Sussex Academy

Charter | 6-9 | 412 students

Living in Georgetown

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $152,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $744.

Posted Sunday, July 20, 2014

I have been going to Sussex Academy school from 6th to 8th grade. Bullying in this school happens everyday, not just to me but every around me. I am glad to be leaving this school this year. If i had to redo these last 3 years of my life, I would had never let my parents send me to this school. Some teachers care but others don't teach what needs to be learn. It is honestly sad in my opinion, teachers need to step in and stop the bullying. The teachers yell at students for very little things and it isn't fair. This school is unfair and unsafe really. I wish I never went here for middle school. I am so happy to leave this year, you have no idea. Word of advice DONT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE.

Posted June 5, 2014

Challenging curriculum/lots of homework: absolutely. But SA doesn't mislead anyone applying for admission about this fact. It's manageable, and teaches the kids time management and organizational skills. Bullying: I think the unfortunate truth is that bullying will happen in any school environment. It has not been an issue with my student personally. Based on the (few) stories I've heard from my kid, I think that SA does the best it can to manage any situations they are aware of. Parental Involvement: Not greatly encouraged. But, the teachers have been terrifically responsive any time I've contacted them. I do think it's fair to say, and my student has observed, that many of the teachers do favor the popular/athletic/"good" students. I chalk this up as a life lesson, and still encourage my kid to do the best she can. Music department is outstanding. Extracurricular opportunities are vast. My child is in a challenging, encouraging environment that will set her up to become a productive, successful part of the real world. I have no regrets about sending her here.

Posted April 22, 2014

I have noticed people are saying that the school doesn't joudge because we wear uniforms but the truth is that we get judged by our shoes or hair ties or even hair styles. The school has way to many rich people and way too little african american or oreantal students. The school is a shame it is unfair, rough, underminding, even turns people into criminals (yes we have had cops come a few times that I have noticed in my three years) the school isn't all bad for the curriculum but if people would stop being arrogant and bullies and even refusing to get rid of bullies then it would be excellent. Bottom line, if you want your kid to excel in learning but don't care about their mental state then send them here!

Posted April 6, 2014

This charter school should be INVESTIGATED. Work load is accelerated, organization is an absolute must, homework is more than other schools and grading system is totally biased. Nothing exemplary about the atmosphere! Bullying is VERY evident, both from the teachers and students. Too much is ignored. If your child is not an "A" student and an athlete, do not accept this farce of a lottery. There is no diversity of any kind here. No special consideration made for any child that requires a learning plan, or simply cannot keep up. Your child's self esteem will not be nurtured unless they fit in the mold. Parent participation and communication is non-existent. The evidence speaks for itself. The withdrawal rate is enormous throughout the year and does not concern the administration at all. Only the prize students are wanted here.

Posted April 6, 2014

This school is absoutely terrible. Not so much as the work, but the social atmosphere. Bullying is a definite problem, the athletes and 'A' students are favoritized, and some of the teachers are simply awful. The majority of the teachers get angry over petty things. Sure, this school may be advanced, but it is not worth the un-kind teachers, administrators, and students.

Posted April 2, 2014

Sussex Academy is EXEMPLARY! Definitely a preparatory school. The content is challenging, engaging and hands on. The rules are strict and adhered to. The teachers are knowledgeable and dedicated. The whole school is a community. No clicks here. In fact the kids are very accepting of differences, yet friendly. NO BULLYING HERE! The music department is top notch. The theater arts is fantastic. ***way too much homework*** we have many nights with 3+ hrs; however, my student has become impress-ably independent, organized and confident.*** they have a frustrating method for retaining completed work. Each night they glue new work and assignments into binders. No loose papers. The problem is... a 51.24lb book bag. My pediatrician is considering a formal complaint. We have dealt with this by purchasing a rolling backpack. Be sure to budget for a good one. Lunches are very good and a decent size. The dress code is adhered to. Be sure to purchase adequate changes. For a while I was constantly doing laundry with just 3 sets of uniforms. SPORTS! You will never find more diversity in a school this size. Something for everyone. They allocate a lot of money to extra curricular activities.GREAT

Posted August 1, 2013

Sussex Academy is the school my daughter chose to go after shadowing at 6 private high schools! This is Sussex Academy first year offering High School and so far I am impress by how welcoming the staff has been to students and parents. Soon after my daughter's acceptance in April there has been constant contact which has made my daughter feel so comfortable starting high school!

Posted January 7, 2013

I agree with other parents who stated that parental involvement is discouraged. Also, the teachers aren't kid or parent friendly. I hated having my child feel so intimidated by teachers. I don't think this is the best learning environment. Students should feel at ease to ask questions, not feel they will be "yelled at" for asking. And the focus should be on learning, not the little piddly things they make huge deals out of. Teachers and administrators feel they are a step above everyone else. This school was horrible for my child's self esteem, which is why I pulled her out after seventh grade. She is now thriving and learning in a school where she is respected and cared about in the most positive way.

