Posted September 14, 2014
I couldn't disagree with the previous review more. My kids and I love this school. This is our second year and we couldn't be happier. Every teacher we have had communicates with the parents all the time. If I send an e-mail it is responded to within 12 hours. All grades, curriculum, text books, practice activities and class info are online. We never had this before at our previous A rated public school. The front office staff are very nice and know all the parents by name. Finally, the Principal is anything but unpleasant. She is kind, caring and deeply cares about the school and children.

Posted September 14, 2014
I too disagree wholeheartedly with the very recent and negative review of this school. My child has been there since its inception. The office staff has NEVER been rude, on the contrary. The principal always makes herself available to address any concern I may have. The reason I chose to keep my child in this school for middle school is because of the excellent education she is receiving, attentiveness of the staff AND there is very little, if any, bullying to deal with. It would be very interesting to know more about the writer of that review, how many schools they have been through and the level of their rudeness to the staffs there.

Posted September 13, 2014
Major disappointment here. Science charter sounded good. It was a nightmare. My child was intensely bullied and it was not addressed. No extra help provided. Standard curriculum. The science aspect is pathetic. If that is your specialty it should be weaved into the everyday curriculum not just a weekly lab and a few activities. The hands on lab based part of the Science curriculum was not purchased and I had to request school to provide online access to textbooks. Busy work homework. The school test scores are pathetic, many lower than state average. I found the principal to be unhelpful and unpleasant. The teacher was new, clueless, and unprofessional. The governing board does not respond to emails nor phone calls. I could not reach my child's teacher by phone, leave messages, nor get return calls if requested. Rude in front office. Poor parent/school communication. No improvement on regular public. Whole reason for charters was improvement academically, better relationships with parents, and better communication. I don't see it here. If I could give it 0 stars I would. F grade. For profit schools are not the answer. Waste of tax dollars here.

Posted August 08, 2014
This school is small right now but there are plans to make it at least twice the size that it is right now. That is disappointing since the principal promised to keep it small. Also, when I did google the company that runs my child's charter school as suggested by another review I was disappointed with the results. Hopefully, the principal can shed some light on these latest concerns and address parental concerns which are very serious at the beginning of the year meeting. Also, I would like to see a nurse full time on campus and more equipment. I do like the volunteer efforts of other parents and my son had a pretty good teacher last year. However, I am disappointed with what I am reading right now so I am giving a low rating.

Posted June 19, 2014
Before you enroll in this school just google the management company and see if this sounds like a good school. Personally, I think the school is lacking in academics, leadership, and some, not all teachers effectiveness. Many parents are ok with the school because it is good for those that are "acceptable." If you are not one of them don't bother even applying. Its basically a private school run with public funds. Just google it and see for yourself.

Posted May 18, 2014
Safe. Teachers are great! Caring office staff. Our kids love this school! Aftercare programs are also excellent! It seems as though they have resolved many of the issue I read on this page. It was the schools first year and they had some quirks to fix but it shows that all the fundraising they have done have managed to help the school tremendously. The fundraising they do is for that reason and is also optional. We came from two different Private schools and believe me... they asked for more. Even down to the point they asked us to bring in our old jewelery to donate for their school. Somerset Academy Boca makes learning fun and does not ask for any more than any other school. I know parents that have left Somerset because and now regret they did not stick it out because the next school year all their complaints were accomplished. This was our first year at Somerset. We decided to give it a chance and we are glad we did.

Posted April 19, 2014
As a grandparent who picks up my grandson, I find the teachers are pleasant, professional and well organized. My grandson Is learning so much and fast. His progress in writing, reading , and math skills is remarkable. I'm so grateful that we have this opportunity to send him to a quality school that demonstrates such commitment to the students. Couldn't be happier.

Somerset Academy Boca East 3

Posted December 08, 2013
Charter schools are one option for parents in terms of school choice. It meets the needs of some students but not all. Pro: small size (325 est), faster car rider, staggered dismissal, above average test scores, later start for K-5, school chooses own curriculum, enrolls K-6 currently, multiple enrichment activities, high parent involvement, certified teachers, some oversight by Palm Beach County School District, security fence, before/aftercare, two playgrounds, pull out ESE/gifted/ESOL, programs/fieldtrips. orientation, school info by email Con: No transportation, no nurse/clinic, Legally enforceable contract for required volunteer hours, uniform costs, fees, lots of fundraising/donations, limited oversight by Palm Beach County, limited chain of command by charter board (on your own with problems), lack space, no media special, most enrichment activities are fee based, teach to the test, profit based school, limited materials/supplies, higher than average supply costs, limited access to online textbooks, standard bullying issues, lots of homework,security issues, no beg year meet & greet, limited /no phone contact w/teacher, lottery, yearly RE-registration, lack full diversity

Posted December 08, 2013
Somerset Boca is great for my kids. They both love their teachers and are learning a lot. I know the teachers are challenging them and they are growing. They were not in the same class as their best friends from last year, but they have made new friends. They both love their specials too, PE, Music, Spanish and Art are their favorite every day. This school really encourages and nurtures every student.

Somerset Academy Boca East 3

Posted December 04, 2013
Very disappointed with this school. On the surface the academics look good but the kids are not getting the basic skills overall. It falls on the parents to actually teach the basic skills and the schools supplements. The facilities and supplies are lacking. The major focus is on fundraising and donations instead of educating the child. The head of the school is lacking the background experience to successfully push academics but is schooled in the economic part. The curriculum is a free for all with no real organization between grade levels. The school is smaller and therefore the car rider line is better but class sizes are still large. There is no real Science magnet aspect. This is one option for parents. Also, there is a good cost for uniforms, supplies, donations, fundraising, fees, and providing your own transportation. If you want average academics this is a good choice but if you are looking for a school that does not teach to the test and is strong in basic skills this is not it. But, then again the teaching to the test has become the standard. Lastly, even with the added fence security is lacking.

Somerset Academy Boca East
333 Southwest 4th Avenue, Boca Raton, FL  33432
Last modified Somerset Academy Boca East is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Academy Boca East Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top