No rating

Holy Cross School

Private | PK-8 | 686 students

Living in Dover

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $166,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted Friday, August 22, 2014

Our children attended this school for over 5 years and we thought it was our only option in the small city of Dover where there are few schools to choose from. Academics are in line with other private and public school in the state, but the social environment is hostile and declining as many families have left or are leaving the school. There is a HUGE emphasis on fundraising, and the children are wrongly made to compete in fundraising efforts. The teachers and assistant principal are very dedicated to the students, but the principal and priest administrator do not effectively address the persistent bullying and hostile environment at the school. As a parent, it is difficult, to gain access to administrators for conferences. Our children have thrived in a different school environment and I wish we had pulled them out sooner than we did. I feel badly for the teachers left at Holy Cross, most of whom are truly dedicated educators.

Posted July 27, 2014

Where to begin, we did enroll our kids in this school because of a long standing catholic education tradition in our family and we wanted them to learn while developing in the Catholic faith. This school may have a good curriculum (read, good, not great) but the atmosphere is a bullying one. Parents bullying parents due to economic status. It is about who you know or who you are married to and how much you contribute money wise. The principal's leadership skills provide food for thought and a lot to be desired. Further, rules are not followed despite being on a handbook (too short skirts, make up, tight-near to pop the button shirts, etc). The nurse's office has expanded and every time my children are ill, they feel comfortable and nurtured. The building administrators are very helpful and very nice. And let's not talk about the PTO (they call it HSA) meetings; you will be lucky to express your opinion if you attend. In summary, we are looking for another school. It pains to leave the amazing teachers we had for our children, but it's too much money paid (financial aid is not very available unless you have more than 3 kids in) to be in this type of environment.

Posted June 9, 2014

My children (one now in JR High) have attended Holy Cross since Kindergarten. I can't say enough about this school, its teachers, and most of all the student body. My children have thrived in this loving atmosphere, where there is emphasis on both academic and character education. It is a comfort knowing my kids spend their days where values are both taught and demonstrated, that they are getting quality education along with a peer group that share similar values

Posted May 5, 2014

The school and staff are wonderful! They truly create a family like atmosphere. After reading the previous negative comments, I have come to realize it is not the school that is declining, but the parental involvement and school spirit. The school shines and produces many well educated children that care about religion, community, academics, and family, which is very rare in today's youth. I am very grateful for the education that my children are receiving, and the staff who are making it possible!

Posted March 18, 2014

Our son has attended since pre k. We had a great experience until this year. This school cost a lot of money but you get very little for your investment. Class sizes are larger than most public schools and since the departure of the previous administration it appears to have declined. We planned to have our children finish elementary school here but we are exploring other options. Not worth the cost.

Posted March 6, 2014

Holy Cross is not the best; yet not the worst. We are looking into other school options for our child. Do your homework before making a decision. HC is a declining school and it really shows.

Posted September 13, 2013

All around this is an excellent school. My daughter loves it and enjoys her teachers. She looks forward to school every day.

Posted May 10, 2013

We chose Holy Cross as a safer alternative to the public middle schools which is a disaster. While she was physically safer, we were not happy with the school/home relationship or the relationships between our child and her team of teachers. The teachers we had did not communicate with the parents about problems/issues or good things. My child's self esteem was almost nonexistent after one year at this school. We could no longer justify paying money to send her back and continue to feel like trash. Middle school is hard enough to navigate. When we were making our choices, I heard a lot of negative comments about the school. However when I took the tour and met with the vice principal I could not have been happier with my choice or made to feel more welcome. However from day one, my daughter being new to private school was glaring and instead of helping her adjust and explain how things work..she was made to feel unwelcome and stupid.

Posted March 7, 2013

Absolutely fablous school with dedicated teachers and staff. There is an emphasis on fundraising, but that is because it is a Catholic school that is not granted a lot of money like the surrounding public schools. There are true Catholic values to those who are willing to accept them. My children are all thriving. The former principal, who was creating a negative atmosphere, is gone and the current principal and vice principal are extremely competent. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a wonderful, safe environment for their children. This is my eighth year at this school and look forward to another eight. Holy Cross has challenging academic programs, plenty of enrichment programs, and lots of love built in, as well.

Posted January 23, 2013

Holy Cross is an excellent school with teachers who are committed to providing the best education for their students. My son has a mild learning disability, but has flourished at this school.

Posted March 22, 2011

I ended up pulling all of my children from this school, due to the unfriendly atmosphere and the main focus of raising funds. There is little to do with Catholic values, I feel. I would not recommend.

Posted June 18, 2010

Holy Cross is a family and community-centered environment. They are getting state-of-the-art science labs this summer. The principal has a vision, and has rearranged the classes to build on strengths of the faculty.

Posted March 31, 2010

I am not happy with the quality of education received. They let my son fall though the cracks and do not update the parents on daily grading. I removed my son from this school.

Posted March 13, 2010

Excellent school! My older son who graduated from Holy Cross is now excelling in high school. My younger son in 4 th grade loves school and also is doing very well.

Posted July 23, 2009

im going into 7th grade at holy cross and the school is great.we currently got a new princlepal and she shows a ton of leadership.the school is good in education because the teachers try a prepare you for the future

Posted June 13, 2009

Excellent school. The teachers are truly dedicated to the student's success. Would highly recommend it for families.

Posted May 14, 2009

I'm a student in the Junior High. This school is okay, I guess. The principal is not very friendly to us, and a lot of us dislike her. The teachers are so-so, except for the 6th grade social studies+religion teacher, who has to be my favorite. The school's music programs are average (but the chorus program is fun). Sports are pretty good. I guess this school is fine, but it's not something to get excited about. It would be a lot better without the principal.

Posted April 15, 2009

The staff was very unfriendly and lowered my daughter's self-esteem. If you're looking for a Christian environment, look elsewhere.

Posted March 14, 2009

I am a graduate of Holy Cross. They provided me with a high moral and excellent educational foundation that I could never repay. Everyday I thank my Mother for sending me to Holy Cross.

Posted March 2, 2009

A school that has good teachers but is in a difficult leadership change. The principal does not seem to be in-tune with the community causing some internal issues that are spilling out into the community.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (302) 674-5782

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Wilmington