Public charter
Boca Raton, FL

Posted April 16, 2015
Unsatisfactory in-class teaching requires parents to compensate curriculum with tutoring and massive homework. While each student should have on average 10 minutes of homework per grade level, on occasions my child will get 4 to 5 hours worth of homework, requiring parent s follow up. Everyone at Somerset Academy is extremely competitive and bullying between children not taken seriously by the administration. The school is extremely aggressive with fund raising activities; if you do not meet the school s expectations in donations, your children could be subject to retaliation. Retaliation would include the teacher ignoring your child s homework in order to lower his/her grades and possibly fail him/her. The school will spam you with an overwhelming number of email and print material almost every day. As evidenced by parent s ratings on this page, there are only two types of parents: Those who have time, money and energy to spend with the school, who are intimately engaged in the PTA and rank the school high. And those whose who are overwhelmed, heartbroken, and would not recommend it.

Posted April 09, 2015
Find this school to be below average in terms of "meeting the needs of students." But since I can't afford private I am stuck. Charter schools are supposed to be different from regular public. This school is the same old story. Sad that another parent feels that an expensive uniform is more important than the student's education. Uniforms should not be required in the first place for a "free public" school. Making the uniform company money should not be important. Also, maybe the parent has to work unlike some of the "entitled parents" at the school and was running late. Maybe the parent could not afford the expensive aftercare program that costs more than every other Somerset school in the district. As for the teachers helping students that depends on the teacher. One of my child's teachers was helpful while the other did not respond to emails and could care less. So parents need to focus on their own situation instead of others. Also, why is the school charging for dress down day. To charge a student to wear their own clothes is sad and pathetic. There are more appropriate fundraisers.

Posted March 14, 2015
Our child started off life a bit to early and by pre-k it seemed as though we might have an issue keeping our child at grade level. We found Somerset through a friends recommendation, after talking about how disappointing the Delray Beach schools were. So when I say this school made a difference, it made a huge difference just being an option. For starters Principal May is the most visible and committed principals we have ever seen. Our child's Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Labbad and she was awesome. Not only is she great we the kids but she took the time to help us get our child from a needs improvement to ahead of the curve. By first grade, Mrs. Dowd just improved on everything. The proof was in the report card, our child earned straight A's and we couldn't be happier. Our biggest challenge in moving to a new city has been finding a school public or private that measures up to Somerset. That being said this isn't a school for lazy parents so: pick up your kids on time, support the teachers, the school and get the proper uniforms. The money we spent on support for the year was a pittance when compared to a private school up here for a single month. We miss Somerset.

Posted January 24, 2015
This school is far from amazing. What is amazing is my child who deserved better than this school. There is alot of great talk & promises that are non-existent. The best description of this school is that it looks like a shiny, red, juicy apple but when you bite into it its actually rotten to the core and contains a worm or two. What further amazes me is how this school is does not have supplies, space, or equipment. Science? What Science? What amazes me is how some of the test scores are below the state average but the principal is delusional enough to think this is amazing. What amazed me was the teacher that "did not have time" to do her job and was nasty, unprofessional, self-centered, and egotistical. What amazed me was the front office worker who was too lazy to get off her behind to walk a child to class. What amazed me was the costs of supplies, uniforms, and etc. What amazed me the most was the parenting tips coming from a teacher and principal that don't have children of their own but are somehow so offended if questioned about their methods. Yes, all of that is amazing. And yes this is my opinion that I am entitled to since my tax dollars are being used.

Posted January 07, 2015
This is a great school for children between K-2nd grade. By 3rd grade kids need more enrichment, they need more hands on education, more space which the schools severely lacks, sports, less busy homework and more knowledge. No Gym/PE area. Extremely small cafeteria. This is supposed to be a Science charter school however the only Science the kids do is once a year for the annual science fair. No lab or science teacher. Art/Music/Computer are ALL in the same classroom. The "library"has no more than 100 books and is only open for a limited amount of time. The school is constantly doing fundraisers but I don't see any improvement or how the money is being used. The class sizes are 20-23 in very small classrooms. All the enrichment programs are fee based. The after school is a complete mess. The kids are unable to do homework during after care because they are stuck in the cafeteria where is extremely loud. There's two aftercare employees that are young and lack experience, unable to help kids with the homework, always on their phone and never paying attention to the children. You can go there during after school hours and find kids running around every where around campus.

Somerset Academy Boca East 4

Posted December 03, 2014
Somerset has been around 3 years. Yes, the school is still improving. I have an exceptionally smart child and his teacher does provide him with enrichment. Yes, I agree, the school should have a science lab and more equipment. I also believe we will keep improving an already amazing school. People have the right to hear your opinion. I hope you do find that better school for your child. Good luck!

Posted December 02, 2014
First, in response to the reviews that addressed bullying in this school I would say that if ONLY ONE CHILD is bullied that is too many. No "parent" should feel that a small amount of bullying is acceptable. I must agree with the reviews that speak of the need for improvement at this school. Last year, my child was bored to tears in the classroom with an inexperienced teacher. If you have a HIGHLY gifted child this is not the best choice. The program is only part time and the regular classroom teacher does nothing extra. The resources are SADLY LACKING and I think referencing this school as a Science School is a stretch of the imagination. They lack a "science lab" with "real equipment" and an experienced Science teacher. Additionally, the school is at the back of a temple and lacks appropriate space for a proper school environment. During programs you are literally standing on top of another person. The class size is up to the limit in a very small space. Sadly, I think this is the only B school in the area. "Parents" can debate alot but its hard to dispute the numbers, lack of resources, and lack of space. There are better public and private options.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 14, 2014
I couldn't disagree with the previous review more. My kids and I love this school. This is our second year and we couldn't be happier. Every teacher we have had communicates with the parents all the time. If I send an e-mail it is responded to within 12 hours. All grades, curriculum, text books, practice activities and class info are online. We never had this before at our previous A rated public school. The front office staff are very nice and know all the parents by name. Finally, the Principal is anything but unpleasant. She is kind, caring and deeply cares about the school and children.

Posted September 14, 2014
I too disagree wholeheartedly with the very recent and negative review of this school. My child has been there since its inception. The office staff has NEVER been rude, on the contrary. The principal always makes herself available to address any concern I may have. The reason I chose to keep my child in this school for middle school is because of the excellent education she is receiving, attentiveness of the staff AND there is very little, if any, bullying to deal with. It would be very interesting to know more about the writer of that review, how many schools they have been through and the level of their rudeness to the staffs there.

Posted September 13, 2014
Major disappointment here. Science charter sounded good. It was a nightmare. My child was intensely bullied and it was not addressed. No extra help provided. Standard curriculum. The science aspect is pathetic. If that is your specialty it should be weaved into the everyday curriculum not just a weekly lab and a few activities. The hands on lab based part of the Science curriculum was not purchased and I had to request school to provide online access to textbooks. Busy work homework. The school test scores are pathetic, many lower than state average. I found the principal to be unhelpful and unpleasant. The teacher was new, clueless, and unprofessional. The governing board does not respond to emails nor phone calls. I could not reach my child's teacher by phone, leave messages, nor get return calls if requested. Rude in front office. Poor parent/school communication. No improvement on regular public. Whole reason for charters was improvement academically, better relationships with parents, and better communication. I don't see it here. If I could give it 0 stars I would. F grade. For profit schools are not the answer. Waste of tax dollars here.
3 people found this helpful

Somerset Academy Boca East
333 Southwest 4th Avenue, Boca Raton, FL  33432
Last modified Somerset Academy Boca East is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Academy Boca East Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top