Odyssey Charter School

Charter | K-6 | 702 students

Living in Wilmington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $86,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted June 3, 2014

This was our 1st year at Odyssey in grades 1 and 3. I can't say enough good things about this school. The staff is excellent and so very caring. The education is first class. I can't believe how much my daughters have excelled at this school. Its like getting a private education.

Posted June 3, 2014

Best school ever! Staff is amazing and the education is top notch. I could not ask for a better school for my children. It is very safe and caring environment and my children are happy everyday to go to this school

Posted May 21, 2014

Teachers are great! Parent involement is good. The principle in the upper school is a bit weak but very nice. The Assisant Principle in the Lower school is nice but can be condesending. There is no lunchroom. But the education is top notch...oh very rare dress down days. Uniforms can be quite pricey can only by from 2 places and must be emboarder. Used uniform sale can but items for $5 which is good. Education is very good though. Gym for little kids indoors and not uniforms. I have kids in the upper and lower school. School likes to issues demerits for every little thing. My kids teachers are both awesome...lots of work but we don't mind. Highs and lows in all school so i tried to give some of both.

Posted November 21, 2013

I am an advocate of Odyssey Charter School and have been for the past 6 years. I have watched our school grow from 230 kids to the 700 we have today. I have never witnessed nor could I fathom any of the staff using profanity towards our children in any circumstance. If this were true, did you report it to the headmaster? I can assure you, he would not tolerate such behavior!

Posted October 15, 2013

I really love the academics, and behavioral issues don't seem to be much of a problem. I was a little uneasy about the Greek at first, but now I really find it fascinating and valuable. The school does a fairly good job providing extracurricular activities -- chorus, band, Odyssey of the Mind, art club -- and we hear there will be sports in the spring. We are so excited about the school expanding, and we are extremely eager to hear about the new facility. The current facility (we're at the upper school) has no outdoor space and a very small, messy library full of piles of boxes. As much as we appreciate the outstanding quality of the teachers, previous reviewers are correct in saying that the administration is chaotic and some are rude to both parents and students. Communication from the school is not very good, and it takes a lot of work to get responses to questions. The lack of a cafeteria isn't an issue for us, although it concerns me that students requiring free or reduced-price lunch may be unable to attend the school. Overall, I like Odyssey, and I'm confident that the administration will strengthen and get more organized as the school evolves.

Posted September 18, 2013

While Odyssey offers a challenging curriculum and language program, their staff is lacking in experience. As a parent of 2 children in the school, one has EVERY need met and his I.E.P. team beyond meets what we were expecting once it was found our child had a learning disability. LOVE them. The , for lack of a better way to say it, "better than you, know it all" attitude some of the staff have is frustrating to deal with as a parent. If your child is not fitting the "odyssey" mold, what they think a 5 to 8yr old should be, you will be met with disdain, looked down on as a parent, made to feel less than by the administration and guidance counselors. Having been told one of my children should be medicated, suggested he had autism, adhd, add...was not only ILLEGAL (you are not Dr.'s, you are educators) it was insulting and they took it upon themselves to treat my child as if he had been diagnosed with these thing... upon taking him to A.I. they could not understand why a teacher and guidance counselor would say these things..he has NONE of them nor have we seen evidence at home of these disorders. 2 VERY different experiences with my children, within the same school system....sadly.

Posted September 12, 2013

This is our sons 4th year at OCS. It is a wonderful school.The teachers and staff are very helpful in getting the best education for your child.

Posted August 22, 2013

My grandson has attended odyssey for K thru 4th grade. I know he is safe there besides getting a good education. I do wish the Physical Ed more frequent (once a week isn't enough).

Posted May 17, 2013

Comparing class sizes and what other children are being taught at the other public schools, Odyssey is far superior to the other options that are available. Education is individualized to the students abilities and needs. A second language is taught every day as well as a 2nd period of math every day. My daughter's teacher is very involved and always there when I need her to ask questions or get feedback. I am eagerly awaiting their expansion into better facilities. Parents are highly encouraged to participate and there is an active PTO. Children bring their own lunches to school (which I happen to prefer). One of the best options for elementary public schooling in the state. Just look at the test scores!

Posted March 21, 2013

If you were lucky enough to attend Odyssey Charter School a few years ago, then you may remember its former glory. It continues to decline steadily as new administration was put in place. The teachers and leaders act entitled while treating the families as if they are second-class citizens. The "new" Odyssey Charter forgets that they are a PUBLIC school, funded by tax-payer dollars. If you want to join a school in a state of continued chaos, a Board that makes decisions in a bubble, and your children to ride overcrowded buses, then this is the place for you.

Posted November 25, 2012

This school is excellent. I attended for 3 years and my mom is european but not greek yet the greek teachers communicated with her very well. they are very helpful. i moved and was very open minded when looking for a school but every school i have attended after is not any where close to topping OCS. i would never regret attending OCS and having no cafeteria is not bad. If you think about it the school is giving you a private education for free so you should be able to provide a healthy, nutritous lunch for your child. My mom thinks it helps her to pack my lunch so she knows what i am eating. THIS SCHOOL IS TOP OF THE NOTCH!

Posted March 5, 2012

This our third year with the school and now with two children there. Very much love this small superior school. I am blessed to have won a place in the lottery for our our daughter. The best part - private education for public price!

Posted August 10, 2011

Great School and very challenging! Dedicated staff with unique curriculum. Very happy with the school!

Posted June 13, 2011

My son has attended Odyssey for 5 years now. I was fortunate enough to get him into this school the day it opened. I LOVE it. The teachers and principal are excellent and the curriculum is superior to others I have seen. He has received a private school education for free and I feel so very grateful for this. He has two maths each day. One taught in english and another in Greek. The comment about there being no cafeteria is true. However, I feel that my son has benefited from this. It is a more controlled environment in his room and I decide each day what he is having. They give the option for pizza fridays and I feel this provides some balance.

Posted June 5, 2011

This was our third year at OCS and we have had nothing but positive experiences. The teachers are outstanding and the staff is very involved in making sure each and every child is afforded every opportunity to excel.

Posted April 30, 2010

My duaghter is a third grader here and we love it. We moved here from out of state and felt so blessed to be able to get her into the school. The teachers and staff are wonderful and while some parents may think not having a cafeteria is bad, I think its great becasue I pack her a healthy lunch and know what she is eating..

Posted September 16, 2009

They have the Best Teaching Staff along with the Best School Staff and their level of education standard is outstandingly excellent!!!

Posted June 15, 2009

The school does not offer the student a cafeteria for healthy nutrious meals.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Delaware used the Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System (DCAS) to test students in English language arts and math in grades 3 through 10, in social studies in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5, 8 and 10. The DCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Delaware. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

There are not enough high schools in Delaware for GreatSchools to generate fair Ratings for high schools at this time.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Female88%

Not economically disadvantaged>=95%
Title I80%
Regular ed90%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Delaware Department of Education. If there are fewer than 15 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students92%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 13%N/A49%

Fax number
  • (302) 655-5761

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now