808 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son has ADHD, Learning disability and speech disability. He was in a charter school in Kindergarten and 1sr grade and nobody wanted to help my son even they had an order for his doctor. They did not have the source to do it. I transferred him to Essrig Elementary and all teacher were complaining all the time about him instead of looking the way to help. They were calling almost everyday and his primary teacher asked for moved him to another class. I transferred him again to Doby Elementary; I have never received any call from them to put a complaint, they called somtimes to tell me wonderful things about him and they also told me that I was doing a awesome job!! He had 4 different teachers who helped him to succeed and now he knows to write and read! HisLas evaluation for the learning disability exceed the average grade for kids without disabilities and now his self-esteem is great!!! I really love so much Doby and is the best school I could find. I know God is with me all the time helping and He helped to find whis awesome school which really care about their students!!! Thank you so much Doby!!!!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Yes! They really care about his students and they want them to succeed. I'm so glad to found this school and bring to my kids a good environment

This is a terrible school, My daughter hates it here,she is a good kid and always gets green,but the teacher she has clearly does not care about the well being of the student, however,the reading teacher is great, that's the only positive thing I can say about the school. The gym teacher is a bully, I was appauled to see that he slammed the gate in her face,while other kids were watching,terrible example .

Great school! Clean, organized, and my daughters first year there went very well. She learned allot and I am very pleased she will be returning for first grade.it

Doby Elementary is a good school in my opinion. My child had some behavior issues early on, and I felt that they dealt with it as well as they could have within the rules and guidelines. Parents have to understand that public education is not particularly well equipped for children with special needs. My only wish is that something could be done about the drop off/pickup wait line, but I understand the restrictions. This school was a choice for us (no bus transportation provided). The traffic issue isn't specific to this school. As more and more parents choose to drop off/pick up children these days, these schools that were designed based on earlier statistics just cannot accommodate the excessive car traffic during drop off/pick up times. My other child will start Kindergarten here in the fall of 2014, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this school to others parents. Just be prepared to wait in line for drop off in the morning, or get them there right at 7:30 when they start to take drop offs.

I am actually stretching it with two stars. More like 1 1/2. My son's experiences there have been awful. He was bullied by a teacher and after numerous conferences and calls, there was no other resolution available but to move him to a new class. I was told by administration that their hands were tied with this teacher because he was in his final year before retirement. And I use the term administration loosely. We have been a Doby family for a little over a year now and have only seen the Principal twice. The AP is who has been the most helpful. The only shining star in this is that my daughter has truly enjoyed the music program led by Mr. V and his assistant.

My 2nd grader just started as a new student at Doby and so far she loves her teacher and the school. I am thankful for Choice, the assigned school that my daughter attended last year is a D school. We are new to the Ruskin/Apollo Beach area. I am happy she got into an A rated school. The only issue that I have with Doby is the drop off/pick up it takes over 30+ minutes to get to the front of the line. Hopefully as the school goes on it will get better.

My daughter transfered to this school in April...we just moved to here from KY in feb...from feb to the end of may she went to a school in Tamp which was horrible..omg I don't reccomend even speaking of that school...but DOBY was AWESOME..!!! They welcomed my daughter with open arms...she is ready to start 2nd grade at Doby and I'm just as excited!!! The teachers and staff were excellent....

We wish the principal would be more active with the kids. She is always in the main office instead of being outside greeting kids and parents. She hardly ever attends the kids awards ceremonies and instead puts her assistant principal to be out there with the parents. However, our kids love the school. Our son had never shown any interest in Music. Thanks to Mr. V, he can now play the electric guitar and keyboard. They have also shown him many other instruments. He loves PE and the coach is very active with the kids. The computer access at every classroom is great. Our kids have been shown how to do Microsoft Power Point presentations and I didn't even know. Most of the teachers are active with email communication with parents. We did have a case when our daughter was bullied in the playard. We went to the teacher and talked directly to the principal. The matter was investigated and properly handled. Our other kid had issues with the FACT and were notified a bit later in the year. However, thanks to our involvement he was retested and properly passed with the aggressive state regulation on the fcat from last year. Our son's Math teacher has a master's in Math!

I must say that I'm surprised by these negative comments about Doby. I think that this school is amazing and have nothing but positive things to say. I think that the staff is always friendly and I've never had an issue with any of my kids teachers. There have been times when my children were confused with homework and I went to their teacher and explained to them what was going on and they helped my child until they understood(also material was sent home for them to practice and study with, along with some websites that they can use to help study) I have 3 children,two which have already graduated from Doby and one that still and I'm forever grateful for all the staff who have been there to prepare my children for the future. My children and I are very proud to have been and to be a Doby Navigator!!!

Last modified Doby Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.