Public charter
Boca Raton, FL

Posted January 24, 2015
This school is far from amazing. What is amazing is my child who deserved better than this school. There is alot of great talk & promises that are non-existent. The best description of this school is that it looks like a shiny, red, juicy apple but when you bite into it its actually rotten to the core and contains a worm or two. What further amazes me is how this school is does not have supplies, space, or equipment. Science? What Science? What amazes me is how some of the test scores are below the state average but the principal is delusional enough to think this is amazing. What amazed me was the teacher that "did not have time" to do her job and was nasty, unprofessional, self-centered, and egotistical. What amazed me was the front office worker who was too lazy to get off her behind to walk a child to class. What amazed me was the costs of supplies, uniforms, and etc. What amazed me the most was the parenting tips coming from a teacher and principal that don't have children of their own but are somehow so offended if questioned about their methods. Yes, all of that is amazing. And yes this is my opinion that I am entitled to since my tax dollars are being used.

Posted January 07, 2015
This is a great school for children between K-2nd grade. By 3rd grade kids need more enrichment, they need more hands on education, more space which the schools severely lacks, sports, less busy homework and more knowledge. No Gym/PE area. Extremely small cafeteria. This is supposed to be a Science charter school however the only Science the kids do is once a year for the annual science fair. No lab or science teacher. Art/Music/Computer are ALL in the same classroom. The "library"has no more than 100 books and is only open for a limited amount of time. The school is constantly doing fundraisers but I don't see any improvement or how the money is being used. The class sizes are 20-23 in very small classrooms. All the enrichment programs are fee based. The after school is a complete mess. The kids are unable to do homework during after care because they are stuck in the cafeteria where is extremely loud. There's two aftercare employees that are young and lack experience, unable to help kids with the homework, always on their phone and never paying attention to the children. You can go there during after school hours and find kids running around every where around campus.

Somerset Academy Boca East 4

Posted December 03, 2014
Somerset has been around 3 years. Yes, the school is still improving. I have an exceptionally smart child and his teacher does provide him with enrichment. Yes, I agree, the school should have a science lab and more equipment. I also believe we will keep improving an already amazing school. People have the right to hear your opinion. I hope you do find that better school for your child. Good luck!

Posted December 02, 2014
First, in response to the reviews that addressed bullying in this school I would say that if ONLY ONE CHILD is bullied that is too many. No "parent" should feel that a small amount of bullying is acceptable. I must agree with the reviews that speak of the need for improvement at this school. Last year, my child was bored to tears in the classroom with an inexperienced teacher. If you have a HIGHLY gifted child this is not the best choice. The program is only part time and the regular classroom teacher does nothing extra. The resources are SADLY LACKING and I think referencing this school as a Science School is a stretch of the imagination. They lack a "science lab" with "real equipment" and an experienced Science teacher. Additionally, the school is at the back of a temple and lacks appropriate space for a proper school environment. During programs you are literally standing on top of another person. The class size is up to the limit in a very small space. Sadly, I think this is the only B school in the area. "Parents" can debate alot but its hard to dispute the numbers, lack of resources, and lack of space. There are better public and private options.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 14, 2014
I couldn't disagree with the previous review more. My kids and I love this school. This is our second year and we couldn't be happier. Every teacher we have had communicates with the parents all the time. If I send an e-mail it is responded to within 12 hours. All grades, curriculum, text books, practice activities and class info are online. We never had this before at our previous A rated public school. The front office staff are very nice and know all the parents by name. Finally, the Principal is anything but unpleasant. She is kind, caring and deeply cares about the school and children.

Posted September 14, 2014
I too disagree wholeheartedly with the very recent and negative review of this school. My child has been there since its inception. The office staff has NEVER been rude, on the contrary. The principal always makes herself available to address any concern I may have. The reason I chose to keep my child in this school for middle school is because of the excellent education she is receiving, attentiveness of the staff AND there is very little, if any, bullying to deal with. It would be very interesting to know more about the writer of that review, how many schools they have been through and the level of their rudeness to the staffs there.

Posted September 13, 2014
Major disappointment here. Science charter sounded good. It was a nightmare. My child was intensely bullied and it was not addressed. No extra help provided. Standard curriculum. The science aspect is pathetic. If that is your specialty it should be weaved into the everyday curriculum not just a weekly lab and a few activities. The hands on lab based part of the Science curriculum was not purchased and I had to request school to provide online access to textbooks. Busy work homework. The school test scores are pathetic, many lower than state average. I found the principal to be unhelpful and unpleasant. The teacher was new, clueless, and unprofessional. The governing board does not respond to emails nor phone calls. I could not reach my child's teacher by phone, leave messages, nor get return calls if requested. Rude in front office. Poor parent/school communication. No improvement on regular public. Whole reason for charters was improvement academically, better relationships with parents, and better communication. I don't see it here. If I could give it 0 stars I would. F grade. For profit schools are not the answer. Waste of tax dollars here.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 08, 2014
This school is small right now but there are plans to make it at least twice the size that it is right now. That is disappointing since the principal promised to keep it small. Also, when I did google the company that runs my child's charter school as suggested by another review I was disappointed with the results. Hopefully, the principal can shed some light on these latest concerns and address parental concerns which are very serious at the beginning of the year meeting. Also, I would like to see a nurse full time on campus and more equipment. I do like the volunteer efforts of other parents and my son had a pretty good teacher last year. However, I am disappointed with what I am reading right now so I am giving a low rating.

Posted June 19, 2014
Before you enroll in this school just google the management company and see if this sounds like a good school. Personally, I think the school is lacking in academics, leadership, and some, not all teachers effectiveness. Many parents are ok with the school because it is good for those that are "acceptable." If you are not one of them don't bother even applying. Its basically a private school run with public funds. Just google it and see for yourself.

Posted April 19, 2014
As a grandparent who picks up my grandson, I find the teachers are pleasant, professional and well organized. My grandson Is learning so much and fast. His progress in writing, reading , and math skills is remarkable. I'm so grateful that we have this opportunity to send him to a quality school that demonstrates such commitment to the students. Couldn't be happier.

Somerset Academy Boca East
333 Southwest 4th Avenue, Boca Raton, FL  33432
Last modified Somerset Academy Boca East is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Academy Boca East Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top