Posted October 29, 2012
We continue to be impressed by this outstanding school. The staff is wonderful and attentive to the needs of the students. They are constantly striving to improve the grades and social interaction of the children. We are really enjoying the relatively new principal, Mr. Dew, and love how he is eager to listen to the concerns of us parents. Finegan is the best elementary we have had and thankful to have our children in attendance there.

Posted May 27, 2012
This school hasn't always had the best repetition in the past but it has definitely come a long way!! This is our last year here and I can honestly say that we were treated like family. My son started coming to Finigan for speech with Mrs. Garrett before he was even in school and at that time he was very shy, but she was very patient with him and because of her, I truly believe he has come to love school. This is one school that not only encourages volunteers, but celebrates them. At the end of the year, the teachers provide a volunteer breakfast to say thank you to everyone who has helped out!! So if you are able to volunteer, I highly encourage you to. I am going to miss this school and I know that I will never find another like it!!

Posted January 31, 2011
This was a great school for our two kids to attend. Our youngest was having issues with reading but by the end of the year had caught up, her teacher was incredible and patient. Our oldest child's teacher had actually been at the overseas school they went to for a few years and knew the system so she was able to push him in the areas he needed pushing to get into advanced classes for Grade 6 at middle school. Definitely recommended especially for military families.

Posted January 24, 2011
THE best public school in Jacksonville! Small class sizes, a great principal and office staff and wonderful teachers! They understand the military way of life and have been a fabulous place for all three of our children.

Posted January 14, 2011
It is comforting to know that Finegan Elementary not only adores my chiild, but also the military. Many of the staff have been a part of the military life. They understand what your child is going through with transitions, deployments, other struggles of military life. Our experience with the Fourth and Fifth Grade Teams have been outstanding. They have looked at him as an individual and worked on his learning potential. I know teachers from other schools come in to observe and get guidance from many of Finegan's teachers. That is a good feeling knowing your child's teacher is well respected by not only at Finegan, but other schools in the district.

Posted January 13, 2011
This school was my child's 3rd school in as many years. She struggled a bit coming in, but the teachers truly cared about her progress and worked with her and me to ensure that she got everything she needed. She has now gone from making all c's to a-b honor roll. I love volunteering at Finegan and seeing what wonderful things they are doing for my child and all the children at NS Mayport and the beaches areas.

Joseph Finegan Elementary School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
Great school, caring staff, and Gabe's first school.

Posted July 19, 2009
I have had experience with Finegan Elementary with 2 of my children. I have not found another school in this area that knows the needs of a military child both emotionally and academically. The teachers and staff are great. I have spent many days at the school, and I am impressed each and every time.

Joseph Finegan Elementary School 1

Posted May 27, 2009
As a military family with children attending Finegan for the past 3 years, I am glad we are transferring. Otherwise, I would pull them out. The front office staff is known for being unfriendly and unhelpful, the principal placates parents but has no follow through (not an honest bone in his body), information for upcoming events is routinely not sent home until a day or two prior, the guidance counsellor is unreliable at best, etc. A few of the teachers are wonderful, but that is really all the school has going for it. Several military families are considering pulling their children out after experiencing Finegan, and many already have.

Posted April 30, 2009
My daughter is about to finish up her first year in school, and I am amazed at the amount of time the teachers and staff put into the development of our children. Safety and courtesy is top notch and for a military child school, they are amazing! P.S. Ms. Donlyn is my daughters teacher, I would recommend her to anyone :)

Joseph Finegan Elementary School
555 Wonderwood Drive, Atlantic Beach, FL  32233
Last modified Joseph Finegan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joseph Finegan Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top