Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted May 26, 2015
Yes you can go in and share your opinion with the staff but my daughter says zero action is taken and when she asks a staff member for help they usually walk away from her.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 26, 2015
Girls are becoming clicks starting in grade k now and the teachers have zero control. The school puts it out there as if its a bully free zone and we've had the opposite experience the entire year.

Downes (John R.) Elementary School 2

Posted May 26, 2015
My child is in grade k along with the Chinese immersion program. Majority of the school year her teachers have been incompetent. Losing her behavior book/homework. We had multiple phone calls at work about verbal and PHYSICAL bullying. When I attended a meeting to find out about the bullying the teachers had no idea why we were having the meeting or that there was students being punched/pinched in class. They also sent her on a filed trip without my permission and did not feed her lunch!! She had a friends bagged chips to tide her over the next 5 hours. I am hoping to send my daughter elsewhere next year.

Downes (John R.) Elementary School 5

Posted March 21, 2015
I love this school because of its diverse student pool, it's amazing Chinese immersion program, it's very active PTA, and the fact that my kids go to school everyday with a big smile!

Downes (John R.) Elementary School 5

Posted December 13, 2012
Downes is an amazing schoolwith great kids,parents,and teachers!!!!! Ihave had nothing but positive experiences throughout the years. If you are aninvolved parent and regualry visit the school you would know how great the school is.

Downes (John R.) Elementary School 1

Posted December 09, 2012
My children have all hated this school. I have heard teachers yell at students, call them names, ask them if they've taken their "meds today?" My child was bullied and the school denied it to the point of the principal telling me I am enabling my child. I've seen other children traumatized by being at the school, sitting at the front door, crying and screaming, refusing to go in. At lunchtime the kids get yelled at the whole time to ship up and hurry up. All of my children have been not allowed to use the bathroom. They also made a big deal about me wanting my kids to wash their hands before lunch. I was told there are too many kids for hand washing so my kids were given special permission to wash their hands. This year there is a new principal so hopefully it will be a little better. Although, my son was recently sick and was told my a teacher that he was faking. The only reason I send my child there is because his controlling, abusive father insists on it and we are currently in court about it. Don't send your child there, it's like a jail. They think they own your child.

220 Casho Mill Road, Newark, DE  19711
Last modified Downes (John R.) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.