Caravel Academy

Private | PK-12 | 1141 students

Living in Bear

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $234,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,300.

Sweep tile

Posted June 10, 2013

My daughter has gone to Caravel for the past 4 years and has been thriving ever since. She started out in K at a local private school that I graduated from that costs 3x as much and didn't even focus on reading skills at that age. She's since become an outstanding student and was even recently selected into a gifted student program at John's Hopkins based on her outstanding English test scores for her age group. I would highly recommend Caravel as one of the top schools in the area and a great value at that.

Posted March 25, 2013

We sent our son to Caravel Academy to get away from Elkton HS where he was getting bad grades. We felt like he was in a bad environment that was detrimental to learning. Within three months of going to Caravel we noticed a big change in him. The teachers really care. He was reading many books for all the different subjects.He played baseball there for coach Nick who had a great influence on his life .His grades dramatically improved mostly As.He got a large scholorship to Towson University where he recently gradulated with an accounting degree and landed a nice job with a prestigious firm.This was all a result of his attending this great school.

Posted March 4, 2013

I've had 2 children attend Caravel for the last 5 years and I honestly can say that this school is one of the top schools in the country. The faculty love their students and the activities/athletics are top notch. My kids have grown so much in the last 5 years; looking back I am soooo glad I decided on Caravel. Finally, the tution is also the cheapest in the area which is probably why each grade has a waiting list.

Posted October 28, 2012

This is our first year at Caravel. My son is in 6th grade and although it was a rough go in the first month, he is flourishing and using his talents as he continues to grow. 1 B and the rest A's is incredible and goes to show us that he does belong at this level. Not only did we choose Caravel because of the Academics, but the Athletic program is top notch. After coaching a few boys that went to Caravel, it was very clear that I wanted my son to be a part of this program.

Posted August 30, 2012

I am quite surprised by some of the reviews here. My son has attended Caravel since 7th grade after trying the horrible public schools here in DE where he wasn't challenged and there was a total lack of safety. You do not have that at Caravel. All students get along and they do not tolerate any bullying or any nonsense. I am amused by some of the statements saying what great educational programs the public schools offer. Which schools are those because my friends who have children the public schools are not seeing it and I never saw it while he was there!! Your only hope is a charter school and good luck making the lottery. My son is a senior and able to attend any college of his choice and I do not think you can do that if you were not getting a quality education. Also as far as sports goes, I do not know how the one review can say that sports have declined. They have had state titles in Girls Softball, Baseball, Wrestling and went to states in Football in the past few years. That does not sound like decline to me. Overall, Caravel is a great school where the parents are involved and the teachers and the administration care!

Posted May 13, 2012

We chose this school because we felt that our two children would be safe and get a good education. After 8 years at this school, I feel as though the academic standards have been lowered. The teachers are nice people, but for the most part they are not people who intended careers as teachers. They are young recent grads or parents who work there to get massive tuition breaks. We are very dissapointed with the athletic programs this year. Caravel used to be known for great coaches and programs. For the most part it the athletic programs have been very disappointing over the last two years. Further, numerous athletes have gotten into trouble with partying. We are dissapointed at the decline of the school.

Posted March 7, 2012

My kids have attended Caravel Academy for the last 4 years. We are very pleased with the Lower School. It's a very family friendly enviornment and the parent and teacher involvement is fantastic. My kids love going to school every day.

Posted January 2, 2012

Caravel Academy is the pure definition of a black hole with high standards for students but low teacher and workforce capabilities to meet them for example 30 students=1 teacher.

Posted October 26, 2011

We have 2 children attending Caravel, in 6th and 9th grades. The complainers on this site have me confused. If you think there is something wrong with Caravel, why are your kids there? For a small (~1100 children in Pre-K through 12th grade) school, Caravel has an incredible amount of extra-cirricular activites for the students, some of which you won't even find at the big public schools. A new Science Wing this year, a new Cafeteria last year, a best in the state athletic stadium, I can keep going if you want me to. A superb administration, secure facilities, and a great attitude towards children and their education. There ARE a few old fashioned teachers, but they are few and far between. There are very few discipline problems, and we have seen children expelled who can't, or won't follow the rules of decent society. The kids are free to excel in an environment where learning, sportsmanship, mutual support between the students and staff are all evident every day. If you want to just "dump" your kids at school every day and not participate in the education, then you're better off somewhere else. We Caravel parents LIKE being involved in our childrens education!!!

