Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The bullying behavior seems to be one of the biggest complaints about this school. This is from speaking with other parents, too. Nothing's changed.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

The "higher ups" such as the Head of School seem to have a better approach. It just doesn't seem to be translated to the teachers who are also leaders in their own right.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Behavior starts at home with parenting. However, I've never seen such unruly behavior in my life. There is a disconnect somewhere.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

They do communicate homework on a weekly basis. They will also send it via email. They will provide learning support such as suggestions. I do wish they offered some form of tutoring.

My child is currently attending Kuumba. My child always said they didn't like the school, but I brushed it off because it was their first year at the school. That is until I visited more frequently and saw for myself. I was amazed at how bad these kids were, for lack of a better word. I walked into the classroom, and it was completely unruly. Meanwhile, the teacher sat in the corner looking helpless. My child complained about bullying, the kids being out of control, and lack of supervision. All were true! Those were all the things I noticed when I started visiting the school more. This school does not foster a good learning environment. The one thing that I will give them credit for is open communication. I never had a problem with accessing teachers or staying on top of things. However, the staff is very young and inexperienced which may be why the classrooms can get crazy. The school also has a focus on the arts, but I believe that is neglecting the core course curriculum. Seems like they just put the kids and dance and call it arts, while there is no set curriculum or objectives for it. I don't even see how my child is benefiting from their so called focus on the arts. My child definitely will not attend this school ever again.

Since all the reviews are from 2013 I think I should give Parents and students alike a new perspective on what goes on in this treacherous school. I wish I could give it zero stars because in all honesty my time here was horrible. They kids here were just disgusting people who acted like they had no home training and were blatantly disrespectful in FRONT of the teacher. I have been to schools with bad kids but I would be ashamed to call some of those kids my own if I were their parents and saw what they were doing. There was this one teacher who never taught us anything and made us do these packets that we would use for notes on an OPEN BOOK TEST. She spent more time planning her wedding and talking on the phone or with colleagues. The there was another female teacher who screamed at you during every class because the student were just SO DISRESPECTFUL towards her.Nobody was actually engaged in class unless they were REWARDED to pay attention. The kids who didn't fit into what those kids thought were normal were bullied to such a harsh extent. Sometimes people who DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU. BULLIED YOU. Maybe it was because they didn't like your hair or your clothes when we had dress down day. The kids didn't even do there home work. They copied of the people who did and called it a day. You would get punished for having your phone out but 7 other kids were doing the same thing and NONE of them got in trouble. Special treatment was evident in this school. It was not given to the good kids the ones who were quiet, respectful and got good grades NOPE. It was given to the kids who were ignorant bullies too caught up in there own NONEXISTENT privilege and stupidity. They changed classes, schedules and teacher multiple times throughout the year Some teachers were trying to be FRIENDS not authority figures in this school. They make you take a dance class which is unnecessary and irrelevant especially to those who aren't good dancers or are focused more on academics then "specials" . You would think these "specials'' wouldn't matter EXCEPT for the fact that if you FAIL those "specials" you can get HELD BACK A GRADE.

Amount of homework: Disagree

KIds don't do it teachers don't care as long as it gets turned in. Therefore kids copy of the ones who are pushover and actually did there's.

My child will be entering Kuumba Charter in a couple of weeks for kindergarten. Kuumba offers a summer enrichment program. Not your ordinary summer camp. My child has learned sign language. Some core sight words and she has even gotten over her fear of swimming pools because of a beginners swimming program at the Y while she attended the summer enrichment program. She has also made some friends so I know that transition from summer camp to school will be smooth. I chose Kuumba because of their curriculum. They teach the whole child and their test scores throughout the state was great.

Kuumba Academy Charter School does a great job connecting with the students and have great activities to keep the children involved.

My twins attend this school. I absolutely love the interaction between teachers/parent and teachers/children. Strict focus on Math, Science and the Arts..

Last modified Kuumba Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.