778 students|Palm Beach

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

My kids are in the gifted program and receive more homework than I did at their age, but I do not believe it is excessive. In fact, I think this is great as it helps to prepare them for the future workload at the higher grades.

I am a parent of 4th grade twin girls who started at Waters Edge since kindergarten. They were enrolled in the regular classes, recommended by their teaqcher to be assessed, successfully tested and moved to the gifted program in 2nd grade. They've loved all their teachers and have really enjoyed going to school there. We closely monitor their assignments and regularly help them with homework and projects and are very happy with what is being taught. Let's face it, kids will be taking standardized tests all their lives so I am all for building this proficiency into the curriculum. I disagree with those who say it is the only focus at the school. That's nonsense. Teachers are great, the principle is excellent, aftercare is affordable and fun for the kids and the counselors are very caring. The school also offers lots of extra-curricular activities and programs for free or at an added costs after school (dance lessosn, musical instruments, gardening club). As a parent that has attended A+ schools all his life, I am very happy to have found this school!

The school is great The problem are the attendants at administration office. They are always with bad humor! They does not have patience to explain and provide information to the children's parents!

Waters Edge is a GREAT school and they continue to do GREAT things for our kids! My child had a great experience at Waters Edge and I would not think of sending him anywhere else. The teachers go above and beyond what's expected to ensure the children are learning the curriculum, they not only enrich when needed, but tutor students before/after school to reteach skills and Administration even tutored students. There have been changes from the State as far as testing and that's not something the school can alter. There have been changes from the County as far as the report cards/grading and that's not something the school can alter. The children are learning, they are happy, they enjoy school, they participate in many school clubs, they attend field trips, and have dedicated parents that support them along the way. As far as previous posts, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but perhaps people should attend the parent meetings held at the school in order to understand what's happening with the curriculum and overall testing before blaming the school, the teachers, and Admin. I have to say, they DO care about our kids and they DO want ALL of them to succeed.

It should be known that this school is really just for gifted kids. In fact, they are bused in from other schools. IF YOUR CHILD IS NOT GIFTED, THEN DO NOT SEND THEM TO THIS SCHOOL!! The focus is only on the gifted. What they will do with your ungifted child is to teach them how to pass the standardized tests by giving them sample, after sample. They will only teach material that is on the test, and skip over the rest. There is no spelling or vocab tests to help with their reading and their new grading system and reading curriculum is a joke, which is why any review prior to 2014 should be disregarded because of the many recent changes. My child is now due to graduate, even though his report card indicates he is not on grade level (he was when he entered the school from a private school). They will just keep promoting your child (no child left behind!) because only 3rd grade is the retention year (good reason, huh)? I have finally decided to homeschool my child because this school had so grossly failed to prepare him for the 6th grade!

If you are interested in a school that is only teaching for successful standardized test scores, then look no further. There is no educational innovation here, just turning your kids into test taking robots. Nearly the entire year is spent preparing students for these standardized tests (FSA). The Common Core curriculum that has recently been implemented is a joke. Which seem to be a common theme for Common Core not just here in FL, but around the nation. Think of, "lowering the bar" to ensure greater success by more students. The gifted program here is very lacking. I am fortunate enough to have had an older child in a public school gifted program in the Northeast before moving to Florida. It is a night and day difference when compared to the GP at Waters Edge. This review probably speaks more about issues with most public school systems in general, but that is a whole other conversation. Having two children in this school I am just trying to convey my own experiences and thoughts related to Waters Edge. I am seriously considering private or home schooling at this point.

Many schools are struggling to implement common core. Waters edge does a particularly poor job. They are so focused on the tests and teaching to the tests. There is no innovation. The administration seems to have low expectations from teachers. Very disappointed with this A school.

Hi. I am a former student of WEES and it changed my life. I transferred here from another elementary school into the gifted program in first grade. I made all of my friends here and now I am in eighth grade. Great teachers that care, great specials, great people and a great curriculum. If your a parent and reading this, please let this show you that this school is great. Coming from a former students perspective, your child will love it there and have some great memories.

We just moved here from out of state and came from a very highly rated school. So far our experience has been HORRIBLE. Starting from the first phone call to the school to get information about how to register my two Elementary aged children. The person who answered the phone was rude and unhelpful. I finally gave up and called the county office. My younger son cried every night the first three weeks of school. "Curriculum night" consisted of the teachers telling us what would be the same as last year (which meant nothing to me as we were not here last year) and using a lot of acronyms we are not familiar with as we just moved here out of state. I keep having people tell me what a great school it is, but everyone except my older son's fifth grade teacher and the after school care (ATB) staff has been rude, unfriendly, and UNBELIEVABLY unhelpful! If this is what passes for a highly rated public school in FL, I am worried we made a mistake moving here!

my daughter went to water's edge elem from 1-5th grade. In kindergarten she was at del prado elementary. I have to say water's edge elementary is like a well oiled machine. Starting from the time I dropped her off to the time I picked her up. Most of her teachers were excellent. When I saw a previous post, I was surprised to see that someone would take their child out of an excellent public school and into one of the most expensive private schools around. She is lucky to be able to afford that option, but as a teacher myself, I have to say water's edge elementary is the best education (public or private) that they can give their child.

Last modified Waters Edge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.