Spring Lake Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 680 students

Posted August 21, 2014

I agree with everything the last poster stated. The woman running the front desk is so rude and disrespectful. I'm so disgusted with it all right now that I'm looking into other options for my kid. The first place they should start cleaning house though is reception.

Posted May 29, 2014

This school needs some mayor cleaning house. Starting with the staff at the front desk! They are always rude and treat the students and parents with no respect at all. The level of communication between parents , teachers and saff is disgusting. The quality of teachers is very poor. There are very few that take pride in being a teacher. It really is a shame and I would never recommend this school to anyone! There is a reason why they are a C school !!! The entire front office staff needs to be Fired!!!

Posted April 28, 2014

This school consistently underperforms, and their standards continue to slide toward failing. Look at the test results. Look at the misspellings of the parent comments in these reviews. Draw your own conclusions based on the facts. I'd wager most of these recent positive reviews were staff-generated. Time to clean house. Top to bottom, this school is failing the children, and the community.

Posted April 27, 2014

I really love this school. The school principal is strict and wants every student to do great in their school and wants every student to do their best effort.The stuff are nice and try to help you the best they can! I give this school a 5 star

Posted April 24, 2014

Nice school, I loved it for my daughter 4th and 5th grade year. She did enjoy it as well. I recommend this elementary school to anyone, students are disciplined and teachers are interested in the students. Unlike, her high school Crooms Academy, which I do NOT recommend, due simply to the fact of their being so many troublemakers their, they have lead my daughter to drop out.

Posted May 30, 2013

I've now had two children, one boy and one girl, complete 6 years at Spring Lake, and I feel that over the years the school has continually done the best it can with the resources it's given. Demographics have changed with the changing economy, there's been a lot of construction nearby, and the school itself has been renovated, yet the staff continues to make due and tries to keep the kids focused. The gifted program is limited, but everything is limited... I wouldn't eat the school's lunch! Moreover, I have seen the "little things" that teachers here have done, things that they are not required to do and not paid to do, but they do anyway because it's who they are. I wish our tax base gave this school a sizable budget. Image what they could do then! Note that I give 5 stars for parental involvement because that indicates whether the SCHOOL does a good job with it. The parents here are not very involved. And a special shout out to Mr. Toth, the music teacher. He manages to engage the kids with so few resources. Everything I've ever seen him do is done right, from rehearsal schedules to music selection to the efficient manner in which he runs performances. Great job!

Posted March 30, 2013

I have a second grader and a first grader in this school and I think that their teachers are very good. I appreciate the fact that I am informed of my sons' progress. I also found it great that when my second grader was tested for being gifted and instead was found to be advanced, instead of keeping him on the same easy lesson planned, they offered him an opportunity to go to an advanced learning class throughout the week to push him. I have no complaints about this school and I am planning on sending my youngest to PK here next year.

Posted September 15, 2012

I would like to first off say my child loves going here and her teacher. It gets a little frustrating somedays with their rules/policies, but in the long run I do understand them. I do just ask that they supervise their safety patrol students more, it is a privilege and some of them abuse it. Lastly to the parent with the child that didn't eat, the make sure every child eats. All they do is send home a little yellow paper telling you there is a balance due. I purposely moved to this side of Altamonte to have my child in this school.

Posted August 13, 2012

I am still trying to figure out this school. I have just moved to this state and Spring Lake was the school choosen for my child. My child is 5 years old. I went to open house and registration and i was not told that my child had to bring money or her own lunch just to eat on the first day. My child went all day wwithout eating anything. She said she asked the lunch lady for some food and she told her no, that she should have came earlier. What kind of person turn a child down on food when they are hungry? What kind of school let a child sit in class without eating? Why they did not call me and say that she needed some food? It is hard for anyone to concentrate when they are hungry. I still have mixed reviews on this school. NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND my child was left out

Posted April 25, 2012

disappointed over lack of communication from my son's teacher. Problem brought to the attention of the principal, vice principal and guidance. This year has been a waste of time for my son. He is special ed and I felt that he should have been moved to another class room. As a parent we should have the choice of which school to send our children but the so called school choice program is not honored by seminole county. I do not recommend this school to any parent.

Posted October 20, 2011

As hopeful as I was enrolling my second grader to this school it has been much to my dissappointment. This school has a SERIOUS lack of communication problem. If this school is a great as some have indicated I certainly have yet to see it. Their website is pittiful and not always up to date. The teachers sites are poorly maintained. At best this school is mediocre which is very dissappointing after all the hype of "Seminole Public Schools being better than most other Counties" . Wake up Seminole here is a dud. Now my childs last school was lead very well, and had passionate and caring teachers, an awesone and ACTIVE PTA with tons of activities all year long. Communication was received daily about my childs progress or school events, class events etc.. The kids took pride in their school and in themselves. Not only were the kids pushed academically but in all areas of responsibility. We miss it VERY much!

Posted May 27, 2010

My daughter came to this school in 1st grade, as the year went on my husband and I were more and more disappointed with the overall education and academics at this school. She thankfully had a great teacher who helped her excel in her reading, but as far as everything else..it was very disappointing. They don't teach proper handwriting, the don't have a good music class or PE class, they didn't have any type of recognition for the kids throughout the year such as awards or ceremonies. I'm so glad my daughter will not be attending this school next year!

Posted September 4, 2009

My son love it and i feel very safe in taking my son there.

Posted May 3, 2009

I think my kid is very hapy 2 be in spring lake and he has a nice teacher named ms.moore! KKK

Posted March 23, 2009

I have had 2 and then 3 children attending this school in the last 3 years. I feel that the new principal has let school performance drop and I've been told by my 4th and 5th graders that the students do not respect the principal. There have been incidents at the school that have given me pause and going from an A to a B school has not given me confidence in the new leadership of the school. As such, we are moving into a better school district.

Posted November 10, 2006

My daughter's 1st grade teacher (Ms. Hartsfield) was excellent. Her other teachers have been mediocre. There seems to be a lot of underlying hostility among staff at this school. Parent involvement is low as parents are not really encouraged to be around. The lunchroom situation last year was unbelievable. I haven't been to the cafeteria this year to see if things have changed.

Posted July 10, 2006

My son attends the school. I feel it depends on the teacher. I also worked in the school and there is a lot of issues with the teachers and the principle.

Posted June 29, 2006

My son went to Spring Lake from k-5 and had great teachers all years. I just wish he had a better principal, one who showed better leadership and was more caring for the students. The support staff was also awesome. We hope the teachers are as good in middle school.

Posted May 8, 2006

The teacher in the beginning of the year was very attentive and checked their homework. However since the beginnig of January the teacher has not shown interest anymore in teachinng. I believe the amount of students in a class could sometimes be overwellming. Principal needs to get more involved with teachers and families not just at PTA meetings. This school also lacks a lot of extracurricular activities and sportsmanship.

Posted May 8, 2006

My son is in 2nd grade at Spring Lake Elementary and we love the school! We have been very fortunate to have had some wonderful teachers who really care about the kids and enjoy teaching. We had considered sending my son to private school, but after talking with other parents and a few meetings at the school, we chose Spring Lake. The quality of education at the school is excellent. The school is an 'A' school and receives a lot of extra benefits due to Title 1 funding. The guidance staff is exceptional, as is the secretary, Pat Hauza. It is very easy for does a wonderful job and is always welcoming new members. The dividend program is great and is a wonderful way to help out. The library is very impressive, as are the librarians. Dr. Schmook is an excellent principal and the school is very well run.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

132 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

104 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. NOMIE KUNIAK
Fax number
  • (407) 746-1699

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now