No rating

Hodgson (Paul M.) Vocational Technical High School

Public | 9-12 | 1048 students

Student diversity

Posted June 19, 2013

Although not a bad school overall, I did notice and encounter some hang ups as a parent while my child was attending. With that said, school event fees were over the top (esp for the seniors) and found questionable, the school lacked showing how much the students were appreciated during their senior year, and last but not least, the school administration can greatly benefit from evaluating the teachers more often both with and without notice during their class sessions. I had a very big problem with one teacher who almost had me make it my mission in seeing her "walk" after I realized this specific teacher was targeting and setting up my overachiever child for failure, yet praising the delinquents for misconduct during class! Lets just say, I commend the administration team for handling that matter sooner than later and bottom line,

Posted February 16, 2012

As a parent of a "special needs" child I was thrilled when my daughter received that "stamp of approval" letter stating that she had been accepted to this great high school! In order to attend Hodgson Vo-Tech a child needs to have laid out the groundwork for acceptance long before the actual application process! Hodgson Vo-Tech is NOT exclusionary to any child, but as a parent it sure is nice to know that each years incoming Freshman class earned their spot! Prior to submitting their application eachchild must create an essay stating WHY they want to attend Hodgson. Incoming students must also possess both an academic and disciplinary record showing that they are consistently able to respect themselves and others. That is a nice thought knowing that potentially disruptive children are not distracting others! Both the educational and directorial/clerical staff are unwaveringly dedicated and accountable in guiding your childs education in order to reach his or her personal goals! I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 5, 2012

I love hodgson. My oldest son is a junior there and is doing well. i love the envireonment, the teachers and the expectation that is set for students is high but realistic. My son is planning to study pre-med in college and i believe he will do well because of the preparation from Hodgson. Dont get me wrong, this is not an academic aggresive environment like a private school but its not only the school who should influence a childs aceademic progress but the parent as well.

Posted June 26, 2008

My oldest son attends Hodgson. He is a part of the class of 2010. He is actively involved in sports. He has done well there. The teachers are excellent. He is involved in his trade and he loves it. Most parents feel as though voc-tech schools do not prepare their child for college. I am so sorry that they feel this way. My son has taken advanced courses and he is definitely being challenged. The only fault that I have is the block scheduling. My son did not get math this year until the 3rd marking period. Too close to the DSTP's.

Posted May 9, 2008

I'm a student at Hodgson. I love this school the teachers really try to help you pass their class. You have to show that you want it though and try really hard. Parents, this would be a great school for you children. It also has great career programs. The only thing wrong with the school is the principal.

Posted November 26, 2006

I think this is a good school!

Posted July 31, 2006

My oldest daughter attends this school in class of 2008 and although in Catholic school for most of her life, Hodgson is not as difficult for her because of this but, the leadership and the amount of dedication from the teachers is excellent. She loves going to Hodgson and is glad she didn't decide to go to a normal public highschool because she feels safer at Hodgson and strongly believes she will have a better start in life with which i agree.

Posted June 29, 2006

I am a Class of 2003 graduate of Hodgson and my experience was great.I don't think I would've wanted to attend another high school in Delaware. The Career Programs really help those students who may not know what the want to do in life. With Nurse Tech, I acquired skills that I could use in any profession. Skills USA VICA was a phenomenal way to excel outside of the classroom. In my opinion, all Hodgson teachers are dedicated to students and ensure a successful high school matriculation. Since my freshman year, parents have always been involved whether it was the PTSA or Booster Clubs. It showed that parents were interested in their children's activities. One thing I learned from Hodgson that I will never forget is the leadership. Gerald Allen was always visible and catered to students needs. I was definitely prepared for college! Now Im graduating in 2007. Thanks Hodgson!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 15, 2005

I am a junior at Hodgson and I love the school! They have so much to offer like sports, but also the carrer areas are great! I'm in Cosmotology and I feel the teachers here Have a great student connection and that Hodgson has the best parent/school/student connection out of the 3 Votech schools, seeing that both my brothers went to Delcastle and Howard.

Posted May 22, 2005

I'm currently attending Hodgson Vo-Tech, I'll be graduating this year (2005),I find it a great school, the students are immature in my opinion and i feel as though if you play sports you get special treatments. Other than that the teachers are all really great and they have a wonderful wellness center.

Posted March 9, 2005

Hodgson Votech has brought sucess to 2 out of 3 of my sons. My oldest graduated from a traditional public H.S. in 1996 but my middle son gradudaed from Hodgson(carpentry trade) in 2000 and my youngest son will graduate from Hodgson( auto body)in June of 2005. Hodgson Votech will prepare your child for college but also give them a strong vocational training that they will appreciate out in the business world. I have found Hodgson Vo-tech to have a wonderful home /school working relationship. The staff truely works hard to see thier students succeed both in and out of the classroom. As a parent who had 2 sons who participated in sports,I commend the coaches who stay ontop of student academic progress and at anytime a student looks like they are struggling the coaches excuse them from practice to get the extra help available. Hodgson ranks high in my book.

Posted August 24, 2004

I think this school has great structure, it is much safer than the public schools. However, I do not feel this school provided my child with the skills needed to go on to college. She was accepted to UD, but had a very hard time keeping up, the other students who went to public school knew alot of things that she was never taught. This being said, I would still send my younger daughter there instead of William Penn.

Posted May 27, 2004

I attend Hodgson and I am in the class of 2005. I am in the top 10% of the juniors. In my classes if I do not keep up with the work, I will fall behind. I have had to write many papers. Some of the teachers I have had will prepare you for college while others still help step by step. If a person needs help they are always here for you. The teachers, sports, and activities are very fun and interesting. This school must be exceptional if there is a waiting list and was a top 100 high school in a magazine. I went to a Catholic school before I came here and my parents would not allow me to attend any other public school except for this one.

Posted February 23, 2004

I feel that Hodgson's education is very elementary like. For high school, my high schooler rarely ever has homework, tests are so easy he does not even need to study, teachers are very lax on the work load which at this age these kids need to ensure learning responsibility. Sports carry too far an impact on what is important. My other 2 that are in elementary/middle school have 5 times as much responsibility and work as he does. And obviously he does what he required to do as he is an honor roll student. Also, never do they have research, term, or book report papers due. My other 2 certainly will not attend there.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 67% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Delaware used the Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System (DCAS) to test students in English language arts and math in grades 3 through 10, in social studies in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5, 8 and 10. The DCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Delaware. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

There are not enough high schools in Delaware for GreatSchools to generate fair Ratings for high schools at this time.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 73% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students77%

Special ed47%
Regular ed93%
Proficient in English89%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Delaware Department of Education. If there are fewer than 15 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students82%

Proficient in English41%

• Lamey, Gerald
Fax number
  • (302) 834-0598

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Vocational education