Newark High School 4

Posted June 04, 2013
Both of my kids are current students at NHS. One is in honors classes and the other is in Cambridge Program classes. They are both very active in sports, band, chorus, drama, art and other clubs. The will also be a part of the new Acadamy of Creative Excellence program (ACE) which provides an emphisis on the performing and fine arts programs, which are OUTSTANDING. I am active in all boosters related to their activities. Out of the 3 high schools in the district it is the best school, and my kids love the activities. I have had some issues with lazy or burned out teachers, but all issues were resolved by either myself reaching out to the those teachers, or if no result there, the administration has dealt with it. I will strongly state that it is not a school for the unengaged parent. If I were to provide one main criticism it would be the lack of the ability to provide effective discipline for disruptive students, which takes away teaching time for the rest. I don't think I would send my kids anywhere else if given the option though.

Newark High School 5

Posted June 04, 2013
My child is having a wonderful and robust high school experience at Newark High. The classes are challenging and there are so many leadership, sports and extra-curricular activities from which to choose. She loves her school. Parents looking at Newark High should understand that it is a diverse school expreience. The school serves many types of students and standardize testing scores reflect this diversity. Our duaghter embraces the diversity of the school and has benefitted from being involved in programs that include students with disabilities and from a variety of backgrounds. you will not get this type of experience at private or charter schools. Newark High is the perfect option.

Newark High School 4

Posted March 22, 2012
My daughter is having a wonderful experience at Newark High School. The teachers are wonderful and the academic expectations are very high. Newark had numerous programs for all student levels. The opportunities for personal and academic growth are numerous at Newark. The test scores for Newark can be misleading as Newark supports a higher than average special needs and low income population. But Newark shows the highest rate of growth among honors and AP students in the State. Every teacher has been pro-active and responsive to all of my inquiries. The principal and administration are dedicated to addressing the concerns of parents and students. I highly recommend Newark High School!

Newark High School 1

Posted March 17, 2012
To say that this school is one of the best in New Castle County or in Christina School District does not say much. Both the county and the school district lack good public schools. Four of our six children graduated from Newark High School and it has consistently gotten worse over the years. We will not send another child to this school. While the education standards and the teacher involvement was higher in previous years, it has practically disappeared. Our latest graduate had classes with only one text book for the entire class. Instructors would not provide reference material as handouts. Students were expected to copy everything from the board. The instructor was too busy for a face to face conference and would only give me a phone conference in which he told me that he only had one text book which students could take turns taking home. He also told me that he did not have time to copy reference material for the students to have. I got an appointment with the principal. However, when I showed up he could not devote time to me due to an "Incident" at the school and sent me away. He never even had the courtesy to contact me again to reschedule the appointment.

Newark High School 3

Posted February 18, 2012
Despite the bad things I hear about Newark High School sometimes, my son has gotten a good education there. It's really a matter of the type of classes your child takes and who they hang around with. My son has been in honors classes since his freshman year. He is now a senior who is taking 4 AP classes. He's in the top 10% of his class and was accepted at all of the colleges he applied to. He's a hard worker and a good kid. He has good relationships with his teachers. Any school is really whatever you make of it.

Newark High School
750 East Delaware Avenue, Newark, DE  19711
Last modified Newark High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newark High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 5 reviews. Top