834 students|Palm Beach

Bad
Good

Disappointed. We moved from the midwest 2 years ago and chose our home specifically based on the reputation of this school and Boca High. My initial interaction with the front office staff was less than stellar. We were considering an end of year transfer and I felt like it was very important to simply tour the school in an attempt to get a feel for the "heart" of the school as we all know there is only so much you can learn from researching test scores. I wanted to know atmosphere my children would be entering after a distant move. Did the students look engaged? Did the teachers seem positive? Was there positive energy in general? I was denied a tour. I attempted to take my request to the principle and assistant principle and was once again denied my request to take a simple tour before I brought my children on their first day. I was told I could drop them off out front or in the back and a teacher would be there to escort them the first day. Really?? We are talking about a 1st and 2nd grade child. What a welcome. I delayed our move to enroll them in the fall so they could start the year fresh. After a teacher change for both of my children, not being allowed to eat with my child even on their birthday, a vegan teacher making the class sit out at recess because one of the students parents brought cookies on his birthday, my gifted child being tested in October and still waiting placement in the gifted classroom in May (despite documentation of being in the gifted program at our previous school)...honestly I could on and on. But in the end I really wanted to love this school. I was counting on this school to be great. We jumped in with 2 feet and happy faces and in the end I was so disappointed. Both of my children had always loved school but 6 months after being at this school they were asking me "how many days until the weekend?". In the end....we enrolled in another school. They are happy and loving school once again. I decided on an average grade because I did feel like the school was safe and did an adequate job perhaps by state standards. I certainly did not see anything "special" happening.

I appreciate the comment from the reviewer who feels like an ATM machine. There is ALOT of solicitation for funds / fundraisers etc. And the supply list at the beginning of the school year is getting ridiculous. Between what the parents supply and what the teachers are still providing out of pocket where exactly does our monies go from all these fundraisers etc.? I love the school . Their academics are excellent and the teachers I have come in contact with are caring and knowledgeable.The front office can be unfriendly at times. I rarely see anyone there smile when they greet or talk to you.( How sad) Have a friendlier office staff and keep those money money requests to a few times a year instead of several a month and I would have no problem giving them that extra star.

Very disappointed. Just over two months into school and we just received a letter home - my stepson is on his third kindergarten teacher. We receive just as much material if not more, requesting money over information on education (five separate fundraiser requests this week alone) There is a lack of organization in communication and a marginalization of what's really important: the children and their progress. Lots of dittos, television watching-symptoms of inconsistent staffing. We'd love to see less paper coming home-going green-(use the emails we provided) and stable staffing, more information on what's happening in the classroom. As someone who has headed schools before, I'm saddened to be treated as an ATM machine rather than a partner in our Kindergartener's education.

I have had my son in this school now for his 3rd year.. (2nd Grader) I have no idea where the negative comments are coming from. This school is fantastic. Not everyone is perfect everyday, but this school is as good as it gets. I moved from Delray Beach to this neighborhood for my son to enter this school and I haven't regretted the decision once. Every year just keeps getting better. My family feel blessed to be part of this school and we are very active in it. (volunteer wise) You get out twice what you put in!!! Love the school and its programs... Wonderful teachers and faculty...

My daughter loves her school. Teachers are top notch, incredible professional and concerned with their student's wellbeing. They have an amazing Principal, Mrs. Burke who is dedicated to make of this school the best one in East Boca. I have read some negative comments about their office staff, but I can tell you that even if they may seem aloof at the beginning (perhaps because they're extremely busy), you will find out that they are also very caring and supportive. My daughter also takes a variety of classes with third party vendors, zumba, mad science, etc that are offered in the schools premises and she's happy with them. Their aftercare program does not impressed me much though, although Mr. Anthony is fabulous and kind; Mr. Steve can be simply boldly rude to deal with at times, especially with parents or grandparents whose first language is not English. I guess, he can't help it. Anyway, overall Addison Mizner is a great school and their team deserves recognition for that.

My son is now a 3rd Grader at AMES. Been there since Kindergarten. I can't say enough great things about the staff and quality of education he has received there to date. I have yet to meet a teacher who does not genuinely care about the children and their education. Teachers are tough, but fair. All of them have been great with communicating to parents. I don't see bad acts going on (fighting, stealing, bullying). The teachers simply do not put up with it. The parents are very involved - there is a strong and supportive PTA. The aftercare program is top notch (shout out to Mr. Steve). The only downside is the campus is old and bit run down - they have been making strides to improve it (painting, grass, etc...). I will take a great education over a pretty campus any day. New principal Burke is amazing.

Like most things, you can get from this education what you as a parent put into it with your child. The staff is great. Although not everyone always see eye to eye, these are caring professionals. I know I would do no better sending my children to private. I am grateful to the staff of Addison Mizner for a great job.

we have moved out of state, we only got a taste of the new leadership. although pick up, parking logistics are poorly regulated, the school has teachers that are first class. I miss it terribly and see my child in a zoo at his new school.Parents, stay on the staff and teachers, it can lend nice results.

This school is slowly bouncing back from horrible leadership. The previous principal allowed the school to become filthy - trash littered the walkways and common areas, the play areas are dirt and ruin your child's shoes and clothing, and the bathrooms were filthy with urine and feces everywhere. A new principal seems to be addressing the issues yet the teacher centric culture still prevails. The credit for the school's high rating is really more of a reflection on the neighborhoods it draws from. A new charter school opened and many people opted to send their children there. You can have excellent results or you can have poor . We have had both, mostly poor. It depends on who you know and whether you can pull the strings to get your kids in with the right teachers. Kids can go from being A/B students one year to C/D students the next. It sounds ridiculous but some teachers we worked with have actually lied to us - rather than address issues - While other teachers have been excellent and extremely helpful. It is luck of the draw, since there was so little actual leadership in previous years - the proof of this is in the reviews - earlier reviews are good while later reviews range.

I totaly agree that most of the office and staff are very rude, at every level acting as rulers of the world yelling at children and parents, they will ask you for a pick up plan as theirs is a total disaster for the school and comunity ;piling up cars in endless lines. zero common sense in resolving this critical problem expecting parents to park a mile away or children to walk home during a thunder storm because there are no contingencies allowable from them. Coming from another school also 2nd grade is just like kindergarten and even when obtaining excelent grades and test results they cannot place the children appropiately to their abilities and knowledge, is very frustrating, Teachers are good but they have to aknowledge that parent involvement has been the key to their good reputation. Gifted program is as good as your child can make out of it.The cafeteria also is very dated and actualy not good.

Last modified Addison Mizner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.