Mayport Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 381 students

Posted June 22, 2014

My child started Kindergarten here last year and I thought her teacher, Ms. Haines, was extremely organized and helpful. The classroom itself was very organized, clean and distraction free. My child moved along nicely and I could see her progress over the year to prepare her for the next grade. As a Kindergartener, she went on a dozen field trips as well! I was very satisfied with the school overall. They had a few events, like Family night and Sea Dads throughout the year to keep parents and children involved in the school. They sent home a weekly newsletter with important dates and reminders. They have an excellent media center, a coastal science room with an aquarium and touch tank, art, music and P.E. which all focus around coastal sciences. My only issue was that there is no recess. They went out, I believe once a week rather than at least once a day. I drove from base housing at NS Mayport to this school everyday (~5 minutes one way) for a whole year and I do not regret my decision to drive the extra distance to take her there. From my experience, I really like this school and would recommend it to anyone.

Posted April 19, 2014

I live in Texas before but because my husband job i had to move to JAX .I felt very concern that i wanted to find a great school for my son and mayport elementary throughout this year my child been there i do not regret my choice very good school in everything. It was awesome to have my child here he really enjoy this year know he have a lot of friend and he dont miss Texas .

Posted March 14, 2014

We searched long and hard to make sure we picked the right school for our child. We pondered on whether to send him private school or if there was a magnet school option that would fit his learning needs. We have been at Mayport for 2 years now. The first week of Kindergarten I walked into the Principal's office expressing some concerns I had. She very quickly addressed them. The teachers, staff and Principal are all very involved in our child's safety and learning experience. I truly believe they are there because they love their job. I can see the joy my son has when he comes home from school each day with the new things he has learned. They keep the parents informed on a regular basis with phone calls about upcoming events and weekly flyers. They have also been offering breakout sessions for us to learn more about other things like bullying or common core. We are truly happy with the choice we made.

Posted February 11, 2014

I like the fact that our school offers programs for us on how to help enrich our children and help them to become great leaders of our world. My children have done very well and succeded in so many ways. We have great people that work here and continue to strive to get our students where they want to go or be. There is no price on what they offer. I am proud to say I am a Mayport Elementary Parent and Volunteer. Please keep up the Good work.. We love our school.

Posted September 26, 2013

Mayport Coastal Sciences Elementary Acadamy is our school & we are PROUD to say that. We had our daughter come over in 5th grade with the Magnet Program a7 ended up with straight A's. This year we have a daughter in 1st grade plus kindergarten last year. An EXCELLENT school to have our children in,,

Posted January 23, 2013

I'm a former student from Mayport, I was there from Kindergarten to 4th grade when I was transferred to Washington State. Admittedly, Mayport is probably the best school I went to. My experience with the staff had been amazing, but as I read more, it's disappointing to see how long it has fallen.

Posted June 24, 2012

My child attended Kindergarten at Mayport Elementary. Being a military family it was hard for me moving here and not knowing what the schools were like but I hoped for the best and tried to make the best of it. My child was placed with a teacher that did not care to do her job she did not supervise the children and bullying was a huge issue for us my child lost interest in school and dreaded going to school everyday. I requested a move to another class and his new teacher was a godsend! She met with me and discussed how I can help his progress at home gave me tools to help get him where he should be academically and she really put forth effort to help each child individually which is very hard to do! By far best teacher in that school! My child was reading and writing and loved his new teacher! I do not recommend this school because it doesn't offer any programs, it has a foul smell when you walk in and the staff in my opinion lacks professionalism in their dress and the way they address us parents. Thank God for the magnet programs in FL my child will have the opportunity to attend an "a" school next year with great programs and a lot of teacher/parent/ community involvement.

