The Jefferson School

Private | PK-8 | 93 students

Living in Georgetown

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $152,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $744.

Sweep tile

Posted November 5, 2013

The Jefferson School is in a league of its own. If you are looking for a school where students are fed material and asked to spit it back on tests, so the school appears excellent according to state testing standards, this is not the school for you.If you want your child to come home with volumes of "busy work"that never challenges them to think, but only memorize, send them somewhere else. The Jefferson School day is jam-packed with interactive learning in a fun, engaging and nurturing environment. There is no bullying here, no distractions, no nonsense. Students are enriched by a caring and very educated staff, which brings worlds of experience to their classrooms. These students perform miles ahead of those students in the surrounding educational facilities in both testing parameters and beyond. They are at the top of their class in their high schools, which speaks volumes of the quality of education they received at this school. They become thinkers and leaders , which stems from a combination of the education they receive at school and at home. In my opinion, there is not a better quality education in this region. You owe it to yourself and your children to take a look.

Posted September 6, 2013

To say my family has been thrilled by our positive experience at TJS would be an understatement. Our son was never excited about going to school prior to attending TJS. At TJS, his teacher was able to recognize that his disinterest came from not being challenged (something that was never addressed at much more expensive private schools he has attended). He was given a tailored curriculum to keep his mind active and foster his love for learning (is there anything more important for your child than that?). The class sizes are small and the teachers have time to get to know your child in a way that is impossible to do with larger classes. All of his teachers took interest in him, finding extra ways to help him build his confidence and help grow his character. TJS administration is outstanding. Ms. Hendricks is smart, pro-active and has proven she is capable of elevating TJS to the highest standards in education. If you have a smart, capable child and want them to be in an environment where fellow parents, faculty and adminstration are all dedicated to giving your child an outstanding progressive education, this is the place to be.

Posted June 4, 2013

The Jefferson School, Georgetown, DE. While our family had high hopes for our children's experience at Jefferson, we can only say how very disappointed we are with the poor curriculum and inadequate teaching staff. This school is so far from its founding mission that it's next to impossible to compare the learning experience from 10-20 years ago to its current practices. While some staff members are ok, others are lazy, disengaged, and very cavalier about students' performances. Most parents are supplementing the curriculum by Kumon tutoring centers. Our children have had to be tutored when they transferred from Jefferson to local public schools. Students' various learning styles were never adequately identified or addressed. The math curriculum is particularly weak and does not follow the Delaware standardized norms. Reading and writing are stronger programs, but science, history, etc, are not. There are no textbooks. There is little or no homework. Delaware DOE does not monitor private schools like it does public/federally funded schools. My statements do not represent an aberration. I cannot say enough about how disappointing this school experience has been.

Posted November 4, 2012

We loved the Jefferson School as a safe and fun environment but, after two years there my daughter still remained at the grade level when she entered. Socially, the children flourished in a well-loved and nurturing environment but, academically, my daughter suffered and is now having to make up two grades of missed work. I found this out after transferring her to another school. The most surprising of it all is that academic concern was never shared with me and I was being told she was at grade level. I would highly recommend Jefferson for the younger children but then transfer out starting at the grade levels.

Posted November 22, 2011

We love Jefferson! It is like a family. The parents are very involved at all levels, the kids are happy, and the teachers are incredibly dedicated. The hands on curriculum allows the kids to learn at a deeper level than in the public schools. It's a gem!

Posted December 31, 2010

I went to that school for 4 years, 1st-4th. I enjoyed my time there. I am now in eigth grade and above most kids in computer skills that we did almost everday at Jefferson. I loved how the classes were smaller and the teaches interacted with all students. With the school being so small, it let all the students know all the other students, kinda like a TJS family. It also let the school do more bigger school and class activities. I loved all the teachers, Mr. John was my favorite. I liked how the whoole school galled at the "Triangle" for morning annoucements and the pledge of alledgece. At my current school we have over 650 students so we dont get to do as big school activites. Once again, The Jefferson School is a amazing school and i am glad to have been a part of it!

Posted May 7, 2010

The school is awesome! New Head of School Ms. Hendricks has brought so much to the school. After school activities are growing rapidly under her leadership. The kids are excelling so much I can't believe it. The Kindergarten class just built a life size-6ft dia- Eagles Nest! How awesome. The kids graduating from Jefferson are so motivated, kind, tolerant and intelligent. I know I am doing the best for my kids!!!

Posted April 19, 2010

Love the challenging, individualized curriculum and the cooperative culture.

Posted October 4, 2009

The school's child-centered education with the best teachers in the area has made a tremendous difference to my kids. Both are excelling well. Graduates from this school are considered self-confident, independent learners which give them confidence to succeed in their later years in high school and beyond.

Posted October 4, 2009

I love the uniqueness of The Jefferson School, the only private, independent school in Sussex County Delaware, and its hands-on approach to teaching/learning.

Posted October 4, 2009

Because they do a fantastic job brining out the best in my kids and helping them learn! The teachers are fantastic!

Posted March 4, 2009

I've been a teacher at TJS for a couple of years now, and I am also a parent of a student. The educational program is excellent. Students meet and excel state standards as well as being very involved in specials such as art, music, and Spanish. The small class sizes allow for great interaction between students and teachers, and project-based learning makes learning come alive for students. I highly recommend TJS for all parents looking for an alternative to traditional education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 16, 2008

This is a fabulous school filled with dedicated teachers who can truly make learning fun for children. They treat children with great care and respect -- but they also set high standards. Youngsters respond accordingly with enthusiam and determination. My daughter, who has attended Jefferson for three years, has never complained about having to go to school. What a great change from the pressure teachers and children elsewhere feel to do well for state tests.

Posted January 9, 2008

The school changed a lot since end of last year. They combined two pre-K classrooms into one big classroom with one teacher and two assistants. It used to be two classrooms with one teacher and one assistant in each classroom. The new pre-K classroom count is now 23 students with 6 students dropped out (total was 29 pre-K students at start of this year). All school assistants were not hired for this year, many teachers resigned and teacher/student ratio is no more 1:8 this year. It used to be a great school but now I feel forced to move my kids out of Jefferson school.

Posted August 29, 2006

I went to the Jefferson school Pre-K through 5th grade. I loved it. The teachers are great! You learn alot more than you normally would because you're always in small classes. They teach even the youngest students (age 3) music, art and spanish. There is never more than 130 kids at the Jefferson School, it was like my family. I knew everyone. It goes from Pre-K until 8th grade. I reccomend the Jefferson School as your #1 school! They require uniform, but it can be from any brand, as long as you're wearing white top, navy bottoms. My last day I would be at the Jefferson School, I cried SO much. Go there! It's awesome! A great learning enviornment.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 4, 2006

My child has attended this school through 2 years of Pre-K through 5th grade. She will be attending 6th grade this fall. The school is very individualized and allows your child to use natural curiosity to acquire a love of learning. The staff is outstanding and they stand behind their commitmit that every child wants to and can learn. Check this wonderful school out!

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

22051 Wilson Rd