Bad
Good

Lewis is a hidden gem. I feel strongly as a parent, that dual language proficiency is a skill my child will need as an adult. A few years ago when Lewis was on the schools that need improvement list, I made what I thought was a difficult decision to choice my child into this school from a school that always gets awards for it's educational instruction simply because it was the only public school in NCC that taught both Spanish and English. It turns out it was a GREAT decision. Lewis was in initial cohort of of the State of Delaware Department of Education World Languages Program Initiative. It may help parents concerned about the large native Spanish speaker population compared to other Delaware schools to think of those students as additional people who can help a native English speaker become conversational in Spanish. This is a fabulous program with really ambitious goals that I wish were better supported by the public at large. The leaders are very hard working and hands on. Don't cross it off your list because it is located at an inner-city school.

Lewis Elementary is an amazing school that provides education in English and in Spanish. The teachers believe in our children's education and prepare them for the future! I love it!

My daughter started Lewis in Kindergarten. She is now in the 4th grade. She is about 50% bilingual. English is our only language spoken at home. She is academically strong, and I think learning a foreign language in her formative years has been a major asset for her academically. Linda Sammons

Our daughter just finished kindergarten at Lewis. We selected this school for the dual language program and have been thrilled with our choice. She has learned so much Spanish in just one school year...we are just amazed. She is also making great progress in all her subjects. The staff is all fantastic and seem to really care about the kids. They all go the extra mile and are always friendly and positive. The uniform is an added bonus for us as there no arguments about what to wear to school and no concerns about "fitting in" because of clothing. The parent involvement in the PTA could be better, but those who participate work hard for the kids and the school. The school holds great events for families and is very welcoming.

I am a kindergarten teacher in William C. Lewis Dual Language Elementary school. We are a public school located in the Cool Springs area of Wilmington. Our staff is highly-qualified and most of the staff is bilingual. Our students attend a half day program in Spanish, where they learn Spanish Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science in Spanish. In English, I instruct English Language Arts, Writing, and Social Studies. The Spanish and English teachers reinforce the content that is taught in the other language. We follow the Common Core and have many wonderful resources for our students. In addition, we offer a Positive Behavior System throughout the school which celebrates good behavior. It has been a pleasure working with the staff, administrators, and students at Lewis.

Great teachers, who are aware of the multicultural aspects of teaching esl and immersion students.

Last modified Lewis (William C.) Dual Language Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.