Posted December 15, 2011

We were new to the area and of course I did a review on the school and I was pretty nervous about my children going here, but apparently this year they have a new principal and they are a Coastal Science magnet school and I absolutely love the school. My children are happy, they are learning a lot and doing very well and they absolutely love learning about the coastal sciences. I never once heard either one of my kids say that they didn't want to go to school, in fact, they get upset if they have to miss school because they are too sick to go. I am very happy with how they run things, I feel that my children are secure and safe, and from what I was told of the school before, I think they definitely stepped it up.

Posted August 30, 2011

This school was pretty good. My son was lucky to get an amazing teacher and that really helped his experience there. But overall it's a pretty average school with nothing special to offer.

Posted June 27, 2011

From what I see the school has been on a downward spiral over the past three years by looking at the test scores.

Posted April 29, 2010

Mayport Elementary strives and does the best they can everyday to ensure that the families and the community is provided top notch education. The staff is remarkable and caring! They have a long history of supporting our troops and the military base which is wonderful especially since this is a military town. I am thankful and very appreciative to Mayport Elementary for all their efforts and I take my hat off to them for a job well done!!!

Posted April 21, 2010

My daughter is in her second year at Mayport. While we have been very lucky to have 2 fantastic teachers, the rest of the staff and teachers are very poor. I am constantly witnessing teachers screaming and yelling at the children. Most of the teachers are not warm and caring but cold and unwelcoming. The principal is also very cold. She does not seem to know how to relate to young children and speaks to them as if they were robots. My daughter nor my son entering Kindergarten will not be attending this school next year.

Posted March 22, 2010

My son goes there and I am very happy and satisfied with his teachers and all the staff I've come in contact with. I am very grateful for the teachers he has that have helped him so much.

Posted December 4, 2008

This school has been very supportive of my children and my family! My son, a fourth grader, is excelling in every subject. My daughter, a first grader, adores her teacher and the rest of the staff. They really feel like they are part of a huge family! Thank you Mayport!

Posted August 18, 2008

There is a new principal at the school who is welcoming and inviting to parents, smart about the academic work and and clearly has a heart for kids. She has only been there since July but has already made some great visual changes and has challenged the teachers by making them step into the world of Web 2.0. She has also taken back the PTA, which for a while was being run by a limited few 'over bearing' parents who think that they have the right to push people around; this will give the rest of us a chance to be a part of this 'learning community.' I wish her all of the luck in the world and just know that she is going to do GREAT! She has a blog which you can check out (as do all of her teachers) at: http://duvalimagineer.blogspot.com/the school's website is: http://www.duvalschools.org/mayport/

Posted July 21, 2008

I went to this school. The teachers are great and I learned a lot.The principal wasnt so great. I know that there are a lot of bad reviews about her but shes retiring. She was to concerned about the childrens safety cause she didnt like the location. Thats why the fence is there. I would recommend this school for any one that wanted to be able to work at their own pace and have great teachers. The people in the clinic and front desk are great to.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 10, 2008

The principal at this school is by far the worst one I have to deal with. The school as a whole doesn't really care for the children's education, if you have the opportunity to have your kids go else where by all means jump on it

Posted May 5, 2008

I have 3 boys going to this school. I was worried at first because I heard bad things. My boys having been going here for two years now. They make straight A's. Teachers are great and love the principle. They care alot about their students and what happens to them. Great School. I will recommend anyone.

Posted November 29, 2007

I absolutely love this school! I became a volunteer with the school the year before (2006) my daughter started kindergarten here. All of the staff were receptive and apprectiative of me volunteering, which in my opinion says a lot about the openness and foundation of the school. Since my daughter has started kindergarten this year her teacher has been wonderful, helping her and guiding her along the way so that she would be fully prepared for 1st grade. I highly recommend this school!

Posted October 1, 2007

I have had the pleasure of being part of the Mayport Elementary parent community for 9 years with my 3 children. As a Navy mom I am sorry that more military families have not taken advantage of this school and because of this we have lost a lot of great teachers due to low enrollment.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

52 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

58 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom