Wilmington, DE

Ursuline Academy 5

Posted January 10, 2015
My daughter is a freshman at Barnard College at Columbia University who received straight A's in her 1st semester. I believe going to Ursuline was the best thing she ever did. She didn't start Ursuline until her sophomore year transferring from a public school where she felt students weren't serious about their studies or respectful of their teachers. At Ursuline my daughter was more of a loner but participated enough to succeed and feel part of the Ursuline community. I was recently proud that she chose to go to an alumni event at the school during her winter break to discuss college with members of the Ursuline senior class. I am divorced and didn't have any help with tuition from my daughter's father; however Ursuline worked with me and we received financial help from the school. The great counseling team was supportive and superior in helping my daughter apply to all the colleges and universities she wanted to (18!). Her teachers were patient and supportive with my daughter. My daughter is a self starter and was always on top of what was going on school. She wants to go into the medical field possibly as a doctor.

Ursuline Academy 2

Posted May 29, 2014
I have gone to Ursuline for 6 years now, I am currently in my Sophomore year. Over the summer I came to realize that Ursuline no longer cared about how well individual students preformed, it is all about the amount of scholarship opportunities they get in sr. year. I have ADHD, and while in lower and middle school, I got plenty of help. In my freshman year i felt i no longer needed the help from Ursuline, so I stopped asking for it. And this year (10th grade), I began to feel I needed it because of the class load, and I went to administration to ask how I should go about getting a tutor for my classes, and their response was something along the lines of 'That isn't our job.'. Many of our teachers have no respect for us students, I have been sick and in the hospital for three years now, and I never had a problem with making up work, and this year my teachers were so very uncooperative to help me out in any way. The English dept. hasn't held a position for more than two years in about 5 years, If i was to take the SAT English section, I am confident I would fail if I had not gotten extra help on my own. I have decided to leave Ursuline, because I still need assistance.

Ursuline Academy 1

Posted December 06, 2013
As an Ursuline grad, I can say Ursuline used to be a great school. Not anymore. Unless your child is perfect, uber organized, never forgets anything, & you, the mom, are driven to be the teachers' pet, then this school is not for you. They have forgotten that their students are still kids & are not perfect. Kids forget things, they make mistakes; everyone does. Ursuline does not allow for those mistakes. They have taken the idea of accountability & put it on steroids. You will not get sympathy or understanding. The curriculum is designed so the girls are buried under homework & have little to no time for outside activities, let alone time with family. And, That s okay. Ursuline needs to stop looking at SATs as the guideline for how & what to teach. Everyone has to take all the basics (& more) over again in college; why not teach the girls how to learn & to enjoy learning. I suggest Ursuline change its attitude. Start being a loving, welcoming, healthy environment again. Love the students, encourage them, & embrace their differences for real instead of just only on the website. These are all smart girls with wonderful potential. Why beat them down to teach them they are strong?

Ursuline Academy