the staff and the parents and we have seen noticeable changes made in this area.

Posted November 21, 2013

Connecticut Friends School is an amazing environment for children to explore, learn, and grow into maturity. The teachers are engaging and make learning fun and interesting for the kids. Your child will blossom and grow into confident students. My children have been here for 6 years and after comparing other schools both private and public this school shines like a gem.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Friends
Associations
  • FCE
Fax number
  • (203) 834-9640

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

317 New Canaan Road