Posted September 5, 2012

Best school in this geographical area. Students are eager, curious, optimistic but most of all, proud of their own individual achievements in which they demonstrate in their personal portfolios. This school really enforces the principles of independent, critical and creative thinking into their educational curriculum. This school is an Expeditionary Learning school that reflects educational values and beliefs. As an older parent, watching my child grow as a student over the past three years has been extremely rewarding and has been an amazing experience for both myself and my child.

Posted April 27, 2012

Great program and administration, students first rate and dedicated. However, few good teachers and some are terrible; arbitrary grading, where excellent, hard work can earn C or worse; parental involvement discouraged. Frustrating and overrated.

Posted May 7, 2009

I am so glad i go to this school. This is my first year at saas and *wheew* it was so hard in the beginning and not knowing anybody was hard too especially when you have to sit near all of these 7 graders too. But as you go along through the marking periods you get to learn about everybody and you wont feel like a outcast anymore. And looking back at my fist few weeks at saas wow a lot of things changed like the girl that sits next to you in home room ends up to be one of your bestfriends. The good part of going to saas is that most of the people are nice to you.

Posted January 29, 2009

It's a challenging school, and offers Academic Challenge (exelerated classes), but the teachers are a pain. They really like their rules, and are way too strict about the silliest things. They make you think that they're doing what they do in high school, but high school isn't half as bad. They also act like they want parents involved, but they don't. It's a big downside, but overall, it's a great school. Our State Testing scores are 8 or 9th in the nation from last year!

Posted January 14, 2009

In the past, if asked if i had ever recieved anything beneath an a, i would have found this question both ludacris and remotly offensive. However, in the past three years of my middle school career here at SAAS, I have found that a C is not out of the ordinary. I enjoy the hands on learning enviroment Sussex Academy offers. The well qualified and expirienced teachers are obviously to blame for such a great atmosphere in which to learn. To demonstrate this, last year, when learning about Pre- History in Social Studies, we found ourselves crawling through a cave to retrive artifacts that could tell about life at that era. The teachers are approachable and want you to succeed (although they really hold your feet to the fire.) My years in this small school have really paid off academically.

Posted November 3, 2008

The best thing about this school is that we are challenged. 6th grade was the first time in my life that I actually had to work for my grades. You learn in new ways through Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound. In the 2008 DSTP Scores, SAAS scored the HIGHEST in Writing out of all middle and high schools in the entire state. Even though you're leaving your home district to come here, it is worth it. You'll meet great students, teachers, administrators, and you will not want to leave. We've been visited by WBOC, WHYY, Jack Markell, multiple journalists, and other prominent figures in our community. We've been a Superior school for a long time, so we have obviously got the brains and skills!

Posted October 9, 2008

Awesome i currently go to SAAS! It will make your high school easier than it seems and helps!

Posted May 10, 2008

This school is a blessing, finally I could get away from the idiots of regular middle schools, if you need a challenge and want to meet awesomely eccentric teachers come here! I learned so much and I'm so much smarter now than if I went somewhere else. Only smart kids belong in SAAS and in the end, those were the only ones left!

Posted April 10, 2008

My school is awesome i love the way no one gets judged as quick about clothing because we wear uniforms!

Posted February 20, 2008

Awesome school. If is mostly for kids who excel in school in many areas. The teachers make the students responsible for their work and I feel my son has really grown up and done very well. He gets average grades now, he was a straight A student before attending this school. I would recommend it to anyone who wants their child's education to come first above sports and social events. YOUR CHILD WILL BLOOM!

Posted February 20, 2008

Awesome school. If is mostly for kids who excel in school in many areas. The teachers make the students responsible for their work and I feel my son has really grown up and done very well. He gets average grades now, he was a straight a student before attending this school. I would recommend it to anyone who wants their child's education to come first above sports and social events. Your child will bloom!

Posted May 15, 2006

I am a parent of a current 8th grader. I have found her experience at the school to be exceptional. She hates to leave the school. The school incorporates all the classes in their study of topics. For instance, In reading class they read a book ('Hatchet') about a boy who's plane crashed on his way to a Canadain providence. Social Studies looked at the map of Canada and worked with clues in the book to try and determine his location. Math, Science, writing all did the same sort of thing. The school has 'clubs' which meet during school time. So there really is 'extra curricular' activites, just not done after school. There is also interscholastic sports. Overall, the best Middle School around...good luck in the lottery getting in the school held in Jan. each year!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Delaware used the Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System (DCAS) to test students in English language arts and math in grades 3 through 10, in social studies in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5, 8 and 10. The DCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Delaware. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

There are not enough high schools in Delaware for GreatSchools to generate fair Ratings for high schools at this time.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 60% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 73% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

All Students92%
Title I92%
Regular ed94%
Proficient in English92%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Delaware Department of Education. If there are fewer than 15 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Social Studies

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A49%

Fax number
  • (302) 856-3376

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now