Bedford (Gunning) Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 984 students

Posted April 24, 2010

There is an interest in children from teachers to succeed in learning.

Posted April 24, 2010

My daughter likes the school and as a father anytime I visited with the teachers we had a good experience. They show concern with her learning and keep us updated with her progress.

Posted October 3, 2009

This is a great Middle school with great staff but does not get recongnize for much of the extra effort put in by staff

Posted July 19, 2009

I Love this school and dont listen to the parent because none of it is true there are fights but they arent bad and they are strict on bad behavior and unlike parents which arent there 5days a week and are somewhere else those days the edcation is great and its the best there and for those that get beat up and tease its because of them doing something like curseing people out and then blame it on the other person when they get in trouble.So go to this school!!!!!!!

Posted June 4, 2009

I absolutley love Gunning Bedford. I was an 8th grader in 2009 and have gone there all 3 years and never really had a problem. I loved my class, I was in the most advance class. I feel as if for the most part there was not alot of fights but everyone must understand middle school does have drama. The teachers for the most part are wonderful. They teach you, what you need to know and are ususally always there. They become very close to the students. Also I felt as if my class and I became a family and I love Gunning Bedford Middle School because of that. The only thing I didn't like was the 6 marking periods but thats not the teachers or schools fault. Plus don't complain about the teachers not teaching the students must want to learn! I love this school, it is amazing.

Posted June 2, 2009

Gunning Bedford is a FANTASTIC school! 2009 was my last year there. I was an 8th grade student. Then i moved on to High School. The teachers there are so down to Earth and can most likely help with with just about everything. The students there are well behaved. There is not a lot of fighting at all. Parents shouldn't blame the teachers or the other students if their child is falling behind academically. Your child is just not paying attention or is picking to hangout or fight other students. When i was in grade school i was doing poorly in 3rd grade but when i came into the Colonial School District my grades were A's and B's. You may here rumors about Gunning Bedford and all the other Colonial School District schools, but you shouldn't believe half the stuff they say because it most likely isn't true. GO GB :D

Posted March 26, 2009

I am very disappointed in this school's staff including the principlals. My child's first year in public school was 2007. He came from a private school on the Honor Roll and is now failing the six grade. This school only teaches for the DSTP. our children aren't learning and they said my child had a possibility of being place.

Posted December 22, 2008

I am a student at Gunning Bedford and I love it. It's fun and there is plenty of after school activities. The teachers are pretty nice and down to earth. I wish we had more up to date books in the library. I also like that when the school does the raffle and we get free movie tickets. You could also get $100 savings bonds.

Posted March 28, 2008

this school is so cool because they have alot of after school activitys for the kids

Posted May 17, 2007

My son attends this school. I find that there is a serious lack of communication between the teachers and parents. The Home-School network is never updated, so you can't check on your child's grades randomly. Bullying seems to be tolerated. The kids are not believed when they have reported incidents unless there is an adult witness, which there rarely are. For the most part, my son enjoys this school, but he is not challenged academically. I am thinking about transferring him in the fall.

Posted February 5, 2007

I love gunning Bedford middle school. I'm in eighth grade & I have been going to Gunning Bedford for almost 3 years. The teachers are really cool and the sports are awesome.

Posted January 6, 2007

I feel very happy to be able to study in this school. it's the best one I have ever been to!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~_~

Posted November 16, 2006

I love gunning bedford middle school. it's by far the best school i've been to. and some of the teachers are the best.

Posted July 16, 2006

I was a student at Gunning Bedford and am now I in High School. GB was an ok school. I was never teased and I always got straight A's. However, there were always fights and i felt that the teachers didn't prepare us for high school. It was so easy to get the grades I got and I felt there wasn't a challenge. When I came into high school I went from getting straight A's to getting C's. I was behind many of my classmates and it was terrible. It's a good school if you want your child to have fun, but its not if your serious about them being prepared for high school.

Posted May 31, 2006

I am a parent and I think the curriculum at this school is one of the best. The teachers should be more responsible in contacting a parent when a child has received several zeros and not wait until the last minute to make a parent aware that their child is in danger of failing. An early response from a teacher could possibly save a child from failing. Teachers there should also return papers that students have done, especially papers that may have failing grades. This would help the student and parent to work on whatever mistakes were made. This to me helps that student to see their mistakes and strive to do better. If you don't see your child's work how will you know if your child needs help or needs to be tutored? Staff,Pta, Admininstration please do better in making your school a great school to come to. Concerned Parent

Posted May 11, 2006

Although their are alot of fights this school's curiculum is the best in the district. Also if their are any fights (Which there are everyday) Nobody is really hurt that bad and the fights are caused by things that are happening outside the school. By the way, Parent's communication with the teachers. That is a big thing because I know all my teachers on 6C stay communicating with my parents thourh email,through confrence,and through telephone.

Posted April 19, 2006

I am currently a 7th grader here at GB in Team 7A, and I believe this school has a poor quality of communication between the parents and teachers. When I first attended GB, I was an honour roll student. Now, I'm barely passing. Some of the teachers are nice, whereas others are cruel. They treat us like little, irresponsible kids. I would not recommend sending my child here at all. There are many fights, and most of the kids cannot act like human beings. There is almost a fight every day in our school.

Posted February 20, 2006

As far as parent involvement goes, I'm about ready to pull my hair out I don't think it's the parents who aren't involved- unfortunately the teachers lack the desire to see the kids who attend GB succeed. E-mail after e-mail, phone call after phone call-no response, it's a shame to see a school fail in so many critical ways. No support for the kids, or for the parents of the failing students. My daughter was an honor roll student before attending GB- now she shutters to walk through the doors, she's teased constantly.

Posted January 25, 2006

i went to gunning bedford in 6th and part of 7th grade.It is horrible there.I was constantly ridiculed by the students,and the teachers didn't do anything.I could say that this school is mostly populated by kids from areas like oakmont a ghetto where shootings and gang activities go on daily.If the school were to have a program for these kids to help them not be so violent and cruel. I would not reccomend this school to anyone.The only good thing was the teachers (most of them) knew what they were teaching. James.W

Posted January 21, 2006

I love my School there is no better!I am happy where I am, and most of the teachers Are really nice to the students. All of the students get their education, that is for sure!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

246 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Delaware used the Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System (DCAS) to test students in English language arts and math in grades 3 through 10, in social studies in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5, 8 and 10. The DCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Delaware. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

There are not enough high schools in Delaware for GreatSchools to generate fair Ratings for high schools at this time.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

328 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 60% in 2013.

329 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 73% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students72%

Special ed26%
Regular ed76%
Proficient in English71%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Delaware Department of Education. If there are fewer than 15 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female80%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options