Southern Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 876 students

Student diversity

Posted May 23, 2014

I have an autistic son and teachers @ southern don't understand students with disabilities, they don't communicate with parents to inform child progress and never want to answer any concerns that I may have, either if you write emails to them or on the child journal.

Posted February 5, 2014

My daughter as ADHD and I believe she has a learning disability but the does not want test her and uses many excuse not to they have her in rti and has been for two years and really not helping. They have no type of communication with parents. I go for a conference and they keep looking at the clock they also give you no notice as to what or how your child is doing I have had to point out issues and ask for things I can help her with and still no answers, it's like you are a bother and taking up their time.

Posted September 10, 2013

Love this school...my daughter started here in 3rd grade (now 5th) after being in private school since PreK. The transition was very smooth and she has loved all of her teachers.

Posted August 29, 2011

My oldest son has been going to Southern for 3 years now and I have had nothing more than a great experience. My son has improved so much over the past couple of years. Teachers have been great in dealing with me and my child. Keep up the good work.

Posted September 23, 2009

Southern is awesome and was just rated Excellent by the state. The curriculum focuses on the whole student; academics, self-esteem, artistic expression, etc., the teachers are caring, and the PTA is active. My kids love this school and so do I.

Posted November 12, 2008

I am so pleased with this school!

Posted November 1, 2008

My daughter is in her second year at Southern. The teachers are great and I have had good experiences with both teachers. I dont feel that the rest of staff of the school are very warm and welcoming and I cannot say that I have had any other positive experiences with this school. I sent the previous principal an email to introduce the Delaware Money School's program 'Bank at School' which teaches student how to save their money and the importance of opening a savings account and managing money. I have not, as of today, ever heard anything from the principal, school district , or anyone else. Also, the school decided to stop Junior Achievement from coming into the school. My daughter loves that program. The reasoning that I received for the removal was that Southern has a similar curriculum to JA. I am just not impressed at all.

Posted October 30, 2008

I was extremely leery of the Delaware Public Schools; therefore my daughter attended a local private school. The decision to transfer her to Southern was not one in which we took lightly. It was the best decision we could have made. Her teachers have been wonderful and the administration staff superb. My daughter is being challenged both intellectually as well as personally. I highly recommend this school.

Posted August 28, 2007

The teachers at this school are top notch, but the school suffers from a lack of true leadership. The current principal is unwilling to address any issue that will result in a conflict with parents - most notably the issue of parking lot safety. The atmosphere is now very oppressive, with parents feeling progressively more unwelcome over the past few years. Lovely new building, great teachers, support staff are for the most part wonderful, but the prinicipal leaves something to be desired.

Posted August 2, 2007

Parental involvement??? There was none last year. I was in the PTA and attended every meeting. I attended a meeting of only 8 parents and then the next month I attended a meeting that didn't take place because even the board members failed to show and it was never cancelled. I did not like my sons first year there, the teacher did not want parents in the classroom even though she said she did and I offered many times with an excuse to follow as why I couldn't come for some reason. My son did not learn anything new because he had to be made to go over everything he had already learned because most kids came to school unprepared. Thankfully we're going to attend the new school and I plan on being super involved since it will also be my daughters first year of school at school.I was not happy.

Posted July 11, 2007

Excellent school and faculty

Posted September 19, 2006

Don't let the 'public' school tag influence you. Southern may be a public school but it is so committed to the education of each student that it surpassed all my expectation once I transferred my son from the local privste school. All the teachers are very involved. It has a great atmosphere. There are many programs and classroom activities to get kids excited about learning. There is a high level of parental involvement, as well. Everyone, students, parents, teachers are at ease.

Posted August 3, 2005

My son entered Kindergarten at Southern the year the school opened. He is now entering 4th grade. We have been SO happy with the school, the teachers, just everything. The facilities are great, but the teachers are even better. My son has excelled (and he has ADHD) thanks to the great teachers. This past year,he made Honor Roll every marking period. A special mention to Mrs. Payne-Miller, his 3rd grade teacher. She has been the best teacher I have encountered anywhere! What a great school! I would not move unless I remained in Southern's feeding pattern!

Posted December 29, 2004

My son is in the 1st grade and his teacher is GREAT. My son has ADHD and she does everything she can to help him and to keep me involved. I love Sounthern Elementary and so does my son.

Posted November 22, 2004

My son, now in 5th grade, has a hard time doing his math, and is on a 3.5 reading level. From second grade on, we were concerned, but 3rd and 4th grade teachers told us that he is doing 'just fine', and that we are worrying too much. Now his 5th grade teacher is saying that he hasn't memorized times tables and is having a hard time reading up to grade level. Who is wrong here? His teachers from past grades. They are so worried about the state testing and are leaving everything else out. He can't spell good either. As long as they pass that state test, I guess you're okay. So, wake up and do better teaching other than worrying if your students are going to pass state testing.

Posted October 11, 2004

I have a 1st and 5th grader going here now. We just moved from a small school in the Red Clay District and while at first I was a little takenaback at how humongous Southern is, I am now loving it. Both of my kids have teachers that I can tell really do love their jobs and their students. My 5th grader has ADHD and a IEP and the teachers and administrators have gone out of their way to make sure that he is taken care of. The school seems to be run very efficiently and I have yet to have any concerns with anyone or anything, I was very concerned when we moved and I am now glad that we did.

Posted October 11, 2004

my daughter is new to Southern Elementary this year. She is in the first grade and has Ms. Roane. My husband and i are very pleased at the progress she is making thus far.Ms. Roane is absolutly a wonderful teacher who is always very pleasant and cheerful, providing a fun and exciting learning atmosphere for her class. So far Southern Elementary school rates 5 stars for us.

Posted September 23, 2004

I have a child who is in 4th grade know. From the begining in 1st grade I have argued that she has learning disabilities. I have had her tested and have proof that she is dislexic. I allways here schools saying there will be no child left behind. My daughter can read at a 6th grade level but cannot spell. The school has not done anything to help her. All I see is a young girl falling farther behind. She is on a 504 plan I have yet to see from the teacher. When I went to open house the teacher had 30 students. How can you help a child with special need with so many children. So far I am very disapionted with Southern elementary. My child is definetly being left behind.

Posted September 22, 2004

We love Southern! Our child is in several special programs so we have had the opportunity to meet and work with several staff members and they are all caring, supportive and devoted to each child.

Posted September 9, 2003

I have a special needs child in the inclusion program here. The Special Ed teachers, therapists and para-professionals are top notch. They really care about the success of the children and encourage parents to get involved.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Delaware used the Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System (DCAS) to test students in English language arts and math in grades 3 through 10, in social studies in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5, 8 and 10. The DCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Delaware. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

There are not enough high schools in Delaware for GreatSchools to generate fair Ratings for high schools at this time.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

Title I77%
Special edn/a
Proficient in English77%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Delaware Department of Education. If there are fewer than 15 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students71%

• Glennon, David
Fax number
  • (302) 832-6305

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now