Bartow, FL

Floral Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted September 10, 2012
Hello, I am Sheila Dyer, the current principal at Floral Avenue Elementary. I have been the principal at Floral for the past six years. We are a community school with school grades of A and B for the past several years. We are focused on ensuring that all students are making learning gains. Floral Avenue Elementary School has been a Positive Behavior Support Model School since 2007. We strive to model and teach appropriate behavior expectations for school and life. We offer a balanced curriculum based on Next Generation Standards with a transition to Common Core Standards. Our students participate in weekly art, music, and PE in addition to their academic subjects. We have Smartboard and Document Camera technology in all of our main classrooms. Our next family involvement event is our Open House on 9/18/12 at 6:00 P.M. We welcome any approved parent or community volunteers in our classrooms and to mentor students. Please don t hesitate to call me if I can help in any way. 863-534-7420 Sheila Dyer Principal Floral Avenue Elementary

Posted February 19, 2012
If you love your child, do not send them here. I attended Floral Avenue for my Kindergarten, First, and Third grade years. The experience was traumatizing and it is my belief that my years there are a culprit in my development of Borderline Personality Disorder, Severe Anxiety Disorder and accompanying Social Anxiety, and Depression. The teachers are cruel and spiteful, they are there to earn a paycheck and do not understand the social and emotional needs of children. I was severely bullied AT THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF MY TEACHERS TO THE OTHER CHILDREN, who were instructed to belittle and ostracize me. I was treated as subhuman and the result is that I have severe social issues that cripple my ability to function in public situations, including work. I qualified as a gifted student but received no encouragement or challenging material. Now, I agree it has been just over ten years since I attended, but the same teachers remain and my sister's friends inform me that they, too are frightened and uncomfortable in the FAE environment. Please, for your child's sake, send them somewhere, anywhere else.

Posted December 02, 2011
I agree with the negative statements about this school. They are so worried about their dress code that education seems to come second. But for some reason, the dress code is only strictly enforced to certain children. I received a call from the school one day because my daughter's "shorts were too short" (which they were not). I had to take her new shorts to wear. The next day I was at the school for an awards ceremony. One of her fellow classmates was wearing shorts so short, they could not be seen under her sweater she was wearing. I just couldnt believe that was acceptable, but my daughter was humiliated in front of everyone for shorts that were perfectly acceptable to wear, and this other girl was allowed to walk around in daisy dukes! And this is just one of the many problems we had with this horrible school and their staff. As proof of how bad this school is, we received a letter from the school board saying we had the right to switch schools the following year because Floral ranked so poorly.

Posted July 05, 2011
I really dislike this school...My daughter attend this school for kindergarten and had a kid picking on her nothing was done til i continued meeting with teacher and complaining got to point where they spit her face and she will come hone crying teacher never advise me of situation. Noone is friendly.... Oh and most important teachers SCREAM at all children...

Posted May 11, 2011
The responses that are positive must be teachers. This is THE WORSE SCHOOL. Teacher's do not encourage parent involvement and are LAZY. The women in the front office are extremely rude, and problems at the school are handled inappropriatley. If you truly want your children educated send them else where.

Floral Avenue Elementary School 5

Posted April 17, 2011
There is no other school I would send my children, the staff is friendly, helpful and professional. The teachers are wonderful. The principal's are involved at every turn...and this includes seeing them at events after school. My children's homework sent home, has already been gone over at school. Because of moving and such, my children have tried every Elementary in Bartow, and Floral Avenue is the best. I volunteer all the time, in all schools my children attend and always have been encouraged to do so. I am perplexed at any other statement other than wonderful for this school. My son also has been involved in chess, and chorus, which the teachers both have spent endless hours on their time to making these extra activities one of the high points of his life. My daughter has picture progress reports for their points in reading, that's got to take some time just to put together, which is exceeding the standards, beyond from all other schools.

Posted January 10, 2011
This school is a mess. We were new to the district last year, and there were no attempts to make us feel welcome. Parental involvement is pretty much non-existant because the school makes it difficult for parents. We came from an out-of-state school where parents were encouraged to volunteer and be a part of their children's education. As far as parent/teacher communication; there is none. My kindergartener has had repeated problems with a fellow student picking on her since the beginning of the school year, and nothing has been done yet. We are fortunately moving to another school district in April just to get my children out of this horrible district. And on top of it all, the woman in the front office whom I'm assuming is the secretary(none of the staff have ever actually been introduced to us) is so rude and unfriendly. I will give credit however to the school nurse; she has been very good to my children. On a last note; don't expect your children to be taught at school. They are sent home with homework that the teachers have yet to teach them and so is the resonsibility of the parents.

Posted September 11, 2010
Floral needs to work on the friendliness to parents and their children. I am very dissappointed in this school. I can only hope they make changes.

Floral Avenue Elementary School 5

Posted April 20, 2009
This school is great! All three of my sons have gone to this school and are doing great! The teacher's, staff, and principal are wonderful. Next fall my daughter will begin Kindergarten, there is no where else I would send her but Floral Avenue!

Posted November 06, 2008
My grandchild started kindergarten at Floral. We have two local teachers in the family. We are used to being involved in our children's activities at school. We have found Floral to be very un-parent friendly and unwilling to allow us to volunteer at the school. It has been a very disappointing start compared to the involvement we have had with other schools in Polk County.

Floral Avenue Elementary School
1530 South Floral Avenue, Bartow, FL  33830
Last modified Floral Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Floral Avenue Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top