Home > Elementary School > Elementary School Community

What every parent/advocate needs to know!!!


sharie001 January 22, 2009

US Dept of Ed IEP Guide

PRIOR WRITTEN NOTICE (PWN) is a Powerful tool

Advocacy tips for parents">

Education Advocacy self-help

Advocates Corner">

Comparison of I.D.E.A. (Individuals w/ Disabilities Education Act), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, & A.D.A. (Americans w/ Disabilities Act)'comparison%20of%20IDEA%20504%20ADA'



No Child Left Behind


Office of Special Ed & Rehabilitation Services

Office of Special Ed Programs

Guide to US Dept of Ed Programs (490 pages)

Office for Civil Rights

Civil Rights of Students with Hidden Disabilities

How to File a Discrimination Complaint w/ the Office for Civil Rights This is basically education complaints under; IDEA, Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act, and ADA

Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.

Washington, D.C. 20202-1100

(202) 245-6800; 1-800-421-3481

FAX: (202) 245-6840; E-mail:

The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces several federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education (ED). Discrimination on the bases of race, color, and national origin is prohibited by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; sex discrimination is prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; discrimination on the basis of disability is prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Title II prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability by public entities, whether or not they receive federal financial assistance); and age discrimination is prohibited by the Age Discrimination Act of 1975.

These civil rights laws enforced by OCR extend to all state education agencies, elementary and secondary school systems, colleges and universities, vocational schools, proprietary schools, state vocational rehabilitation agencies, libraries, and museums that receive federal financial assistance from ED. Programs or activities that receive ED funds must provide aids, benefits, or services in a nondiscriminatory manner. Such aids, benefits, or services may include, but are not limited to: admissions, recruitment, financial aid, academic programs, student treatment and services, counseling and guidance, discipline, classroom assignment, grading, vocational education, recreation, physical education, athletics, housing, and employment.


Disability Simulation

This is how you can demonstrate to those "nonbelievers" the affects of your child's disability has on learning. This is a real eye opener, try it.

How parents can respond to comments/questions in IEP or other Meetings

Passing Grades, IQ Scores & Evaluations of Students with Learning Disabilities:

Wrights law - Tests and Measurements for the Parent, Teacher, Advocate & Attorney

Body Language (in general)

Body Language detecting lies

IEP Humor

Discussion Forums for Disabilities that affect learning and other problems

Parent Training and Info Centers and Community Parent Resource Centers

Click onto your region then it will show locations in your state. Each state is home to at least one parent center. Parent centers serve families of children and young adults from birth to age 22 with all disabilities: physical, cognitive, emotional, and learning. They help families obtain appropriate education and services for their children with disabilities; work to improve education results for all children; train and inform parents and professionals on a variety of topics; resolve problems between families and schools or other agencies; and connect children with disabilities to community resources that address their needs. They have advocates, and advisors free of charge at these Centers.

Special Education Technical Assistance and Dissemination Network


How do I receive an evaluation of my child?

There are at least two ways in which your child may be selected to receive an evaluation:

You may request that your child be evaluated. You can call or write to the Director of Special Education or the Principal of your child's school. If the school district suspects that your child has a disability, your child must be evaluated. If the school refuses to evaluate your child because it does not suspect that your child has a disability, you must be given a written notice of the refusal and a full explanation that explains the reasons for the refusal [Section 300.504(a)(2) and Section 300.505(a)(2)]. This notice must also give you a full explanation of the procedural safeguards available to parents under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, including your right to challenge the school district's refusal by requesting an impartial due process hearing [Section 300.505(a)(1)].

The school may initiate a request to evaluate your child. Based on a teacher's recommendation, or observations or results from tests given to all children in a particular grade, a school may recommend a child for further screening or assessment to determine if he or she needs special education and related services. If your child is thought to need further testing, the school must tell you. You, as a parent, must give written permission before the school can evaluate your child for the first time [Section 300.504(b)(1)].

It is important for you to know that the law requires that parents be notified in writing before the school district evaluates their child for the first time. All written communication from the school must be in a form that parents can understand (e.g., in their native language if they do not read English, or in the mode of communication normally used by the individual, such as Braille or large print). It must state the action that is proposed or refused; the reasons for the proposal or refusal; the evaluation procedures, tests, or records used to support the proposal or refusal; and an explanation of the parents' rights if they   should disagree with the suggested actions or refusal to act, as well as any other options the agency considered and the reasons why those options were rejected (Section 300.505). Parents must give their consent in writing before an initial evaluation can be conducted. It is important to know that school districts must have procedures by which they can override a parental refusal of consent, which they may use if they believe a child should be evaluated. These are discussed later in this News Digest.



Post a reply
Facebook  Digg 
There are no replies yet to this conversation. Be the first to post a reply!

Search Community