Posted April 21, 2011

The school facilities need to be upgraded. The enrollment has swelled over the years and the buildings are no longer able to accommodate the students in a productive manner. Storage areas(with no windows) have been converted to classroom space and decrepit old "modular" trailer classrooms have been on site for nearly a decade. They are not secure and have been broken into repeatedly. The staff is dedicated but the school has not invested in technology upgrades in many years and are far behind the public school system in that area. They are not safe. There are some teachers who are not up to date on 21st century methodologies. These are the teachers who continue to offer instruction in the manner in which instruction was offered 30 years ago. Text/test oriented with very little regard for or understanding of distributed learning approaches. Most of the staff members appear to be dedicated to student success but are limited in the resources they have available to meet these goals.often, High schoolers are unable to use their own library because the middle school children are in there. Some staff members are downright rude to students. Not a good pick. Very disappointed.

Posted March 6, 2011

I currently am going to this school. They offer many academic activities for everyone to do! There are so many sports and clubs you can join that most other schools do not offer. The principle and teachers are very nice. You are challenged but you can have help if you need it.

Posted January 17, 2011

caravel is a great school .. the kids are great and respectfull and the teachers are very good at teaching the children ,and to the other person that has said it has went down hill is wrong .this is a great school
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 2, 2010

Former Caravel family. School has gone way way downhill in recent years. Overcrowded and outdated are the things that come to mind. Most teachers try but can't compete with the resources available in the better public schools. Everyone slams De public schools but we have not had that experience. Guess it just depends on the district. I would not recommend Caravel.

Posted June 4, 2010

My daughter attended there from 2 thru 6 grades. Her 2nd - 4th grade experience was pretty good and she seemed fairly happy, but once she hit the middle grades things took a nose dive. I too felt that teachers were not entirely competent in their subjects, and I felt that the academic quality of the school was average at best. For example, my daughter's 6th grade science book was 10 years old. She is an almost straight "A" student, but that is because the bar is set very low. In summary, Caravel is not really like a private school - it's more like a public school that you pay for. It's just that in DE the public schools are so bad, you don't have good alternatives.

Posted February 26, 2010

My children attend Caravev. The only reason they attend Caravel is because the public schools in Delaware are quite simply put very poor. Both of my children have and are doing very well. My biggest complaint with Caravel is the High School. There are many teachers that are teaching subjects they do not know a thing about or how to teach a subject. A certain freshman history teacher should be teaching ancient history. After two children having her for a class I can truly say she does not know the subject material or how to teach--both kids enede up with a 4.0 in her class--but neither of my children learned anything about ancient history; the basis for history to follow. This can be followed up by a freshman science teacher. Science teacher?? this woman does not know science or how to teach it--again both 4.0's but very little knowledge.

Posted November 18, 2009

I just stumbled onto this website and review all the past comments about Caravel. I noticed that the only negative comments were from parents whose children were in kindergarten and although they were happy with the academics, they were disapointed at the disciplinary expectations. Seriously, at six years old, this is VERY important. This is what begins to mold your child as a student and member of society. If they can't learn to behave at that age, then it is all down hill from there. My son has been going to Caravel since kindergarten and is now in the 7th grade and I must say he is definately a well rounded individual...in part due to Caravel. My son likes his teachers and is a straight A student. I highly recommend Caravel to anyone looking to get their child out of the crappy public school system in Delaware.

Posted July 4, 2009

I have been going to Caravel all my life, and I love it! I would not want to go to any other school. The teachers are super nice and supportive to the kids, in any grade. Everyone I know that goes or went to Caravel really likes it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 18, 2009

My child attends Caravel in the Pre-K program and I am very pleased with the school. The quality of instruction is excellent and I have had no issues. I am looking forward to her starting K, with the language introduction (Carvel teaches Spanish and French to all students) My daaughter is a well behaved student in school and is a well behaved child at home. Some of the comments about discipline may stem from the fact the child and parent (s) are the problem, not the school. If the child does what they are told and has self control, the school would probably not have to discipline children under the age of 6 as one rating suggested.

Posted February 13, 2009

Fantastic school. I highly recommend.

Posted January 28, 2009

My two boys and I recently came to Caravel after a disappointing educational experience with a Kent County Catholic School. We are so impressed with their character program, superior teaching and administrative staff, respectful students and warm families that make Caravel so extraordinary. My children don't want to ever leave! We all love it!

Asian 11% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2801 Del Laws Rd