PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

The Hockessin Montessori School is an academically rigorous, yet nurturing school. The teachers are able to provide students with a genuinely individualized education based on each child's needs through engaging, creative lessons thanks to the Montessori philosophy. Children here are happy and love coming to school. There is a true family atmosphere and the teachers seem to genuinely love the school and families.

I am extremely pleased with HMS - the quality of the teachers, the variety of activities offered and the facilities are all top notch. The school emphasizes respect for yourself and your peers - something so needed in todays society. For the toddler program, they "follow the child" and allow them to learn and do at their own pace. My daughter has learned so much in the time she spends there and I feel lucky to have found such caring teachers and administrators. HMS is a wonderful place for your child to begin the learning process. I highly recommend it.

My son has been at HMS for 4 years now, starting at age 3. It is a beautiful school--both in terms of the building and grounds and more so in terms of the learning environment. Our son completed the Children's House program and was more than prepared for first grade. His teacher was Miss Caroline--energetic and super-involved with each child's progression. Our son blossomed this year with Miss Shamima in the Lower Elementary program. She is truly an inspirational teacher that comes along rarely. There are kids working at all levels in her classroom and each is a valued member--respect amongst peers is emphasized. My son is thriving academically and socially. They have created an atmosphere of curiosity in the classroom and we have tried to repeat aspects of it here at home. We consider ourselves so lucky to have had the opportunity to send our son to HMS.

HMS was a huge part of my daughter's educational and emotional growth this year. It was her first time attending school of any kind, and the staff at HMS made the transition completely seamless. Her teachers, Annick and Gwen, along with Janette, Jamie, and all of the staff at HMS, gave her a sense of safety, individuality, and confidence that she will carry with her for the rest of her life. At 4 yrs old, she began the year struggling to recognize letters, and last month she was actually sounding out words to me and beginning to read! She has learned social studies, geography, science, math, and reading, all through hands on play. She has even begun doing chores at home, especially sweeping and making her bed, all thanks to the routines instilled in her at school. Through all of the struggles we've had this year, mostly due to my divorce, my daughter has been able to cope extremely well and adjust to our new life with grace and ease. The opportunity for parental involvement is strong, and I've enjoyed attending the parent education workshops. To be honest, nothing I can write in a review on this site could possibly do the school any justice. We love, love, LOVE this school!

My child attended since he was a toddler. The school is very caring about the students and the community. Not only has he learned and excelled academically, he has grown culturally and as an individual. He has matured at such a short period of time and continues to impress us with his knowledge.

Last modified Hockessin Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8