Spanish River Community High School

Public | 9-12 | 2369 students

Posted March 9, 2011

Excellent school!! My daughter goes there and she is really prepared for the university. She's been working hard, every day. The kids learn a lot.

Posted February 27, 2011

Our Son Attends Spanish River HS and let me just say we are so happy with the School, the Teachers and the Guidance Counselors have been fantastic as Our son attended a different Boca HS and was very unhappy, the kids were not welcoming nor where they freindly as in Spanish River he was Accepted and made some great friends as he came into the school in the middle of year back in 09 and Academically the other school was not challenging for him. He is very involved in their Business Entrepreneur Program and loves it..As far as Drugs go it was rampid in his last High School and Parents need to know it exists in ALL Schools. We Came from Another State and our children were in some of the best schools, and unfortunately Drugs were all over the School. We are very happy that we switched schools as Our son is thriving and couldn't imagine going anywhere else. We are very impressed with all the extra help this school offers students who need it, Ive had several meetings with the AP's and Guidance Counselors as well as my calls and emails returned very quickly. I would Recommend this school to anyone looking for a School that offers Students the chance to Succeed.

Posted February 18, 2011

excellent school great teachers my daugther is advance clases good staff and diverse after school activities

Posted January 22, 2011

I was very exited to send my son to SRH at first ,but little by little I become very dissapointed with the school, it is nearly impossible to get a meeting with the teachers, the principal's open door policy is somewhat questionable.Another parent wrote that if you are not of a certain religion or backgrund you don't get too much attention. I thin it is truly sad that students have to be of a certain religion and social standard to receive the education that every child deserves no matter where they come from

Posted April 27, 2010

Academically a Excellent school. Good kids who have great school spirit.

Posted February 23, 2010

Excellent, best school in the area. The principal gets very involved and the teachers are amazing.

Posted October 19, 2009

Spanish River's Athletic Department is excellent. The coaches are caring and work hard to be good role models. Unfortunately, the academics are not as good. My child was a mid-year transfer student. He received no orientation. The guidance department tries to do a good job, but the school is very large (2000 students) and there are only 4 or 5 counselors. I have heard that they do a good job for accomplished students, but our experience was not good. I could not recommend Spanish River.

Posted August 15, 2009

I do not like this school at all. I feel bad that my daughter had to attend and graduate from this school. Any parent who is thinking about sending their children to Spanish River High please think again, I'm sure you would rather have your child attending a better school than this one.

Posted July 13, 2009

I am a student here, and its not the best school, but its not the worst. Most students come from wealthy backgrounds, so it can be tough to fit in. The guidance is very helpfull. But the administration spends to much time on punishing troubled students not helping. I

Posted June 17, 2009

I am going to be a senior at SRHS and i think that all the parents that are bashing the guidance staff are very rude because i am in the bottom of my class and i am struggling to graduate, and the guidance staff has helped me the most so its not just all about the top 5% students that they care about so stop bashing them and grow up!!

Posted April 24, 2009

I agree with the parent who posted on August 5 th 2008. I was disappointed to see that the principle can not make time to be at important school functions. This school is definitely for the have and not for the have nots and the students discriminate against students who are not of the same religious backgrounds.

Posted April 10, 2009

i am currently a junior and I think that spanish river's teachers are mostly pretty good. But the students take advatage of the teachers alot and the school lets certain kids get away with skipping just so they wont drop out.

Posted December 4, 2008

I am currently a sophmore at SRHS and I absolutley love it! The principal gets very involved and the teachers are amazing. Everthing is great about the school except the football team.

Posted September 26, 2008

I am currently a graduating senior at Spanish River and I am positive I would have not received the same academic, athletic, and overall high school experience had I attended another school. Being reassigned to Spanish River my freshman year, I found the honors and AP classes challenging yet interesting. I quickly made friends and got involved in the school community. All of my teachers, with a few exceptions, have been wonderful and always willing to help as they are genuinely concerned for the education of the student. Those parents who complain regarding teaching need to reevaluate the academic drive of their own student. As for the classes, they are much more challenging than the private school curriculum from which many students enter SRHS from. Overall River is a fantastic school and I would reccommend enrollment to anyone ready for a challenge! :)

Posted October 21, 2007

After attending a charter school in the West Palm Beach area for all of 9th grade I transitioned back to my homeschool (SRHS) for the rest of my high school carrer. The teachers are absolutley excelent. SRHS has a long tradition of keeping teachers for years and years. One of my favorite teachers (biology, Mr. Adams) has been at the school since it opened! SRHS has prepared me for college in ways that I cannot even imagine. All the Advance Placement classes teach exactly like they do in college and it has really prepared me.

Posted October 7, 2007

Academic Programs are a disgrace the 'teachers' give the notes and expect the students to learn. Do not misunderstand me there are a select few who are decent teachers. What can I say the music and arts departments have much to be desired we have this theater that cost the school millions of dollars and it is almost never used. They have about 5-8 music classes if that. This school focuses too much on the seniors to even care about the underclassmen. Parents don't even get me started they ask there children how their day was and thats the end of the story. Overall terrible school in a stuck up community

Posted September 19, 2007

The school's okay. Not that easy to get into a click if you come in after freshman year. Guidence is poor, they don't seem to try hard enough to get classes right, took a month for me to get a class i needed for my grade level credit. It's not a horrible school, but I've been to better.

Posted September 17, 2007

I just started and i love school!!!

Posted July 29, 2007

Great school, high spirit level and many ways to get involved if the student has an interest to. Many levels of learning giving any student the ability to fit in and find a niche. Principal is uninvolved. Classes vary depending on teacher, but if lucky it can be a great experience! I would recommend any student to attend
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 15, 2007

My sister and I both went to Spanish River. I can confidently say, after completing an advanced college degree, that this high school thoroughly prepared me for the challenges of college and other aspects of life. Although Dr. McKee is no longer principal, many of the same teachers remain and the student environment is still positive and involved.
—Submitted by a former student

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

555 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

545 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

551 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

574 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

533 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

449 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music