Apollo Beach, FL

Posted July 11, 2014
Great school! Clean, organized, and my daughters first year there went very well. She learned allot and I am very pleased she will be returning for first grade.it

Posted April 21, 2014
Doby Elementary is a good school in my opinion. My child had some behavior issues early on, and I felt that they dealt with it as well as they could have within the rules and guidelines. Parents have to understand that public education is not particularly well equipped for children with special needs. My only wish is that something could be done about the drop off/pickup wait line, but I understand the restrictions. This school was a choice for us (no bus transportation provided). The traffic issue isn't specific to this school. As more and more parents choose to drop off/pick up children these days, these schools that were designed based on earlier statistics just cannot accommodate the excessive car traffic during drop off/pick up times. My other child will start Kindergarten here in the fall of 2014, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this school to others parents. Just be prepared to wait in line for drop off in the morning, or get them there right at 7:30 when they start to take drop offs.

Doby Elementary School 2

Posted February 04, 2014
I am actually stretching it with two stars. More like 1 1/2. My son's experiences there have been awful. He was bullied by a teacher and after numerous conferences and calls, there was no other resolution available but to move him to a new class. I was told by administration that their hands were tied with this teacher because he was in his final year before retirement. And I use the term administration loosely. We have been a Doby family for a little over a year now and have only seen the Principal twice. The AP is who has been the most helpful. The only shining star in this is that my daughter has truly enjoyed the music program led by Mr. V and his assistant.

Posted August 22, 2013
My 2nd grader just started as a new student at Doby and so far she loves her teacher and the school. I am thankful for Choice, the assigned school that my daughter attended last year is a D school. We are new to the Ruskin/Apollo Beach area. I am happy she got into an A rated school. The only issue that I have with Doby is the drop off/pick up it takes over 30+ minutes to get to the front of the line. Hopefully as the school goes on it will get better.

Posted May 11, 2013
We wish the principal would be more active with the kids. She is always in the main office instead of being outside greeting kids and parents. She hardly ever attends the kids awards ceremonies and instead puts her assistant principal to be out there with the parents. However, our kids love the school. Our son had never shown any interest in Music. Thanks to Mr. V, he can now play the electric guitar and keyboard. They have also shown him many other instruments. He loves PE and the coach is very active with the kids. The computer access at every classroom is great. Our kids have been shown how to do Microsoft Power Point presentations and I didn't even know. Most of the teachers are active with email communication with parents. We did have a case when our daughter was bullied in the playard. We went to the teacher and talked directly to the principal. The matter was investigated and properly handled. Our other kid had issues with the FACT and were notified a bit later in the year. However, thanks to our involvement he was retested and properly passed with the aggressive state regulation on the fcat from last year. Our son's Math teacher has a master's in Math!

Posted February 10, 2012
I must say that I'm surprised by these negative comments about Doby. I think that this school is amazing and have nothing but positive things to say. I think that the staff is always friendly and I've never had an issue with any of my kids teachers. There have been times when my children were confused with homework and I went to their teacher and explained to them what was going on and they helped my child until they understood(also material was sent home for them to practice and study with, along with some websites that they can use to help study) I have 3 children,two which have already graduated from Doby and one that still and I'm forever grateful for all the staff who have been there to prepare my children for the future. My children and I are very proud to have been and to be a Doby Navigator!!!

Posted February 10, 2012
I am very happy with this school. My daughter is a bright child who wears a hearing aid and uses an FM system. I am a very active participant in my childs education. I am extremely pleased with the relationship I have developed with my daughter's teachers, guidance councelor, and administration. I think parents need to address any concerns they have and they will be pleased with how this school addresses them. I was concerned because my daughter was bored with the math, she wasn't fully utilizing her FM system, and at the beginning of the year she was bullied. I am very happy to say that as soon as I communicated with the school my concerns they were all addressed. This is a wonderful school.

Doby Elementary School 1

Posted February 09, 2012
It just now hit me! My 2 son's attend this school and I just realized that this school does not send home school books for the students to continue or understand what they've learned throughout the day/week/year. One of my sons was not doing so well in a particular subject, which was noted by the teacher. I now ask myself, how can I help him get better and understand the subject if I don't have the material to teach him. I don't believe anyone can just study from a piece of paper sent home. I asked him about taking notes in class and he says they don't. I feel this school system and maybe others in HC are just teaching to this FCAT test and don't care about understanding the material. I wouldn't care if my boys received books from 1990, because the underlying message didn't change...A noun is still a noun, 2+2=4 and the Earth is still round. No science, math or english books to send home, but my son is doing bad in a subject and can't figure it out. Help me, help these teachers. Where does all the money this school raises go to? Benches so you can eat outside. No field trips to Nature parks, no museums visits....Florida's future, huh!!

Doby Elementary School 3

Posted June 10, 2011
This school is not one that i would say i would put my kid in. My son went there for K & 1st grade and I'm pulling him out. They allow kids to bully other kids & award them for it. The teachers here have there favorite students. So make sure u get good with their teacher. There is 1 lady in the office that is very rude. (data processor)

Posted October 13, 2010
It's a beautiful school, super clean and organized, I feel my kids are more than safe at the school. Everybody is super nice and understandable. I am proud that I have choosen this school.

Doby Elementary School
6720 Covington Garden Drive, Apollo Beach, FL  33572
Last modified Doby Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Doby Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top