Hockessin Montessori School

Private | PK-6, 8 | 136 students

Living in Hockessin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $310,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Sweep tile

Posted December 4, 2013

I am extremely pleased with HMS - the quality of the teachers, the variety of activities offered and the facilities are all top notch. The school emphasizes respect for yourself and your peers - something so needed in todays society. For the toddler program, they "follow the child" and allow them to learn and do at their own pace. My daughter has learned so much in the time she spends there and I feel lucky to have found such caring teachers and administrators. HMS is a wonderful place for your child to begin the learning process. I highly recommend it.

Posted June 29, 2013

My son has been at HMS for 4 years now, starting at age 3. It is a beautiful school--both in terms of the building and grounds and more so in terms of the learning environment. Our son completed the Children's House program and was more than prepared for first grade. His teacher was Miss Caroline--energetic and super-involved with each child's progression. Our son blossomed this year with Miss Shamima in the Lower Elementary program. She is truly an inspirational teacher that comes along rarely. There are kids working at all levels in her classroom and each is a valued member--respect amongst peers is emphasized. My son is thriving academically and socially. They have created an atmosphere of curiosity in the classroom and we have tried to repeat aspects of it here at home. We consider ourselves so lucky to have had the opportunity to send our son to HMS.

Posted April 24, 2013

HMS was a huge part of my daughter's educational and emotional growth this year. It was her first time attending school of any kind, and the staff at HMS made the transition completely seamless. Her teachers, Annick and Gwen, along with Janette, Jamie, and all of the staff at HMS, gave her a sense of safety, individuality, and confidence that she will carry with her for the rest of her life. At 4 yrs old, she began the year struggling to recognize letters, and last month she was actually sounding out words to me and beginning to read! She has learned social studies, geography, science, math, and reading, all through hands on play. She has even begun doing chores at home, especially sweeping and making her bed, all thanks to the routines instilled in her at school. Through all of the struggles we've had this year, mostly due to my divorce, my daughter has been able to cope extremely well and adjust to our new life with grace and ease. The opportunity for parental involvement is strong, and I've enjoyed attending the parent education workshops. To be honest, nothing I can write in a review on this site could possibly do the school any justice. We love, love, LOVE this school!

Posted October 9, 2012

My child attended since he was a toddler. The school is very caring about the students and the community. Not only has he learned and excelled academically, he has grown culturally and as an individual. He has matured at such a short period of time and continues to impress us with his knowledge.

Posted March 22, 2010

I'm really surprised to see so good ratings. My son has been in HMS and it leaves much to wish for, especially in leadership. For us it wasn't a professional school. The school are more concerned about money than their students.

Posted March 8, 2010

My daughter graduated from the Middle School program and is doing well in High School. She is a confident, compassionate person who enjoys learning. I also have a younger child at the school who is thriving. I highly recommend this school and the community of parents involved in the school.

Posted March 8, 2010

I can't say enough about the exceptional programs offered at The Hockessin Montessori School. The staff is warm and welcoming. What I love best about these programs, is that each child is valued for their individual contribution to the group. Each child is worked with at their own development level, whether they are a Toddler or a Middle School student.

Posted March 6, 2010

We have been at the school for 8 years and love the community and Montessori Philosophy. The individual curriculum is amazing! It is so wonderful to see our children love to learn.

Posted March 5, 2010

My children have attended the Hockessin Montessori School for over 7 years. My children have had the opportunity to thrive, develop, mature and learn to love learning at this school. I am comforted that the environment is safe and comfortable. Everyone is treated with care and respect. The school environment is truly like a family. The strongest part of the school is the staff and Teachers. Every classroom has Montessori certified Teachers. Paying tuition for my two children's montessori education is the smartest investment I've ever made!

Posted February 19, 2010

This school has a definite problem with handling student intimidation and bullying properly. Because of their financial situation, they weigh who they discipline against the amount of money they donate to the school. They don't provide any type of finanacial aid so there isn't any diversity. Also, they will tell you that they are a 'true montessori' school, but only some of the teachers practice that type of learning style. If you ask about the student retention after 4th grade it will tell the whole story. The strength of the teachers after 3rd grade leave much to be desired. If you want your child to stay and have some continuity at a school and stay until 8th grade, than this is probably not the school for you. Just look closely when you visit the school and ask for exact student retention numbers that they should provide to you without question.

Posted October 30, 2009

We have been at the school now for two short months for our two sons, ages 3 and 5. They have always been in a high quality, daycare/pre-school setting. HMS has exceeded my expectations from day one. The staff is engaging and my sons are thriving. My 5 yr old is enjoying reading while my 3 yr old comes home counting in Spanish. For two working parents, we utilize the extended day program. The kids enjoy the enrichment activities such as group piano, soccer and crafts. You know you have made the right decision when your only regret is you didn't do it sooner.

Posted May 6, 2009

We have two children (ages 5 and 8) at Hockessin Montessori. We have been thrilled with the quality of the teachers at the school. Both of our children have excelled in the Montessori environment, and we would highly recommend the school to anyone!

Posted April 27, 2009

I believe the Montessori philosophy could help revitalize our nation's education decline. I believe HMS is Montessori at its finest. We have been a part of the school for 6 years and have researched the surrounding private schools extensively. This is where we will continue to have our 2 children educated. Education is individualized. Consistently these kids are achieving higher scores and more importantly a well rounded experience. Diagnoses like ADHD barely register in a Montessori environment since the kids are empowered to choose their own work and complete it at their own pace. Yet somehow, it all gets done. And at higher levels than their peers. Amazing.

Posted October 2, 2004

I have had the most wonderful experience at HMS with my children. HMS is on scale in greatness with the other De;awre long time institutions shcu as Sanford and Tower Hill, Only with smaller class size and more individual attention, and ofcourse the Montessori aspect.

Asian 7% N/A
Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

School start time
  • 7:00am-6:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • AMS
  • Other Montessori
Fax number
  • (302) 234-6950

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Graphics

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units

Apply now