Boca Raton, FL
Students enrolled: 2,369

Spanish River Community High School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 01, 2015
I attended Spanish river high school last year and I can tell you from an honest prospective that this school is a horrific school to attend. They call it a college prep school which when I asked what that meant to my teachers they said that it meant we treat you as if your an adult, which I soon learned that this resulted in teachers being able to give you a lot of work with out teaching us the material and not be obligated to help you with it at all, just give you the grade. My AP "Assistant Principle" goes by the name Mr.Markwardt he doesn't go by the rules, he practically acts like he owns the place he will go out of his way to get you in trouble. I would never wish him to be apart of any school that has kids in it since it's obvious this man should not be around kids. It almost seems like his objective for the day is to pick on you and get you in trouble. He has even cursed at me in his office before and threatened me. The school officer just sits around all day with Mr.Markwardt doing what ever they please to do, those too people together are practically untouchable. The school favors its Advanced Placement program and leaves the kids in regular classes or intensive classes with no funding what's so ever. I had multiple teachers each year that do not teach you a single thing and if you call up to complain about it they simply tell you "They have been here for over 10 years so there's nothing we can legally do about it" knowing that that's the response you get about a teacher not doing their job should instantly get you an idea about what kind of school Spanish River High School is. If I can give any helpful advice in my life it would be to save you or your child from going to this horrific place they call a "School" please take this into consideration cause I wish no one to make the same mistake I made when choosing what school to go to. Call the women that work at suit A for information about the school and just by the way they treat you, you will know what I mean by when I say this school isn't a school you would wish on anybody to attend.

Posted April 16, 2015
You either have money and belong to the cool group with showoff expensive cloth or your looked down upon. Too much homework in each class that keeps my son working tell 12 or 1 am and then getting up by 6 am. Worst part is that education is not all that and the teachers don't care about you. Very clickish school. not impressed, go some where else.

Posted February 17, 2015
This is one of the worst schools I have ever encountered. Rare are the teachers that care for the development of the young person. There are a few great teachers here, but not the majority. The parents are like a crazy club that wants to recreate their own high school. The PTA collects money relentlessly for their own social events, and very little goes into the education. The kids are mean to each other, unless their parents are wealthy. You need to invest in the top designers for your kids' wardrobe, and they are proud of this fact. The level of drama amongst the student body and the parents is unbelievable. The front office staff often do not know what is going on, and are rude to parents and students alike. We survived, but it was a nightmare.

Posted February 02, 2015
This is the absolute WORST SCHOOL IN THE WORLD. the administraters don't care and they barely help your child prepare for college. The teachers are rude and the campus is filthy. Don't even get me started about the women at the suite a help desk.... By far the most vile disgusting women I have ever come to contact with. I DO NOT recommend this bratty school.

Posted January 23, 2015
I graduated in 1987 from this school and they were opened just two years. I see now they are more competitive than they were back then. While this school was more simple than the school I came from in New York where we took the Regents examination, I had a great experience there in my junior and senior years. I remember the graphic arts course fondly with the big giant printer and the huge developing room for 35 millimeter film. I know technology has advanced and they got rid of that stuff, but that is stuff you take with you outside and transfer it to new technology which I have. The school spirit back then was great with the pep rallies during the day as we cheered for the Sharks to win. Most of all, the kids I met there were very cool back then. Since everyone was new, no one dared to make fun of each other. A lot of us got along. If anyone is reading this from the school that attends, let new kids into your circle. It's hard enough being the new kid as it is and you probably knew your friends your entire life since you lived in Florida that long.

Posted September 25, 2014
We couldn t be happier with Spanish River. My son is a freshman, and has had so many opportunities to get involved in clubs, and sports. He has enthusiastic teachers, an excellent guidance counselor, and a great group of friends. Why would anyone look at private?

Posted April 17, 2014
Zero tolerance to bad behaviors , wide range of AP classes,Excellent teachers specially for APs .....We couldn't ask for a better school. For ounce I feel I'm getting my tax money's worth when it comes to education.

Spanish River Community High School 4

Posted February 14, 2014
My son transferred from Boca High, which is also a good school. He has had a good year so far. If you are lucky enough to get Jill Rockwell as a Guidance Counselor, your child is in good hands.

Posted November 10, 2013
This is a great school. Most teachers are excellent and care about their students. They all offer to help before or after class and during lunch. You can even email them anytime with a question. The PTSA and the school websites have all the answers a new student might have. As for the nasty creatures they could crawl into your house and this will not make it a horrible house. Most students are nice some are mean. SORRY MATE our school IS NOT HORRIBLE.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 31, 2013
This is a horrible school. Most of the teachers and staff do not care about anyone and they're pretty unhelpful. The students here are horrible. The don't care about others and don't like to welcome new students into their "cliques." So, if you are considering moving here, I reccomened that you don't, you will regret it. Not to mention the gross campus and the nasty creatures like rats and cockroaches.
3 people found this helpful

Spanish River Community High School
5100 Jog Road, Boca Raton, FL  33496
Last modified Spanish River Community High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spanish River Community High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 82 reviews. Top