Bad
Good

My daughter was there for kindergarten 2014-2015 school year and had an amazing teacher Mrs. Hastings. The learning in which my daughter had there was truly amazing the common core curriculum was fast paced but my daughter really took well to it she can read a lot better and has been doing well understanding math. If you're child doesn't come home telling you what she/he has learned then the teacher isn't doing their job. At Welch my child did a lot for kindergarten and I wish we were still there because my daughter loved that school! The only reason we moved was because my husband is Air Force and got orders :/ ceaser rodney district thumbs up.

I must say that this is one of the worst schools my son has been to. Before this year he was in the gifted program. His teacher now is more interested in controlling him, not teaching him. They teach to look good on paper. He is bored, feels targeted, and his grades have dropped and has now lost his interest in school. This could be just one teacher, and if I thought they would move him out of her class this late in the year I would. Whenever we would ask for a conference there would be no less than four of them and resembled a court room, the last one we had, my son left crying! This is a new principle this year, he hasn't been involved, so I can't say, but I'm sure he's better than the last one. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

I have 3 kids in this school, have been here for 3 years and continue to be impressed. I'm really surprised at the comments below. I too arrived in 2011 and felt welcomed from day 1. My kids have had 4 teachers combined so far and although I have my favorites, they've all been really really good. The front office and principal have been nothing short of polite and helpful every time i've interacted with them. Much much better than our previous school district. I admittedly don't attend all the after school activities but I am impressed that they are all family and academic focused. They always seem to have some sort of math, reading or something night which involves learning. Our previous school held fundraisers at night with no mention of education. So this has been a welcome change. I would stay here if I could.

I have a had at least one student in this school for almost 12 years. I have been through four principals in that time. Unfortunately, the 3rd principal did some damage to the morale, as seen by the reviews before mine. However, the new principal seems to be turning things around. I've always felt that the teachers made this school. They are a military school, and they cater to the military mind set much more than other public schools. Having known some of these teachers for more than a decade, I can say that most of them are hardworking and caring individuals that remain very involved with the kids. I wouldn't say that my children were always challenged, but I find that they are as challenged as they can be in a public school in Kent County Delaware.

I read some of the reviews and am flabbergasted. I find the staff is friendly and the atmophere seems very welcoming. I understand that the PTA is active but it seems slighly unwelcoming,clickish, and seem to be there more for the teacher instead of the students. We moved here from a base down south and feel very good about sending our children to Welch. Love the drop off and it is a plus when your child has the door opened by the smiling art teacher, or one of the other teachers, along with the vice principal each morning.

Also, my 3rd grader actually cried on the last day of school because she loved her teacher so much. She was in the gifted program At her previous school, but she was more challanged at this school in the basic classroom Than she ever was in the gifted program. I can't say enough good things about this school and it's staff. The single complaint I would have would be that I with they had a healthier lunch program! Hot dogs, pizza, and tacos are the norm, but I wish there were some healthier meals for lunch and for breakfast as well!

My child has been attentending Welch for three & half years and unfortunately I have seen the school atmospher deteriorate. I have been very involved in helping my child's teachers over these years and I do believe the principal and vice principal are the reason for the deterioration.

After moving around in the military and having an opportunity to experience other schools, this school is the worst. This was also the first time I have had a child attend a school on base and it will definitely be the last. Some of the teachers could care less and seem to only be there to collect a paycheck and the office staff IS very unwelcoming as another reviewer stated.

This school is unwelcoming. The teachers are good for the most part but the front office staff and the principal and vice-principal are not. Upon arrival mid-school year I asked if we could meet the teachers. I was told no, they could not ask the teachers to come in early, stay late or give up a planning period. I had a K, 2nd, 4th and 5th grader starting school. I was told they would line up by their doors outside and they would meet the teacher when going into their class (I was not permitted to walk with them -first day or any day- or to meet the teacher at all), I would need to request a conference in order to do that. It took me showing up early at the office, signing in and telling the VP that I was going to meet their teachers or they were going home with me, she then called each teacher on the intercom and followed us to each room. For a school located on a military base they have no clue how to welcome military families. This school is heavy in writing and behind or less focused on math compared to Texas where we came from prior. If it weren t for most of the teachers, I would be homeschooling them all right now.

Last modified Welch (Major George S.) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.